Match Thread: Coventry City v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Coventry City v Lincoln City

Wimbledon were non-league and progressed to football league and then did it all again. And they won the FA Cup and were founder members of the Premiership. To be compared to them is fine by me.

Disappointing, to say the least that at least one Imps car got trashed whilst at Coventry last night. Dents in many panels and windscreens broken. What low life's to cowardly do something like that, pure scum.

Also saw a lad hit on the head by a stone there 'fans' were throwing at us as we came out the stadium.

A few comments from that article about how Lincoln played:

"wrestled" "bullied" "dark ages" "route one" "lump of a centre forward" "hoofing the ball" "agricultural Lincoln challenges" "whinging media darlings"

Interesting read - basically Robins is saying they bottled it when faced with a more physical challenge and LCFC's style of play was reminiscent of times gone by - but interesting to listen to Freck's post match interview when he said that the team mixed things up in terms of style of play far more than they had done in previous games - and so it proved - more please at Accy on Saturday - great night out, great stadium & great result - UTI

A few comments from one Coventry fan in particular had me giggling. I have toned down/censored the language as it is pretty blue on their site, mind you they are the Sky Blues.

stevefloyd wrote

"For years now our corners are f**king useless, how can it be possible to consistently be that bad at taking corners? Opposition always seem to take a decent corner so why have do our lame f**ks struggle? and don't even get me started on that ginger tw@ standing like a statue on throw ins...still f**king seething at last night!!!!! "

and about their keeper

Definitely not harsh on that blunder f**k...I was directly in line at the time and he stood there like a cowering chicken !!!!! if anything we haven't been harsh enough on the clown

Can't see our fans laying into the players as much as the Coventry fans do.
Seriously, if you want a bit of a laugh or just need cheering up hop over to their site and have a look.

Trouble is Coventry haven't had to watch Tatey-Patch football, like we had to over recent years. That was agricultural.
Our system has changed to something more direct with the 4-3-3 in recent weeks, but it's effective and really working. It's exciting to watch as well.

We're still the wizards of necromancy and chiefs of the dark arts apparently! :LOL:
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/s...l-news/coventry-city-blow-again-play-14573593

"Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face!!"

Good grief! Why do some people find it impossible to be magnanimous nowadays?

"The Imps wrestled the full three points off the Sky Blues..."
Not really, no.

"Coventry had the lion’s share of possession..."
They actually had 53% of it according to the official stats. The poor lion would be starving on that basis. Possession is only relevant if you know how to use it.

"...they were effectively bullied to defeat."
How do you bully a team to defeat, exactly? I thought you had to score more goals than the other team.

"...a number of agricultural Lincoln challenges..."
That is what the ref is there for, and Mike Jones is from the Premier League.

"...the Sky Blues twice hauled themselves level only to be downed by three route-one goals."
I have watched the footage on iFollow and cannot see three route-one goals. And even if they were, what is wrong with that? That is what your defence is for.

Very poor journalism, very biased indeed.

And from Mr Robins:

"...we’ve scored two really well-worked goals and they’ve scored goals where they’ve lumped the ball forward."
Ahhh, nasty Lincoln!

"Rhead’s bullied our two centre-halves and Palmer’s done the same."
Ahhh, shame! Presumably Rhead and Palmer called them names and stole their pocket money.

"Robins likened them to Wimbledon of old, and hoofing the ball in the general direction of a lump of a centre-forward."

Very poor analysis by a manager. Anyone with half a brain will recognise that Rhead is far from being 'a lump of a centre forward'. One brilliant goal and two excellent assists, and that is all Robins can come up with. Idiot.

This is Robins' sixth job as a manager and he has never won promotion. His points-per-game rate stands at 1.42, which is worse than Gary Simpson's record at Lincoln. If Coventry want promotion, I know where I would begin.

Was DC being a bit tongue in cheek when he spoke pre match regarding Burge commanding his area?

The Coventry forum is full of negative stuff about Burge and has been all season. Most of them thought it a joke that he was named in the League Two Team of the Year.

I must admit I was worried how narrow we were going to be before the game with no wingers in sight, no matter how good Eardley is at finding space and timing his runs. The flip side is that we had six physical monsters in the air that dominated defensively and attacking plus as Croozey points out the freedom for Freck to get forward without Whitehouse in the side (no offence against Elliott BTW) and added insurance of the Boss behind him. When DC said he would look at who was available and pick the best 11 for the tactics he wasn't kidding. A tactical master stroke and astounding physical effort from the whole squad.

Before the game in our 'Three Things' thread, we wrote:

"1. Attack them

Having had a great first half of the season defensively, Coventry have suddenly started to concede goals. They have only kept one clean sheet in their last eight games despite some relatively straightforward fixtures on paper, and the 6-2 defeat to Yeovil will still be in their minds. They have conceded 14 goals in those 8 games and may be vulnerable psychologically.

2. Keep McNulty quiet

They are very dependent on him for goals - he has scored 23 goals this season, but no one else in the current squad has more than 6 (Biamou and Ponticelli). McNulty has scored five in the last three home games and is definitely the danger man.

3. Dodgy keeper alert!

Despite being named in the Sky Bet League Two Team of the Year, many Coventry fans appear not to rate goalkeeper Lee Burge. With the aerial power of Rhead, Palmer, Waterfall, Wharton and Bostwick (if available), City should target the keeper - just in case those critical Coventry fans are right."

Were we right, or were we right?

Just awake after last nights, this mornings distractions on the M6, can’t seem to find any links to post match with DC. Are there any posted anywhere yet ?

Really? We were fantastic from minute zero. First half was like basketball. I saw Robbie Williams at the Ricoh in June and said at the time how much I was looking forward to going back there to watch The Imps. What we did was beyond my wildest expectations and even bette than a Robbie concert - even my Mrs would agree!

Performance of the season for me we looked calm and collected at the back and going forward the Coventry defence looked all over the shop against the 3 up top
Support was superb for the whole game
They’ll not want us again any time soon

Good grief! Why do some people find it impossible to be magnanimous nowadays?

"The Imps wrestled the full three points off the Sky Blues..."
Not really, no.

"Coventry had the lion’s share of possession..."
They actually had 53% of it according to the official stats. The poor lion would be starving on that basis. Possession is only relevant if you know how to use it.

"...they were effectively bullied to defeat."
How do you bully a team to defeat, exactly? I thought you had to score more goals than the other team.

"...a number of agricultural Lincoln challenges..."
That is what the ref is there for, and Mike Jones is from the Premier League.

"...the Sky Blues twice hauled themselves level only to be downed by three route-one goals."
I have watched the footage on iFollow and cannot see three route-one goals. And even if they were, what is wrong with that? That is what your defence is for.

Very poor journalism, very biased indeed.

And from Mr Robins:

"...we’ve scored two really well-worked goals and they’ve scored goals where they’ve lumped the ball forward."
Ahhh, nasty Lincoln!

"Rhead’s bullied our two centre-halves and Palmer’s done the same."
Ahhh, shame! Presumably Rhead and Palmer called them names and stole their pocket money.

"Robins likened them to Wimbledon of old, and hoofing the ball in the general direction of a lump of a centre-forward."

Very poor analysis by a manager. Anyone with half a brain will recognise that Rhead is far from being 'a lump of a centre forward'. One brilliant goal and two excellent assists, and that is all Robins can come up with. Idiot.

This is Robins' sixth job as a manager and he has never won promotion. His points-per-game rate stands at 1.42, which is worse than Gary Simpson's record at Lincoln. If Coventry want promotion, I know where I would begin.

Abso - bloomin-lutely. If he is worth a light he should read this, THINK about the whole performance and result, and use it in his team talk from their last two games. But why should I care about them.

If you're letting in four goals to a team that just lumps it up then you're probably not doing a very good job as manager are you.