Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City

Have just seen the stats for the game

Burton had 27 attempts on goal....9 more than we had at Cambridge. We had 12 attempts. Didn't feel like that at the game mind but 27 attempts is a lot!

A lot of their attempts did trouble the top of the stands rather than the actual goal though

Burton had 27 attempts on goal....9 more than we had at Cambridge. We had 12 attempts. Didn't feel like that at the game mind but 27 attempts is a lot!
Do they mark down every time they hoofed it too long and it went out for a goal kick as a goal attempt?

Yes they may have had 27 attempts on goal but they were nearer the corner flag or over the stand

The Xg on the game (basically 3-1 to Burton) shows how ludicrously misleading stats can be.

After the second goal I never felt, despite home pressure, that the result was particularly in doubt, and the game had almost petered out when Burton scrambled their goal. What followed after that was crazy.

During the match we scored twice, missed two one-on-ones and an open goal from a yard out, had several other opportunities (we'd had four attempts on target in the first 10 minutes) yet our Xg is meant to be 1.1?

We did concede an awful lot of chances ourselves though. Literally a minute after we'd scored when they gave us the ball in a dangerous position, we obligingly did the same for them but the (allegedly) £1m loan striker missed a much easier chance than Fiorini scored from. The same player had his point blank header well saved by Griffiths and there were other scrambles in front of our goal. I was wondering why only Poole seemed to be winning any headers back there?

Despite that, when we do put it together we have a team so very good to watch. Whilst I'd sooner our players cut out the stupid mistakes I'd far sooner watch a team playing this way. It makes football fun and something to look forward to. Long may it continue.

Worth mentioning that the average age of our starting line-up today was only 22 years and 5 months; contrast that with Burton at 26 years and 6 months. Despite Mr Riverbaink's obvious attempts at reducing the average age of his squad, Burton had only two players (Hamer and Jebbison) younger than our average age.

They still list 37 players on their site; how are they paying their wages on home support of 2300? Perhaps they should swap quantity for some quality at some point.

Interesting point on their forum about Botwick returning and their attempted playing out from the back looking slow and clumsy, which was similar here. Not that he was *that* bad on the ball.

Burton flew out the blocks this season, not suddenly trying to play out from the back. Bostwick was an absolute warrior but him and Bolger playing out from the back when 🍎 took over was the house of horrors.

Well, got home at about a quarter to eleven and not had a chance to read any reports or look at anything on here yet, but a few thoughts on the match from me.

Early on it looked as if it could be another Cambridge-type scoreline but we only had Fiorini's goal to show for it as we didn't make the most of several opportunities when we were on top as we were for most of the first half. Adelakun seemed to have the best chance. Almost the only times they looked dangerous was when we gave the ball to them.

Second half they came at us, but our second goal knocked the stuffing out of them a bit although we then had an endless series of long throws and corners (I lost count of how many) to deal with.

Scully's goal was that of a man in form with the way he fired it home with his 'wrong' foot.

At 2-0 up we were much less dominant than in the first half with only wayward shots from Fiorini and Scully until we finally cracked for them to score. It probably doesn't take me to say we could have avoided a less nervy last few minutes if Scully hadn't hit the post from close in and Longdon hadn't trodden on the ball with only the goalkeeper to beat.

All the back four did well, with Poole the stand-out, plus Josh Griffiths, who didn't have much to do in the first half, but two brilliant saves in the second reminded me of what Brian Clough used to say of Peter Shilton - goalkeepers can win you points as much as goalscorers can.

Last edited:
A cracking team performance. First half we were excellent on the counter and could have made more of our chances. One good save from Josh and a couple of poor attempts from us to play out from the back caused us some alarms. Fiorini, Bishop and Sorensen linked well. Nlundulu missed a good opportunity, but it did not seem to affect him. Infact he grew into the game and showed good strength and hold up abilities. As a big unit, he also helped out to man the barricades when they went very direct. A good replacement for Hopper and quicker and more powerful. He could be a gem if he can find his scoring boots. Poole was a real leader throughout. Hakeeb started well but faded a bit in the second half, as did our midfield dominance and creativity.
Second half, they threw the kitchen sink at us after Scullys goal but generally we coped well and got bodies in the way. Endless corners and long throws to deal with. Poole and Robson although neither the tallest did well. Ditto Eyoma. Monster is playing with assurance and composure again. Griffiths kept us the three points with two big saves in the second half. Poole though was the complete stand out. Not sure how Scully and Remy missed the two late sitters but it was not good for the old ticker.
The whole team played well and deserved the spoils, but Burton did almost break the door down. They were direct, but had some midfield skills and tricky wingers to make life difficult. I agree that they were chlunkier, playing out from the back. I particularly liked our front three. I think there are plenty of goals in them, especially when we play away as a counter attacking team. Add Fiorinis goals to the mix as well . A good day out all round. The imps were very loud and proud with great backing as usual. 5 wins on the spin against the Brewers,( sponsored by doggie days out.)You will understand the last bit if you were there!!

A cracking team performance. First half we were excellent on the counter and could have made more of our chances. One good save from Josh and a couple of poor attempts from us to play out from the back caused us some alarms. Fiorini, Bishop and Sorensen linked well. Nlundulu missed a good opportunity, but it did not seem to affect him. Infact he grew into the game and showed good strength and hold up abilities. As a big unit, he also helped out to man the barricades when they went very direct. A good replacement for Hopper and quicker and more powerful. He could be a gem if he can find his scoring boots. Poole was a real leader throughout. Hakeeb started well but faded a bit in the second half, as did our midfield dominance and creativity.
Second half, they threw the kitchen sink at us after Scullys goal but generally we coped well and got bodies in the way. Endless corners and long throws to deal with. Poole and Robson although neither the tallest did well. Ditto Eyoma. Monster is playing with assurance and composure again. Griffiths kept us the three points with two big saves in the second half. Poole though was the complete stand out. Not sure how Scully and Remy missed the two late sitters but it was not good for the old ticker.
The whole team played well and deserved the spoils, but Burton did almost break the door down. They were direct, but had some midfield skills and tricky wingers to make life difficult. I agree that they were chlunkier, playing out from the back. I particularly liked our front three. I think there are plenty of goals in them, especially when we play away as a counter attacking team. Add Fiorinis goals to the mix as well . A good day out all round. The imps were very loud and proud with great backing as usual. 5 wins on the spin against the Brewers,( sponsored by doggie days out.)You will understand the last bit if you were there!!
Great post. Doggy Day Care wasn’t it? I wonder how many times that sponsor has had the opposition fans singing their name? My lad is still singing it this morning!