Match Thread: Colchester United v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Colchester United v Lincoln City

Where are we the Smith loan deal?
The lack of clean sheets can’t go on people keeping on pointing to out league position but a lack of goals from the fowards and clean sheets will cost us eventually

Imagine if that was a supporter saying that big John didn't do enough.....There would be riots. ?

It's not good is it. When you're going through a goalscoring 'blip' the minimum you do is 'enough'. Usual caveat re his personal situation this week but if Danny didn't think he could do 'enough' he wouldn't have selected him I imagine.

Still get the feeling some are happy when we're losing than winning.

If we lose and play well and it's a close game...then you can find solace in the fact that you competed. If it is against a much higher team in the football pyramid, then there is no disgrace and you can hold your head up high.

If you don't get off the bus and have travelled any distance at all, or changed your plans to go to a game or invested any time whatsoever....then losing ruins your week.

The only pleasure I have taken in us losing was the FA Cup Quarter Final and The 2nd Round of The League Cup in 1993, when we lost 4-3 to Everton. Such a great game. Still gutted when that late goal went in....but what an equaliser from Hoof.

"Harry lacked quality, Bruno looked tired, McCartan did nothing, Akinde didn't do enough."

Danny is spot on with that. Bruno's worst game of the season. Harry has to start producing or we either have to go with 4-3-3 or give Gordon a go, Mccartan's worst game for a while too, and Akinde was just Akinde.

I'm concerned other sides have worked us out. Press high to put pressure on our back 5, and that stops us getting any quality further forward.

I ways thought that they wanted to draw the press and get players out of position. What frustrates me is going long to akinde, when he is much more effective with the ball at his feet. A good week off and time to reflect will really help us I think. Give us some time to iron out the problems.

I'm fed up of Anderson hiding behind the opposition full back when our right back has the ball, he never offers an option. When he does get the ball he always turns back and passes to the right back, when was the last time he had the beating of a full back?

Andrade struggled, Colchester's two right sided players worked very well as a pair offensively and defensively.

McCarten didn't get into it and Akinde put in the type of performance we're getting used to. Nothing stuck to him, he struggled in the air and looked frustrated, understandably as the service to him was often poor. That said he could have made life more difficult for their defence and got himself involved

We just couldn't seem to create anything, our passing was slow and predictable and often resulted in a hopeful punt up the field, we couldn't get the widemen involved, whilst we struggled with theirs.

All this said, we were always going to hit a tough patch, we have options in the squad and a management team that clearly see the problems and as we know have the desire and skill to put them right. Very frustrating day!

Just got home, that was very very poor. They let the supporters down. 1-0 flattered City, the other lot had us worked out, wanted it more, and our only real shot on goal came in the final second.

Tardy to the match day party today, just checked into in a hotel in Chemlsford. It wasn't the greatest match in the Cowley's tenure, but hardly the end of the World either.

In the words of Alexander the Great, the support for the Imps was magnificent.

Last edited:
I'm fed up of Anderson hiding behind the opposition full back when our right back has the ball, he never offers an option. When he does get the ball he always turns back and passes to the right back, when was the last time he had the beating of a full back?

Andrade struggled, Colchester's two right sided players worked very well as a pair offensively and defensively.

McCarten didn't get into it and Akinde put in the type of performance we're getting used to. Nothing stuck to him, he struggled in the air and looked frustrated, understandably as the service to him was often poor. That said he could have made life more difficult for their defence and got himself involved

We just couldn't seem to create anything, our passing was slow and predictable and often resulted in a hopeful punt up the field, we couldn't get the widemen involved, whilst we struggled with theirs.

All this said, we were always going to hit a tough patch, we have options in the squad and a management team that clearly see the problems and as we know have the desire and skill to put them right. Very frustrating day!
Anderson gave Carlisle full back a miserable night in mid-week