Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City

Back home and have to say that was a great battling win. Free flowing football was not really on show but plenty of grit and determination and a most welcome 3 points.

Excellent result! Really what we needed. Another win next weekend and I will be feeling much better.

Dont know if it's just me, but I feel walker, unfortunately, will be heading back in Jan. As useful as Akinde is, he doesn't provide the goals that Walker can.

Dont know if it's just me, but I feel walker, unfortunately, will be heading back in Jan. As useful as Akinde is, he doesn't provide the goals that Walker can.

I think that John got the starting nod today more for his defensive ability. It may sound a bit odd to say but Burton do rely on set plays and big John played a huge part in getting them away today. Not sure Tyler would have contributed that well in that department. I'm pretty set he'll be here for the season

"Lincoln looked more like a top 6 side than where they are in 17th"

That's from a Burton forum. The guy who said it may be an eye spinning loon who carries his lunch around in Farm Foods plastic bag (I think he's a reasonable judge), but whichever it is I hope it will comfort the relegation worriers this evening.

Given as 1,330
Plus a few of up the albion suite enjoying the hospitality as well as the 3 points 😉
My Burton supporting mate treated us and there were a few more up there too.
Our first away game since mkd
The early goal from a corner for the first time in ages given us some handy breathing space in a very stop start first half with our only real chance bar the goal was Akinde hitting the post.
They had more of the ball but rarely troubled us as imp after imp but their body on the line.
Second half was a better spectacle with teams having chances but our defence just kept getting bodies in the way and catching them on the break was a great end to a real battling performance.
My Burton supporting mate was very impressed with our defending.
Tidy ground and was very impressed with their hospitality facilities at the back of the main stand, a main banqueting suite where we were, a few boxes and another smaller suite at the other end of the stand.
If we do redevelop certainly something that we should look into doing.

Excellent result away today and you could really see what it meant to the players at the end.

Good to see those early games in hand other team had over us have now gone and we are 17th.

Tranmere next Saturday- good win at the bank and we move into a difficult 2 week Xmas period with confidence.

Today reminded me of Stevenage last season away (except today we scored twice). Burton are a good team who can create chances but we defended well and exploited them in the last 20 minutes as they tired whilst searching for an equaliser.

Good away end atmosphere and a straightforward drive home.

Really pleased for Appleton- he is a good manager in my opinion and today will lift him and the players,

Onto Tranmere

I suppose I should add one more thing- which is probably pernickety but is something which MA still has to grasp.

I don't follow home, or away, to get plaudits from players or anyone else about the "fans" - we sing because we can and there's enough of us to make a noise. However it is nice to know we do achieve something.

MA post match interview mentions the players (4 in particular), the play, the game, the work, the focus etc. Just wish he'd mention that he does hear us, it does make a difference etc.

Maybe I'm being over critical and maybe it doesn't matter but I hope MA just references it.

Or is it just me?

Performance similar to many this season. Difference being we took enough of our chances.

Few random thoughts.

We have conceded 5 goals in last eight games.
(Which is even more remarkable when some regularly comment on Eardley being run ragged - although that view may not be correct).

We are managing to be competitive, without being physically competitive in a number of positions. I can count the number of headers Hesketh, Payne, Grant and Morrell have won this season, without having to take my socks off. The first three don’t win many 50/50 challenges either. Although they all have strengths the team benefit from.

Why didn’t Walker start?
We were very successful last season in away matches with Akinde keeping the opposition defence occupied on his own.
How many times did the Burton centre halves win a free header and pump it back into the Lincoln half?
With Walker up front, the answer would have been regularly.

Walker is a much more accomplished finisher (other than from the spot) than Akinde.

If Appleton can bring in a couple players in January, that mean we win the headers and 50/50 challenges we aren’t at the minute, we won’t have to sacrifice Walker’s finishing, on occasion, for the overall balance of the side.

Danny Cowley used to say how it was possible to virtually eliminate soft tissue injuries. (Conveniently ignoring any we did have).
This season we have had loads of them, with Shackell the latest.
Why is this, when the medical staff and the injured players were pretty much all here last season and this?

I think it’s just an inevitable levelling out of luck, over time. If not, we need to reverse whatever has changed to cause these injuries.

Finally it’s nice to remember what an away win feels like...
...and it will also be nice to actually experience a home league match again... next week... weather permitting!

Obviously Bolton and Bury explain 2.. but why do we have such an imbalance between home and away games? After boxing day it will be 8/13.

I suppose I should add one more thing- which is probably pernickety but is something which MA still has to grasp.

I don't follow home, or away, to get plaudits from players or anyone else about the "fans" - we sing because we can and there's enough of us to make a noise. However it is nice to know we do achieve something.

MA post match interview mentions the players (4 in particular), the play, the game, the work, the focus etc. Just wish he'd mention that he does hear us, it does make a difference etc.

Maybe I'm being over critical and maybe it doesn't matter but I hope MA just references it.

Or is it just me?

For me it is much more important the manager is discussing a win on the pitch.

MA is much less gushing than DC...

but for those who need a pat on the back for turning up to support their team

MA did say it felt like a home game at times today.

If you need more, I am sure you can tune into Radio Huddersfield at full time and hear how brilliant the fans were (you will just have to forget the exact same things you are used to hearing, are now being said about a different set of fans).