Match Thread- Cardiff Vs Forest, sponsored by let's just get this over with | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread- Cardiff Vs Forest, sponsored by let's just get this over with

Hold on.

It's not time for that yet.

We need at least one more win, possibly two, and to make sure we don't lose at St Andrews or Hillsborough.

I agree we'll probably be ok, but it's over when the maths says it is and until then we still have work to do
being at the bottom end and teams below you needing wins to catch up is very different to being at the top end tho. Theres just no way many of those sides below us are going to win many games. We also have decent goal diff at that end which is a point in itself.. We are safe in all realitiy. yayyy

and I thought I was a pessimist, but you're probably right must be safety first, but it would take an implosion to top last season to relegate us now, and the prospect of the teams below us picking up enough points to overhaul us is much lower than teams at the top end picking up the points like they did last year

oof i pretty much just parroted you

and I thought I was a pessimist, but you're probably right must be safety first, but it would take an implosion to top last season to relegate us now, and the prospect of the teams below us picking up enough points to overhaul us is much lower than teams at the top end picking up the points like they did last year
We are only 3 points better off than we were at the same stage in 2017; in that season we had not been in the relegation zone at any point until a few minutes on the last day.

Nottingham Forest are capable of ANY level of capitulation.

I think we will be ok though, and a win at home to QPR would give us a lot more security a lot earlier than I had dared hope.

We still need a 0-0 at St Andrews though

being at the bottom end and teams below you needing wins to catch up is very different to being at the top end tho. Theres just no way many of those sides below us are going to win many games. We also have decent goal diff at that end which is a point in itself.. We are safe in all realitiy. yayyy
At this point last season Charlton had the same number of points we have now and a similar goal difference. Luton and Barnsley were on 39 and 38 points respectively; exactly where Birmingham are now.

Look what happened.

Barnsley and Luton both went on runs of playoff form. Charlton collapsed, scoring only 3 more points.

I think we'll be fine, but the football god's love to confound an arrogant forest fan

We’ll be fine.
One cannot argue with points on the board and shit teams below us, suddenly, finding play-off form.

Wycombe and sheff wed are down, can Rotherham win three of their spare games when playing every two/three days until the end of the season? Very much doubt it...

We’ll be fine.
One cannot argue with points on the board and shit teams below us, suddenly, finding play-off form.

Wycombe and sheff wed are down, can Rotherham win three of their spare games when playing every two/three days until the end of the season? Very much doubt it...
Man sent off today too. Ouch. Bet they could have done without that

You'd hope the Forest squad were extremely focused, as they must be keenly aware of the gulf between league position last season and this. They have a lot to prove.

As I believe we have enough quality in the squad, I feel more confident now that we'll stay up. Players like Garner and Krovinovic help instil confidence on the ball, and we're usually very sound defensively. Just need to score more goals...

Rotherham still have an excellent chance at staying up. 3 games in hand over Birmingham and only 3 points behind. If Swansea beat Brum this eve, it’s 4 games to find 1 win and it’s suddenly very interesting. Really hope the millers do it too. They’ve been very unfortunate with Covid disrupting their season.

Rotherham still have an excellent chance at staying up. 3 games in hand over Birmingham and only 3 points behind. If Swansea beat Brum this eve, it’s 4 games to find 1 win and it’s suddenly very interesting. Really hope the millers do it too. They’ve been very unfortunate with Covid disrupting their season.
Or careless?

I think most of us want to see good football from Forest, either attacking or counter-attacking but against some teams we need to be able to win the physical battle and play on their terms.

Today we pretty much did that against one of the worst shithouse teams in recent history. It was also interesting to see which players stood up and which disappeared up their own arsehole.

At this point last season Charlton had the same number of points we have now and a similar goal difference. Luton and Barnsley were on 39 and 38 points respectively; exactly where Birmingham are now.

Look what happened.

Barnsley and Luton both went on runs of playoff form. Charlton collapsed, scoring only 3 more points.

I think we'll be fine, but the football god's love to confound an arrogant forest fan

Yes, but Wigan's plight played a significant role in the Relegation battle; even with the tremendous run they put together, Barnsley would still have been down had it not been for the deduction.

Wycombe and Wednesday are as good as down; Rotherham could put a run of games together, but if they do it will be at the expense of Wycombe, Huddersfield and Birmingham.

Look what happened.

This is true, but the gap to the 22nd team was 6 points, not the 10 that Forest hold, and the teams in places 18-21 were all only 3 points or fewer worse off than Charlton. In addition to the 10 points gap to Rotherham, Forest have 7 on Birmingham and 6 on Coventry, so not only does a much larger gap have to be surmounted by the 22nd team (and I accept Rotherham have games in hand), but also the teams in between would have to do much better than was required last season.

This is true, but the gap to the 22nd team was 6 points, not the 10 that Forest hold, and the teams in places 18-21 were all only 3 points or fewer worse off than Charlton. In addition to the 10 points gap to Rotherham, Forest have 7 on Birmingham and 6 on Coventry, so not only does a much larger gap have to be surmounted by the 22nd team (and I accept Rotherham have games in hand), but also the teams in between would have to do much better than was required last season.
Rotherham only need to win one of their games in hand to be in exactly the same position, so I would say the point is moot.

But I agree, if there is a repeat this season I don't see it being us (or Derby)

Rotherham only need to win one of their games in hand to be in exactly the same position, so I would say the point is moot.

But I agree, if there is a repeat this season I don't see it being us (or Derby)
No: winning the game in hand makes the gap 7, not 6,. So that point is not moot. The other issue, namely that the other strugglers are in relatively worse positions so would have to improve massively AND not damage other strugglers in so doing means that Forest will not go down.

No: winning the game in hand makes the gap 7, not 6,. So that point is not moot. The other issue, namely that the other strugglers are in relatively worse positions so would have to improve massively AND not damage other strugglers in so doing means that Forest will not go down.
And looking back over the table to do this, it is incredible that Swansea were 10th, 8 points and a goal difference 9 worse than Forest, at that point in the season.

Winning one game in hand would take Rotherham to 38 the same gap as between Charlton and Barnsley at this time last season; and that's assuming Rotherham lost both of their other GIH

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy told BBC Sport Wales:

"It was the classic game of two halves, they were better than us in the first half and managed to get the goal and probably deserved it.

"We didn't get going, but we had a great reaction in the second half and we were the best side but couldn't manage to get the goal.

"I know Chris' teams are hard to break down, they are a tough nut to crack, and we knew if they scored the first goal it would be tough, as it would for them if we got the first goal.

"The second-half reaction was good, we weren't at our best in the first half, but give Forest credit for that - we couldn't get going. We weren't at the standard we've been at."

Mick McCarthy is always the same- incredibly honest and fair