Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

Unbelievable the stuff written on here. Bruce had 2 years, it never clicked, and he could with justification have been sacked in the first 6 months. Me, I think we've improved a lot since DS arrived, and I suspect the dressing room is happier because everybody is being given a chance. We're no further off the playoffs than we were before tonight and who knows might yet make them.

Smith's recruitment? He'a hardly had time to scratch the surface, and at least the defence looks a lot better.

The team tonight looked as though they had a plan; they were set up to contain Brentford, because Smith knows how dangerous Brentford can be. By and large it worked. By the 90th minute I could see signs we might knick it. Unfortunately they did.

Smith needs time, I'd say this season and next. In the meantime don't expect miracles. I thought tonight was exciting even though the pressure was on us. Far less frustrating than under Bruce.

I've enjoyed trips to the dentist more than that game. Can't think of anything positive, passing was awful, shooting was pitiful, defending was criminal, no movement, hands been thrown up in the air and complaining, to think this team scored 14 goals in 3 games earlier this season is remarkable, only way we look like scoring now is from corner or penalty. There doesn't look to be tactics apart from ar$€ about. Albert isn't the same player as last season, he must have gotten the hump that we were willing to sell and he holds a grudge. El Ghazi is a passenger. Hourihane only wants the ball when it's a free kick or corner. I'm annoyed at myself for expecting a result or at least a performance.

And I like DS, but this gig is too much for him right now. And him being a villa fan is actually detrimental imho. It's too close to home for him , like shearer managing Newcastle.

Yes, yes, of course. I'd forgotten: Dean Smith is a Villa legend, having scored a record number of goals in a Villa shirt and having joined us ahead of much bigger and better alternatives in the early days of the Sky takeover of football!

If only Dean had been a knee-jerk appointment to save his boyhood club, in a fairytale ending with only a few games to go! What a story that would have been!

I consider myself well and truly put back into my box. My bad.

Tonight we looked like a SB team; defend, hoof the ball up, can't keep the ball, try to nick a goal, but we mostly are a team of SB players. Brentford played a high and fast-paced tempo, pressed and forced mistakes, moved the ball around well and dominated possession. That was a DS team, a team he built over time. If we give him time he will do the same for us and with more money to spend hopefully bring in better quality players than Brentford's. Tonight highlighted for me what we will get eventually with DS. Most of the players we have now are simply not good enough.

We can't keep expecting to change managers and have this constant upheaval of players as the managers inevitably play different styles. We need a long term strategy and if we do change managers the style of play needs to remain the same to stop the constant player changes. It seems the new owners are sensible and will hopefully plan this way, which the Sporting Director appointment suggests.

This will be another summer of massive change, with all the loans going back and players out of contract, plus DS bringing in his own players suited to his style of football. January is not a good time to make the right deals, so I won't judge him too harshly and he has plugged a few gaps. He needs time and probably more than one summer window, patience is needed, constant changes are not. I trust in DS.

Yes, yes, of course. I'd forgotten: Dean Smith is a Villa legend, having scored a record number of goals in a Villa shirt and having joined us ahead of much bigger and better alternatives in the early days of the Sky takeover of football!

If only Dean had been a knee-jerk appointment to save his boyhood club, in a fairytale ending with only a few games to go! What a story that would have been!

I consider myself well and truly put back into my box. My bad.
JPA will you admit that performance along with the last few was utter tripe??

A Manager is only as good as his players alongside his motivation skills. Villa at the moment have neither considering money spent / we are a shambles to be honest.

And what money have we spent under Smith? £7m for Kalinic? WIdely regarded as an upgrade on Nyland.

Mings, Hause are on loan. Carroll (also loan) not yet fit and Guilbert gone back on loan as part of the deal.

Blaming SB for tonight is juvenile, pathetic and embarrassing. We have a squad crammed with international players, experience and a track record of doing well elsewhere. To be completely played off the park again tonight is not an SB issue .
There are massive problems at this football club.
The downward spiral remains unchecked and is gathering pace again.

Time to take stock now . This season is gone so we have time to properly build for next season. Big Derby games we must not lose , beyond that we can be a bit more experimental now and use the likes of Davis, Green etc rather than loan players who have no future here .
I agree smith needs time. The summer can't come soon enough . We can use this time now to get ahead of the pack for next season

A couple of pages back you say the job is too big for him and we need to give the job to someone with more experience. Now two pages later you want to give him time......which seems slightly ridiculous if the job is indeed 'too big' for him....seems like chaos reigns on the pitch and within the fan base!

JPA will you admit that performance along with the last few was utter tripe??

Erm, I've said it was shit. But, at risk of repeating myself:

a) Dean Smith has been here 5 minutes and has fuck all to choose from
b) he's had a January transfer window, (the worst time) with fuck all money (FFP hanging around like a bad smell)
c)"new manager bounce" (if that is even a thing) is long gone because despite showing up when DS first arrived, the players he's been left with have quickly realised there are (you've guessed!) FUCK ALL alternatives, so their place in the team/squad is safe.

Look, I'm not having a pop at you mate, but for all those one here saying DS is shit and needs to go/was never their choice (of which there are dozens), and those (of which there are dozens) who think/thought we have the best squad in the League (this season and last), it's pretty fucking obvious that we DON'T have that squad.

Not really Dean's fault. In my humble.

No clash to change kit tonight.
So what was that jersey all about ,no blue sleeves and a blue blotch on the front. How does Luke work them out.
Dread to think what the next one will be , how many can you have in a season.
We’re the famous Aston Villa and as the great Graham Taylor
said “If we can’t play like the Villa let’s at least look like them”......and he did and he’d do it again if he was here.
He would say Villa’s tradition is so important
Even more so now I would think

A couple of pages back you say the job is too big for him and we need to give the job to someone with more experience. Now two pages later you want to give him time......which seems slightly ridiculous if the job is indeed 'too big' for him....seems like chaos reigns on the pitch and within the fan base!

It's easy to get confused Langoe - emotions are running high just now.

There was a post a couple of weeks ago kicking off after a Bristol City win taking them 8 points (?) clear, when in fact, they'd just won in the FA Cup, not the Championship.

Luckily, most of the posters on here are not prone to such mass hysteria.

No clash to change kit tonight.
So what was that jersey all about ,no blue sleeves and a blue blotch on the front. How does Luke work them out.
Dread to think what the next one will be , how many can you have in a season.
We’re the famous Aston Villa and as the great Graham Taylor
said “If we can’t play like the Villa let’s at least look like them”......and he did and he’d do it again if he was here.
He would say Villa’s tradition is so important
Even more so now I would think
As always Erod - bang on. This club needs a proper manager and that hasn't happened for a very very long time. Something else bugs me and that is the apparent utter silence from John Terry

Blaming SB for tonight is juvenile, pathetic and embarrassing. We have a squad crammed with international players, experience and a track record of doing well elsewhere. To be completely played off the park again tonight is not an SB issue .
It's not just SB, its been going on for years and years. Hopefully, this new ownership, structure and manager will bring about a long term, consistent, approach that we will eventually reap the rewards from. It's going to take time though.

Tonight we looked like a SB team; defend, hoof the ball up, can't keep the ball, try to nick a goal, but we mostly are a team of SB players. Brentford played a high and fast-paced tempo, pressed and forced mistakes, moved the ball around well and dominated possession. That was a DS team, a team he built over time. If we give him time he will do the same for us and with more money to spend hopefully bring in better quality players than Brentford's. Tonight highlighted for me what we will get eventually with DS. Most of the players we have now are simply not good enough.

I suppose it you were being picky 5 of the starting line-up are 'SB players' - I don't think anyone has any problems with Tammy and SJM being SB players. Not sure that ElGhazi fits the defend & hoof mo either but is largely an empty shirt tbf.

Still maybe in time we'll be as good as Brentford altho oddly are still below us

Couldn't give a fcuk about the track records of players when they played elsewhere. All things come to an end. And in the case of Albert, Elmo, Hutton, Taylor, Elphick, Jedi, Whelan, kodjia, Barney, Lansbury they are finished with us . Either had it and passed it or never had it. Probably a few I have forgotten aswell.
Their track records are not great with us are they. And that's this season under Bruce and Smith . So what's the common denominator?. The managers or players?.

And if you say our players are so crammed with international experience and that good how come you keep saying week after week about playing the youth ?.

Your thinking is as muddled as Bruce's transfer policy in the summer.

Couldn't give a fcuk about the track records of players when they played elsewhere. All things come to an end. And in the case of Albert, Elmo, Hutton, Taylor, Elphick, Jedi, Whelan, kodjia, Barney, Lansbury they are finished with us . Either had it and passed it or never had it. Probably a few I have forgotten aswell.
Their track records are not great with us are they. And that's this season under Bruce and Smith . So what's the common denominator?. The managers or players?.

And if you say our players are so crammed with international experience and that good how come you keep saying week after week about playing the youth ?.

Your thinking is as muddled as Bruce's transfer policy in the summer.
Stop embarrassing yourself