Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City

On the day, the better side won. Exploited our frailties in terms of lack of central pace, and played with confidence to a game plan based on hard work, being first to the second ball and retaining possession. And on top of that they got in a good number of quality crosses.

Interesting to see if there are changes for Cambridge, and who comes in come January. It's only one game in what has been a great season so far. Need a positive response on Saturday.

Clearly a bad day. I hope Danny doesn't have to deal with questions about social media criticism in his interviews post match or pre Cambridge. We all know there is a tiny V vocal minority that will completely overreact but they DO NOT represent the majority!

Some people really do expect to win every game, don't they? Some shameful comments on here again. Occasionally we will lose a game; occasionally we will not play well; occasionally a team will play above itself because we are top of the league and the team to beat. Get used to the idea.

Personally I am delighted to be four points clear at the top at the midway stage with 47 points on the board. That is a fantastic effort.

On the day, the better side won. Exploited our frailties in terms of lack of central pace, and played with confidence to a game plan based on hard work, being first to the second ball and retaining possession. And on top of that they got in a good number of quality crosses..
All the things we have built our game around. They were certainly more mobile and bossed midfield completely, and passed to a red shirt. We had little cohesion or team pattern. And played negatively from minute one. They did it well, we did it poorly. Only going to be one outcome.

On top of that:
Andrade brought back too soon?
Did anyone notice that eardley took the last goal kick for vickers? Also rushed back?

Andrade ankle still playing up, calf strain for vickers and Danny said McCartan struggling too.
A really bad day.

DC just been on the radio. Vickers has a calf problem, Andrade struggling with an ankle and McCarten not 100%. Not excuses just facts and he sounded very angry but he said Crewe were the best side faced this season.

They out-Lincolned us!!!! Pressed hard for 90+ mins, battled for every ball, moved the ball well and scored two hard fought goals. Mnd you, I also thought the ref was shocking. Hardly gave us anything at all and penalised us for almost every physical challenge. I actually think he would have sent at least one of us off if we had battled as hard as Crewe. Hey ho - we move on to Saturday, but from what DC said after the game we could have three or four injuries.

Two years ago we lost at Guiseley on boxing day to put a dent in our lead at the top of the National League. Today we've lost but marginally improved our gd and maintained a 4 point lead in League 2.

Both disappointing days but an indication of our progress. But the squad's depth is being tested in these last few days before the transfer window opens.

It is not the defeat as much as the manner of the defeat and the quality of the performance. Occasionally it has happened in part of a game, and often it has been sorted at half time. First time in ages that it has happened for the full 90.
I doubt the team got much of the process right today. Feel a bit for those that travelled to watch.
Makes Cambridge even more interesting, looking forward to it.