Match Thread: Coventry City v Lincoln City | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Coventry City v Lincoln City

Liverpool kicked it long over the top non stop last night for Salah and Mane to chase. Milner went in with brutal force to every challenge man and ball. All the pundits agreed they were sensational, played very exciting beautiful football.

Lincoln kick it over the top and it is a hoof or longball. Our players play like Milner did and they are fouling, bullying monsters.

Liverpool and Roma players clutching their body parts for half of every minute following any kind of contact is "just the modern game."

How come it is all beautiful and part of the modern game for Liverpool yet it is back to the old dark days of a bygone era for us?

Funny how Robins says Accrington are the same yet the pundits are banging on about how they play fast flowing football.

Even Colin Murray seems to be hedging hid bets when talking about us by joining the "they play a certain way" when he is praising us. I suspect though with Colin Murray he is just pre-empting what the pundit might say in his answer and thus getting it out of the way to not waste time.

Getting bored of 60-70 yard Gerrard or Beckham balls being praised as glorious for the past couple of decades yet we just hoof it.

Rhead's goal last night was equal to any of Liverpools and their whole game plan was get it forward as quickly as possible, get into the opposition and give them no time. I see no difference other than the level of the players and both are glorious examples of what is best about British football. Fast, furious, exciting, attack is the best form of defence (jumpers for goalposts. lol) and what we should have been doing all through the 90s as a nation, not continually repeating the cliche "you have to play differently in Europe or Internationals."

This is English football and why it is the best and instead of the cliches they should take their pretentious hats off, realise that you are going to have more chance of winning things if you play your own game.

We might have done better in Europe through the nineties and England might do better if they dropped this BS tag cliche "go to", played to their strengths, what they do week in, week out in the league (including PL) stopped labelling unfashionable teams as "direct" but fashionable teams as "exciting" and got back to loving English football for what it is and what dominated the European stage throughout the 70s and 80s.

Fast direct battling exciting football minus the ridiculous cliches only decided upon by who you are and a preconceived idea of superiority or pretensiousness.

John Beck's side was exciting and I loved it. Schofield's side was exciting an I loved it, Alexander's sides were exciting and I loved it and the Cowleys follow that on. I would suggest Schofield's side potentially played the "prettiest" football but would you rather have Liverpool/Lincoln of last night or some side tapping the ball around in the middle rather than "attack, attack, attack?"

I daresay most people will be on the side of fast paced exciting football without the ridiculous labels.

We're still the wizards of necromancy and chiefs of the dark arts apparently! :LOL:
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/s...l-news/coventry-city-blow-again-play-14573593

"Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face!!"

"Carefully cultivated image as romantic new boys" err, how exactly have we carefully cultivated that image? Was it when we were careful to go on an unprecedented FA Cup run? When we were careful to win the Checkatrade Trophy? Or when we we careful to make it into the play offs in our first season back in the Football League? Do Coventry think they have the divine right to get promoted just because they have a big stadium and won the FA Cup three decades ago? It don't work like that.

What happened?

Travelled to the game (from Bucks) with my Coventry supporting season ticket holder and work colleague. Unfortunately the M6 southbound when coming back went down to one or two lanes can’t quite remember due to roadworks. Just as the cones ended the car gradually lost electrics, power steering, radio etc and finally lights including hazards ! He managed to get the car inside the coned off slow lane and awaited the “Free Rescue await with vehicle”. Waited and waited, then waited for extra cones to be placed out by Highways to effect safe recovery. Towed to Jnc 2 of M6 and awaited for a well known roadside assistance company. A sharpe intake of breath by the mechanic highlighted that this car ain’t going anywhere, (Auxilary belt cut). Had to await for their recovery truck (around 3 hour wait) to tow us to Northampton services on the M1 where we were unloaded and loaded onto a further recovery truck and home. That is a rather condensed version, we left Jnc 2 @around 0330Hrs for Northampton not helped by M1 closure between Jncs 16 to 18. Arrived Northampton services around 0430Hrs then arrived home @0600Hrs. What the above piece does not highlight is the cold (into the bones) and tiredness after a full days work and then a full night waiting and waiting and more waiting. So 3 recovery trucks, one mechanics van and 3 points for City. However, on meeting back up with my Coventry mate after the game at the Jimmy Hill statue the first thing he said was the “The best team won” and couldn’t understand Coventry’s formation or selection. Clearly that was before the Car incident so I thought it best not to dissect and analyse the game further. A broken car and a defeat is not the best choice of discussion points on a long long journey home.

So rhead is a "big lump"? I guess he was still in the bar with the other talentless local hacks when Matt scored that gorgeous opener, then.

"Carefully cultivated image as romantic new boys" err, how exactly have we carefully cultivated that image? Was it when we were careful to go on an unprecedented FA Cup run? When we were careful to win the Checkatrade Trophy? Or when we we careful to make it into the play offs in our first season back in the Football League? Do Coventry think they have the divine right to get promoted just because they have a big stadium and won the FA Cup three decades ago? It don't work like that.
This.

In a game of unpredictability and tonnes of variables, it's very difficult to be careful!

So rhead is a "big lump"? I guess he was still in the bar with the other talentless local hacks when Matt scored that gorgeous opener, then.
Well having read that article we can safely award the most bitter journo. accolade 2018 to this guy. It almost verges on a teenage strop at one point. I could feel his feet stamping and bottom lip trembling in Manchester:rofl:

Very biased articles from the Coventry paper. You'd expect it to a point, but comes across as petty and name calling.

Almost come across as being written by a fan rather than a journalist.

I’ve been to a fair few games in my time but that was one of the best. Incredible atmosphere from start to finish, incredible result and not a bad performance to boot.

Thought Coventry were one of the best passing teams I’ve seen and little surprised they’re not further up the league if I’m honest. They’ve got a handful of very good ball carrying players. In the first half every time they went forward they looked dangerous, particularly on the counter. We seemed to give them a lot of time on the ball and invited them on to us. I can’t quite put my finger on what the Cowleys changed at half time, but it worked! As good as they were going forward, they lack bottle and have a fairly substandard defence. In fact their full backs looked far better going forward than defending.

On to the important stuff. I thought we were magnificent last night. Palmer was brilliant considering he’s not a natural winger/wise striker, but he didn’t half look faster and fitter than ever. He has so much desire and belief and is really turning in some performances. That little flick through ball for Whitehouse..... just delicious. There were a few times where he looked a bit lost in the defending aspect but he certainly improved during the game. As has been said freck had a quality match. Rheady was superb, their defenders couldn’t handle him. Coventry fans can moan all they want but they won’t have seen many better goals than that thunderbolt. I know I haven’t.

Wharton looked decent at full back. Started a little bit shaky but he looked more than comfortable at the end. I’ve said it before, but I think he’s got one of the best touches in our team and easily the most composure. Also I like Wilson at centre back. You couldn’t really tell he hadn’t played 90 minutes in a couple of months. His added pace is very useful as well. Could Sam struggle to get back in?

Thought Bossie looked a bit knackered all match, but still did okay. Woodyard everywhere.

Now if us and Accrington can agree on a point on Saturday, wouldn’t that be great.

Reflections on last night.
Downsides, got piss we through walking to the car, traffic to get on the motorway crap so got back to Lincoln 12:30 ish.
But all that pales to nothing against the upsides !
Really nice stadium I thought (obviously looks weird less than half full), some nice touches in the concourse with staff wearing Lincoln tops etc. even little posters in the loo.
Found myself at the back with the singing section, so was bouncing & singing for 90 minutes, not quite ready to swap my season ticket for block 7 yet but I've never heard an atmosphere like it.
Coventry some fancy football but weak at the back and in goal, us well I never expected that. Considering we were struggling for fitness etc. was amazing.
Loved Danny's description of Ollie running like John Cleese at the end with his legs all stiff. Think we did overdo the timewasting a bit to be honest, don't think we needed to. With Rheady going down 3 times it is a bit obvious (actually 4 as he was flat out in the penalty area when Coventry scored the 1st equaliser I remember now) , maybe if we did it after a tackle would be less obvious than just sitting down for nothing.

So glad i bothered to pay on the night (after giving my tkt in saturday ) I thought we were Excellent.Im still not fit however i would like to thank James and Paul for looking after me to and from the car /game resulting in them missing Rheadys rocket ! It was very much appreciated there help and i hope they have seen the goal online.

Bloody hell. Sounded like a home game on iFollow.

Great result, amazing goals. Love Lincoln City.

Pics of the Merc that got trashed, lovely people!

don't know if there's any connection but on one of their forums there's a lot of bad vibes towards their goalie, along with a comment moaning about his merc being ever present outside the ground. Another comment threatens to put a brick through the windscreen...

quite exciteable, some of the contributors....

don't know if there's any connection but on one of their forums there's a lot of bad vibes towards their goalie, along with a comment moaning about his merc being ever present outside the ground. Another comment threatens to put a brick through the windscreen...

quite exciteable, some of the contributors....
At least two cars from Lincoln were damaged, volatile bunch clearly!