Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City

All part of the evolution DC talks of. Energetic/combative less technically gifted midfield players like Whitehouse, Power and Woodyard have been replaced by older more experienced or technically better players like Freck, Pett and O'Connor. The new style leads to play that is easier on the eye, more creative but is more vulnerable. It is essential with our current midfield that we retain the ball more and dictate the pace of the game. The reality is that in L2 you do not get highly gifted young players that can do everything so it is a case of working hard on a system that can be relied upon to be effective most of the time. Perhaps Ellis is being groomed for the role of providing the legs in midfield whilst maintaining playing ability. If DC feels he is not quite ready yet we may see another battling central midfielder brought in to shake things up if we are struggling like today or provide a boost of energy to see out the last half hour of a match.

Mansfield have crept up behind us, and have only lost one game, but look to have a tough set of 7 games in 29 days in January.

Mansfield in January play 7 games.

Grimsby Away Tues 1st
Carlisle Away Sat 5th
Yeovil Home Sat 12th
Crawley Home Tues 15th
Colchester Away Sat 19th
Tranmere Home Sat 26th
FGR Away Tues 29th

They are probably the only team in the top 8 that haven`t had a bad patch yet, but all teams do and theirs will come before the end of the season.

Well I would say at least that all the players worked hard, defence especially (although they had little choice in that).
Vickers definitely kept the score down.
We DO need him properly fit to see us through 2nd half of season.
Midfield is where is was lost today. Maybe Pett being out wide is not to our advantage.
Up front, Harry Anderson was the only one to come out with any credit, and was my MOTM even before his late goal.

Mansfield have crept up behind us, and have only lost one game, but look to have a tough set of 7 games in 29 days in January.

Mansfield in January play 7 games.

Grimsby Away Tues 1st
Carlisle Away Sat 5th
Yeovil Home Sat 12th
Crawley Home Tues 15th
Colchester Away Sat 19th
Tranmere Home Sat 26th
FGR Away Tues 29th

They are probably the only team in the top 8 that haven`t had a bad patch yet, but all teams do and theirs will come before the end of the season.
Maybe their bad patch was all the draws!

Could be Plumbob, but I was counting those teams that had suffered a defeat and a draw or 2 in a sequence of games.
But next month will see how they do with those 7 games in 29 days.

Gonna have to take a break from going on LCB, I see the clowns are already out blaming Akinde solely for our first defeat in two months!!

He was booed off, which I expected. It seems every defeat we suffer is solely down to him for some people ?

I can't pretend he played well, but neither did anyone, barring Vickers. Midfield was non-existent, they cut us up at will and 2-1 flattered us in all honesty.

Amazingly, no harm was done to our League position, so it's Cambridge next. Least said soonest mended.

Listening to it on iFollow I assumed it was the Crewe supporters booing him.

I'd like to hear from someone who was in the crowd - maybe Syimp was? There was lots of booing audible on the feed, but there was every time he was involved in something, so it had to be Crewe fans.

I can't understand why anyone would want to boo a particular player of their own side off under any circumstances, let alone the current situation.

I thought it was the Crewe fans in the main stand booing him myself.
I was there!
The ref was absolute rubbish and called Akinde for fouls when they werent bad challenges,he booked him when there player went down and he barely touchedhim if at all.

I'd like to hear from someone who was in the crowd - maybe Syimp was? There was lots of booing audible on the feed, but there was every time he was involved in something, so it had to be Crewe fans.

I can't understand why anyone would want to boo a particular player of their own side off under any circumstances, let alone the current situation.

It sounded like it was coming from our side, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that and yes, I was there.

Best moment was when Rheady manhandled Ng off the pitch. I knew he was going to do it, but couldn't believe it when he actually did! ?Brightened up a frustrating day and allowed me to vent at the out-of-his-depth Sarginson.

Listening to it on iFollow I assumed it was the Crewe supporters booing him.
Agreed - commentators in middle of noisy home support, Imps fans opposite side of the ground barely heard all afternoon on iFollow. Booing of Akinde definitely from the home support and he'll hopefully take it as a compliment.

I was there definitely no booing of JA by Imps fans thought he battled well given that he was up front on his own thought Crewe played some really good football and just cut through our midfield, just one of those days like Man C and Portsmouth have found out today you cannot win them all.

Due a bad day at the office and this was definitely that. Forget this one and let's let Cambridge suffer the consequences. I am sure Danny will definitely want a reaction from the players.
One bright spot is Harry scoring again he must have nearly as many this season has he scored all of last season. I am sure somebody will come up with the stats?

You could see against Newport how not having Green limited our options in the second half. That needs to be sorted out pdq.

No one around me was booing our players, fair bit of critism aimed towards the ref. Lots of fans underdstably frustrated. Crewe seemed to be booing Rhead and Akinde.