Match Thread: Cambridge United v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Lincoln City

Our squad is too thin

Our midfield is lacking a woodyard type. We have no left and right back cover. We have an injured keeper. We have sold a striker already and we are short of wingers.

If we want promotion that is a sensible recruitment

2-1 win away from home, sitting top of the league, how many points clear ? Not sure January is the right time for fullscale recruitment. I'll leave the rest for DC, he knows what he is doing.

2-1 win away from home, sitting top of the league, how many points clear ? Not sure January is the right time for fullscale recruitment. I'll leave the rest for DC, he knows what he is doing.

Winter pitches bite. We need to ship out the loan bench warmers and replace with players fighting for the first 11. We need backup when the injuries and suspensions take hold (they will as they always do).

When you are top you strengthen when you can - we need to see off MK Dons and the stags.

Winter pitches bite. We need to ship out the loan bench warmers and replace with players fighting for the first 11. We need backup when the injuries and suspensions take hold (they will as they always do).

When you are top you strengthen when you can - we need to see off MK Dons and the stags.

How do you know those current "bench warmers" are not fighting to get into the current first 11 ? Perhaps we may well send a couple of loanees back and thank them for their contribution, but perhaps they may be replaced by another couple of "bench warmers" so when we do get the suspensions / injuries they will be raring to go just like they are now, those are the finishers.

I wouldn't call them "bench warmers" I would call them a group of players who together are Team Lincoln and have got us to the top of the League and to the third round of the FA Cup giving supporters another great day out at Everton (win or lose). I'm sure DC / NC are only too well aware of where they need to strengthen, the team does not require wholesale changes and certainly not in January.

A Second half Camback

My first trip to The Abbey Stadium, so I brought mini Jeff to show him another piece of Lincoln history. For it was here that our one time great, Lord Beck of Jamesons and friend of HM Customs and Excise, learnt his trade in football management.

The first half can be referred to in a simple way.

"A load of sh*te"

Cambridge showed brutally, with the help of some interesting officiating, how to take apart at team who aren't a physical team anymore. A team who want to play. They did it with ease, and if it had not been for the crossbar and a couple of other pieces of poor finishing, it would have been over before the end of the first half. I must mention, no, single out Harry Anderson as being the only player to come out of the first half with any credit whatsoever. Every other player looked like they'd been enjoying too much egg nog and Granny's favourite sherry trifle.

Fortunately half time came and mini Jeff wolfed down his chips.

The second half started with a bit more oomph and frustration grew with the time passing. Anderson looked unplayable. If we want to keep our chance of promotion going forward, we really need to keep hold of him, at least until the summer.

Then a free kick, from Neal Eardley, to beat Shackell's tub thumper. Think back to 2001 at Old Trafford, when a Mr Beckham hit the sweetest drive to beat the despairing dive of the Greek keeper. This was up there...in fact this was better. It had more bend, spin and curve on it than Peter Mandleson, Alistair Campbell and Shane Warne could muster between them.

With pomp and circumstance duly regained, Lincoln pressed for the second. And it came. A beautiful, pin point header from Matt Ree-yad (as pronounced by the Announcer at the stadium) Akinde managed to turn and scuff the ball home from 4 yards. The crowd went wild and the Cambridge United fans were quieter than when someone farts in a crowded lift.

The backs to the wall job then started as Cambridge put all their punters in one basket and desperate tackles and blocks came to the fore. Grant Smith showed why he is an exemplary keeper and I thought his saves and dominance in the box showed that he has been very unlucky to be Vickers' number two. He has improved exponentially since the start of the season, and I imagine the Cowleys rue their decision to effectively cup tie him.

Lincoln held firm and with ten mins of added time completed, that was that. Another smash and grab completed, however given how poor we played in large parts of the first 55 mins, I would say that this was by far one of our more audacious ones.

We go on. Fifty points now, but we must not rest on our laurels. We need to keep our key players and sign some more. As a final addendum I thought Ree-yad and Akinde played well together, but Anderson was a class apart.

Happy New Year one and all!!
Banana skin defeat it is then!
With Pope playing this time!

All over my twitter yesterday that someone handed in an eight page letter detailing where we were going wrong and what positions the players should be playing, formations etc.
Guess that said person spends too much time on his playstation!

I didn't hear of anyone writing an eight page letter to the various managers at the helm in our National League years. Perhaps if they did we may have finished above 13th. Or perhaps they were too busy watching football at Old Trafford to care.

There have been discussions on here, probably amounting to more than eight pages, on how poor our free kicks are, how poor our corners are, how poor our throw-ins are...

Good job we are top of the league by 6pts or you would have said even more players needed!???

And missed out an extra person behind the centre forward...only got McCartan on loan and Matt Rhead today. Could do with at least 2 more there ?

Then surely a new set of subs as well !

I was shocked honest the guy next to me call a Cambridge player a "black ****" early on in the game. Seems Lincoln's reputation as a bit backward is warranted...

I don't think that Lincoln is a bit backward nor should we have a reputation for it. There is an equal element of dinosaurus across the country (world) where some people might not be racist (or at least not show it) or other discriminatory behaviours and don't seem to realise what they are saying is unacceptable.

And for every 1 that says something you can guarantee there are multiple times more that can control their mouths but are thinking it.

We would be foolish to think that this sort of thing has been eradicated but by the same merit we should accept that progress has been made yet there is still more to do.

I don't like to hear comments about Lincoln or Lincolnshire in this way. I also find that bigoted because it just isn't true. This is not a Lincoln / Lincolnshire specific problem nor more prevalent in Lincoln / Lincolnshire.

If they said that next to me then I would be having a word, especially if my lads were with me seeing as they are mixed race (although they do look white.)

I don't think that Lincoln is a bit backward nor should we have a reputation for it. There is an equal element of dinosaurus across the country (world) where some people might not be racist (or at least not show it) or other discriminatory behaviours and don't seem to realise what they are saying is unacceptable.

And for every 1 that says something you can guarantee there are multiple times more that can control their mouths but are thinking it.

We would be foolish to think that this sort of thing has been eradicated but by the same merit we should accept that progress has been made yet there is still more to do.

I don't like to hear comments about Lincoln or Lincolnshire in this way. I also find that bigoted because it just isn't true. This is not a Lincoln / Lincolnshire specific problem nor more prevalent in Lincoln / Lincolnshire.

If they said that next to me then I would be having a word, especially if my lads were with me seeing as they are mixed race (although they do look white.)

Yep, I think it's totally unfair to stereotype this as a Lincoln thing. Similar has allegedly happened at Chelsea and Arsenal in recent weeks. As Skip said, in an ideal world it needs to be reported but I understand that isn't always the easy thing to do.

I must also say I heard nothing offensive from behind the goal in the South stand. Plenty of discussions in the first half about all the formations that would fare better than 4-4-2 though ?

Just been reading through a few earlier comments. Embarrassing is an under statement, some of you lot who post pathetic comments such as

Our defence is too slow
We can't hold the ball up
Our back up players are no good
We need 6 or 7 new players
We’ve been found out
Our players are tired.

What a load of utter utter b*ll*cks. A sense of entitlement is what DC calls it when it is suggested we should win matches easily and he hates it and quite rightly so.
6 points clear at the top of league 2, 3 years ago we had CM as manager and were sliding into oblivion.
Idiots out there get a bleeding grip!

Now Eardley has found his scoring boots, the link below shows a similar goal from 2010 when he was with Blackpool.

Opponents - Everton

Can lightning strike twice?

Just been reading through a few earlier comments. Embarrassing is an under statement, some of you lot who post pathetic comments such as

Our defence is too slow
We can't hold the ball up
Our back up players are no good
We need 6 or 7 new players
We’ve been found out
Our players are tired.

What a load of utter utter b*ll*cks. A sense of entitlement is what DC calls it when it is suggested we should win matches easily and he hates it and quite rightly so.
6 points clear at the top of league 2, 3 years ago we had CM as manager and were sliding into oblivion.
Idiots out there get a bleeding grip!

Couldn't agree more, although MaineRoad puts it better than I !