Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

Thomas Holte

Vital Football Legend
When Dean Smith was the manager at Brentford they became something of a bogey team for us so can Dean now reverse that against them!?

Another tough game because we have too many players not up to standard and prepared to put in a 90 minutes shift but maybe the Sheffield United come back will give them the confidence to go out and try to boss a game for a change?

Thoughts and team selection etc here folks...........

Last edited:
I’m worried given the history and circumstances of Smithy going back for the first time, hence my 3-1 prediction to the home side.

Twice I’ve snuck in the home end with a mate due to the shit allocation, twice we’ve been beaten having played poorly, twice I’ve got soaked, and one ended up with us getting sussed out.

Think I’ll stay away this time, the emotions will be high if we play as poorly as we did Friday and also for the Mockneys looking to get revenge.

I have a sneaking feeling the comeback will galvanise us.

Along with Jack being out since the Smethwick match, the Jay-Rod (trans: cheating bastard) handball knocked us for six and we've not been the same since then.

Overcoming the double injustice of Sheff United's second goal was no mean feat.

I fancy us to 'do' Brentford, Sky cameras or not.

I am off to this one. Having the day off as well so I am hoping it will be all worth it .

The problems with our midfield won't be any different though regardless of who is picked.

I have a sneaking feeling the comeback will galvanise us.

Along with Jack being out since the Smethwick match, the Jay-Rod (trans: cheating bastard) handball knocked us for six and we've not been the same since then.

Overcoming the double injustice of Sheff United's second goal was no mean feat.

I fancy us to 'do' Brentford, Sky cameras or not.

Oh sod off with your positive outlook JPA....ffs pull yourself together. Whenever we go to Brentford...we're shite, we lose...fact!

Just looked at the stats from the Forest game, which Brentford lost 2-1. They had 70% possession, over 500 passes and 21 shots!

Typical MON sit back and counter attack. Smash & grab

Yes, I was going to say exactly the same thing. I think that’s what we have to plan for - unfortunately. The key player will be El Gahzi going forward if we opt for that tactic, he’ll need to be both goal side and countering with the ball.

It’ll be interesting to see what DS does tactically, if there’s one game he doesn’t need to watch a load of VT’s it’s this one!

------- Kalinic -----------
Hutton. Elphick Mings Taylor
-------- Whelan ------------
McGinn Hourihane bjaneson
----- Green --- Abraham ------

Based on how we are performing at the moment.
Based on the terrible midfield (except SJM) that we will have to put out..
Based on our terrible record at Brentford.
Based on the fact they will want to put one over Smith.
Based on the fact it's on live tv.

I am thinking it's going to be a loss.

Soz.

isn't it weird that before January transfer window it was the defence that was the main problem for us becoming a team that could challenge.
Now that has been sorted and I'm sure in time will come good it's now our midfield that is no longer working.
2:1 win for us at Brentford I believe.

My only glimmer of hope for this is that the spectacular comeback on Friday night has given us a massive confidence boost. If not I fear we could be on the end of a thumping in this one.

I will put my hand up I am not an Andre Green fan, but he showed a determination which clearly Kodja does not have for our club. And on Friday night after he scored you could see how much he loves his club. And that is what this team is lacking. Mings-Mginn & Tammy are the only players that give their all. I hope he can grab us a 0-1 win at Brentford and show the likes of Hourihane what real desire and hard work achieves ………...

Look lads, get a grip!!! It's only Brentford. How can you expect our players to be positive when so many fans are negative?

Facts: We are the 3rd highest scoring team in the division, Brentford only 6th. We last lost 5 matches ago, Brentford lost their last match. We have 6 more points than they do. We have Tammy Abraham they don't.

Cert win for us. Trust me on this one :utv:

P.S. read that Tammy has scored 16 goals in the last 17 matches. Pretty good.

isn't it weird that before January transfer window it was the defence that was the main problem for us becoming a team that could challenge.
Now that has been sorted and I'm sure in time will come good it's now our midfield that is no longer working.
2:1 win for us at Brentford I believe.
I must have missed the defence getting sorted.

Apparently Abrahams likes to play wide;

Kalinic
Hutton Mings Elphick Taylor
Bjarnason
El Ghazi McGinn Hourihane Abrahams
Davis

Brentford punch way above their weight and play some decent stuff as well with bargain buys.

Perhaps we should try and copy their model.