Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City | Vital Football

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Should've Gone To Specsavers - Burton Albion v Lincoln City:

Information about today's officials.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/shouldve-gone-to-specsavers-burton-albion-v-lincoln-city/

"We should have had plenty of time in the last couple of weeks to work on perfecting those.":

Three things The Imps need to do to pick up all three points.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...-couple-of-weeks-to-work-on-perfecting-those/

MA: "We're just raring to go.":

Summary of Thursday's press conference with Michael Appleton.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ma-were-just-raring-to-go/

"He pulls together a squad every season on a shoestring and he's got us playing some brilliant stuff." (Who Are Ya?):

"He pulls together a squad every season on a shoestring and he's got us playing some brilliant stuff. His record in the transfer market we operate in is brilliant. We'll sign someone on a free or for a few quid from up in Scotland, then 12-18 months later flog them for a profit."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...-and-hes-got-us-playing-some-brilliant-stuff/

Just looked at the oppo forum and there is a link to a local rag pre-game interview. Interesting to know they reckon we have money to splash about and have a large squad size of 30 players.

Interesting read on how one of their lot see us. Obviously the odd thing he won't know i.e. Hesketh being injured hence his lack of minutes, but a decent post nonetheless.

http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/board/3/brewers-talk

"I've watched their highlights.

There's a good little footballing team in there, fairly good to watch at times but it's clear they lack a bit of swagger with the results they've been having. Losing away at Gillingham. Conceding a last minute equalizer at Wimbledon, drawing with Shrewsbury but having two goals disallowed, losing to 2 absolute stunners away at Peterboro but then in among those games they had a very good 3-0 win against Rotherham in the leasing.com and they played Sunderland off the park at Sincil Bank.

It's not like us where they're carving teams apart and missing chance after chance, but they do create opportunities and it's only a lack of conviction that is stopping them from scoring some very good goals. Their issue? Only 5 goals in 10 league games and players snatching at chances and lacking composure, all except one player. Tyler Walker, if he gets a chance he usually tucks it away.

They'll either play a 4-4-2 with Tyler Walker and John Akinde up front or more likely 4-4-1-1 with Jack Payne playing off Tyler as a number 10. Walker makes some clever runs and uses the ball quite well when he has it. He's their main threat, without a doubt. Payne is a clever little player, always finds space, has a good eye for a through ball and is always buzzing about. Akinde will ply a part, he's a big strong lad who can take some stopping once he gets going.

On the right Andrade is a threat, he's a bit gangly at times and loves a shot from 25 yards but he's dangerous cutting inside and likes a low cross. On the left it will likely be Jorge Grant and we all know he can be a good player on his day.

Michael O'Connor is their equivalent of Quinn, he gets his foot in and he keeps them ticking over, usually with a forward pass. Harry Anderson and Joe Morrell are both combative buggers who can pass the ball.

Defensively I'm sure it will be Shackell and Bolger at centre half, Bolger is massive a real kick it and head it type but he'll give away a lot of fouls tomorrow as he comes through the back to try to win every ball. Shackell should be the dominant partner at this stage of his career, but he's not. It's Bolger who goes to win the ball and Shackell behind him. That\s where I think they struggle. Any ball in between the penalty spot and the six yard box and they can't defend it. The keeper Vickers is a strange one, he doesn't come for balls he should, he parries too many back into dangerous areas and he misjudges the odd looping ball, but then he'll make a brilliant save. I don't trust him.

The midfield is key. They will try to play so if our high press is on its game we'll win a lot of balls back on the edge of their area. Boyce will get lumps kicked out of him but his hold up play will be crucial.

As I said, they're a decent little team but they're shaky and if we can get them on the back foot early on. I fancy us to be good enough to beat them. We can't let them settle on the ball, if they start gaining in confidence it could be a tougher game than their league position would suggest.

Interesting to see they've not had a game for 2 weeks. I'm hoping that makes them rusty rather than fresh.

Even more interestingly. Young Jake Hesketh isn't having the impact I'd have expected him to have, rarely making the starting 11 and not doing much of great note when he has had his chance. I thought he was great for us and would go on to play at a higher level. I hope if he gets off the bench he has a stinker."

Morning #TeamMatchThread! Uncharacteristically anxious about this one, perhaps because this is where the season turns and the Imps kick into gear?

Hoping to see Bozzie back today, we need his take-no-prisoners approach to stiffen a few spines. #beastsandmonsters

Come on you Imps!!!!!!

Will be setting off at about 1 to get there. Less than an hour run for me which is nice. Will be a tough game but one we have a half decent chance of getting a decent result in

Tyler Walker needs one goal to become the 160th player in the club's history to reach double figures in a season. It has been done 250 times so far by 159 different players.

I seem to have been posting that stat for a while. Having finished 19th and last in the November Player Ratings, can Walker find some form today and save me having to post it again?

Just arrived at ground.
It does feel weird. Expecting July type weather. Pre season feel.
Will the Trialist brothers be out in force again today? Trialist E really deserves his chance...