Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City

Got home at 10 o'clock (early for me) and this is the first chance I've had to put my thoughts on here (haven't looked at any other comments yet).

I thought Burton looked very ordinary - unless we made them look that way.

Vickers had very little to do - the save from a deflection in the first half was the only time he was seriously called upon - so shows the defence played well.

I thought Akinde's selection was justified - no-one worked harder than him, and while admittedly he lost possession a few times when you would have preferred him not to, he would then work to try and make up for it. Seen the highlights - hadn't realised at the time that he hit the post in the first half.

I thought Hesketh might have been substituted a lot earlier than he was - either by Payne or possibly Walker.

Bringing Melbourne on was an interesting substitution - playing him wide on the left. I read it as wanting him to counteract the threat in the air of their big no. 10 on that side.

I was surprised Akinde was taken off, but obviously it worked out. If he'd still been on would he have been on the spot to score as Walker did? We'll never know.

I must say that I was half-expecting a late goal by the opposition once again, and after Akinde chose to try and beat his man rather than blasting in a shot late on was afraid that once again we might pay for not finishing a team off, also when Grant hit the bar.

As for the Pirelli Stadium - I hadn't realised that grounds with terracing on three sides still existed in the Football League.

For me it is much more important the manager is discussing a win on the pitch.

MA is much less gushing than DC...

but for those who need a pat on the back for turning up to support their team

MA did say it felt like a home game at times today.

If you need more, I am sure you can tune into Radio Huddersfield at full time and hear how brilliant the fans were (you will just have to forget the exact same things you are used to hearing, are now being said about a different set of fans).

Ludicrous response.

MA is MA and is a more measured and considered manager who won't moan about sprinklers or how many games we are playing.

But an acknowledgement towards the 12th man (person) doesn't take much and it helps sustain the relationship between fans and club which has not wavered during a spell (1 league win in 10) which is up there with the the worst runs of the previous 10 years.

Don't want or need fawning sycophancy however acknowledgement that over 1300 fans, just before Xmas (and even more will be at |St Andrews 3 days before Xmas) is appreciated by players and the manager.

Well that was so satisfying on several levels. A win, away from home, two goals, a clean sheet, the rehabilitation of Harry Anderson and reward to the players and staff for two weeks of application on the training ground. The only down side is the injury to Shack.

Ludicrous response.

MA is MA and is a more measured and considered manager who won't moan about sprinklers or how many games we are playing.

But an acknowledgement towards the 12th man (person) doesn't take much and it helps sustain the relationship between fans and club which has not wavered during a spell (1 league win in 10) which is up there with the the worst runs of the previous 10 years.

Don't want or need fawning sycophancy however acknowledgement that over 1300 fans, just before Xmas (and even more will be at |St Andrews 3 days before Xmas) is appreciated by players and the manager.

So the players and management come over and applaud the fans at the end...

MA says the match felt like a home game at times on Radio Lincolnshire...

If you don't want sychophancy, what other acknowledgement do you need?

You are just missing the brilliant Cowley PR machine...

They are excellent at it, we all enjoyed it.. But that's all it was brilliant PR.

If you love that sort of thing, the golden era is probably over...

If you want a good Lincoln side to support, then those days may well continue under MA.

UTI.

Got home at 10 o'clock (early for me) and this is the first chance I've had to put my thoughts on here (haven't looked at any other comments yet).

I thought Burton looked very ordinary - unless we made them look that way.

Vickers had very little to do - the save from a deflection in the first half was the only time he was seriously called upon - so shows the defence played well.

I thought Akinde's selection was justified - no-one worked harder than him, and while admittedly he lost possession a few times when you would have preferred him not to, he would then work to try and make up for it. Seen the highlights - hadn't realised at the time that he hit the post in the first half.

I thought Hesketh might have been substituted a lot earlier than he was - either by Payne or possibly Walker.

Bringing Melbourne on was an interesting substitution - playing him wide on the left. I read it as wanting him to counteract the threat in the air of their big no. 10 on that side.

I was surprised Akinde was taken off, but obviously it worked out. If he'd still been on would he have been on the spot to score as Walker did? We'll never know.

I must say that I was half-expecting a late goal by the opposition once again, and after Akinde chose to try and beat his man rather than blasting in a shot late on was afraid that once again we might pay for not finishing a team off, also when Grant hit the bar.

As for the Pirelli Stadium - I hadn't realised that grounds with terracing on three sides still existed in the Football League.

Pretty sure Morecambe's new one is also 3 sides of terracing with the one main stand of seats. Pretty similar grounds in essence.
(Or does Morecambe have nothing on the side opposite the main stand?? Memory is a bit blank!)

Ludicrous response.

If they win they can all trot off flicking me the v signs for all I care...

I suppose I should add one more thing- which is probably pernickety but is something which MA still has to grasp.

I don't follow home, or away, to get plaudits from players or anyone else about the "fans" - we sing because we can and there's enough of us to make a noise. However it is nice to know we do achieve something.

MA post match interview mentions the players (4 in particular), the play, the game, the work, the focus etc. Just wish he'd mention that he does hear us, it does make a difference etc.

Maybe I'm being over critical and maybe it doesn't matter but I hope MA just references it.

Or is it just me?

‘He didn’t give me a fist pump. Oh the humanity!’

I have been away this weekend, so am a bit out of the loop, what was Shackell’s injury ? and how long he may be out been mentioned yet ?

How satisfying on a Monday morning to know we gained three important points and won a league game away from home.

Had to work this weekend, just caught the nervy last ten minutes on iFollow before Tyler Walker put the result beyond doubt. Great to hear the commentators saying how well Harry Anderson had played. Come on City, more of the same please.

1st chance to comment.
I have to say sat right in the corner does colour your opinions somewhat because of the view!
1st half had a close up view of how well Shackell defended & 2nd half Harry attacking.
Interesting on a couple of occasions late on, when we scored and hit the bar we didn’t head for the corner, which we may well have done before. Sometimes goes for you, sometimes against, I prefer the positive approach but can see why others disagree.
Burton didn’t appear to be a great team.
Probably one of the easiest grounds to get to and from by car I would have to say as well !

Also sat right in the corner. Great view of linesman's boots.

Hard to follow a lot of game from worm's eye viewpoint, but yes Shackell looked immense until his unlucky injury.
Also great seeing Harry Anderson steaming forward time after time.