Match Thread: Bradford Park Avenue V Lincoln City | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bradford Park Avenue V Lincoln City

NottyImp - 21/12/2015 22:13

JT_LCFC - 21/12/2015 22:03

Robinson just isn't up to it full stop.

I think that was his 68th game for City. I doubt he will be here next season.

The Youth set-up has surely to come under some scrutiny now. I can't recall the last time a player graduated from it to become a regular, solid first team player. If we can't sell 'em and we can't use 'em, then we need to scrap it asap.

At least then we could consolidate the (admittedly low) wages of the likes of Robinson, Everington and Simmons into one wage for a decent Conference player.

He's played more as Soccerbase doesn't carry qualifying rounds of the FA Cup or FA Trophy matches.

I'll take a look at minutes played tomorrow and see how many he, Simmons & Everington have actually managed in their Lincoln careers.

Didn't listen to the game as its during the night here, but a couple of thoughts, which may or may not be on the mark. CM stated he was taking the Trophy seriously and comments have been made about how important the Trophy prize money is to swell the coffers.
CMs comment went straight out of the window as soon as I saw the team selection. IMO the investment injection has changed the whole approach of the management. Clearly the Trophy prize money is a lot less of a priority & they now take the view that they can rest players (much needed probably) & put all their priority into the league. The investment also allows the January transfer window to be used to strengthen the squad for a serious tilt at promotion.
IMO the change in priority & approach, if there is one, is bang on & hopefully will show the players they need to perform or they face being dropped or shipped out.

PerthImp - 22/12/2015 00:13

Didn't listen to the game as its during the night here, but a couple of thoughts, which may or may not be on the mark. CM stated he was taking the Trophy seriously and comments have been made about how important the Trophy prize money is to swell the coffers.
CMs comment went straight out of the window as soon as I saw the team selection. IMO the investment injection has changed the whole approach of the management. Clearly the Trophy prize money is a lot less of a priority & they now take the view that they can rest players (much needed probably) & put all their priority into the league. The investment also allows the January transfer window to be used to strengthen the squad for a serious tilt at promotion.
IMO the change in priority & approach, if there is one, is bang on & hopefully will show the players they need to perform or they face being dropped or shipped out.

I have no problem with the team he picked as we have a busy period ahead. The people who came in should have taken their chance and showed what they can do. Even Bush who has played a number of games was left flat on his backside so many times. The Grimsby boss complained about his back up players when they played Solihull, be interesting to see his team tonight.

Last night illustrated the lack of depth in the squad. Very poor from start to finish. Power had a shocker and Blissett was just ineffective. Agree with the consensus on Robinson I'm afraid - he just isn't developing. Bush had a mare but I think he has a bit about him - did well down the left side linking with Hawkridge on Saturday in the first half.

The problem is outside the starting 11 it looks very bare, with for me a starting 11 that also needs improving if we want a top 5 finish.

If Hearn isn't coming back then we need to move him on, Nolan, Diagne and Brown as these are four senior players who aren't in our squad for various reasons and initially formed part of CM 18-20 man squad.

If this had been played on its original date I suspect we would have seen a different team selection. As it is, two days after a physical game against Barrow and with Grimsby and a Halifax double header coming up in the next 10 days I fully understand CM's decision to rest key players, notably Rhead and Stanley. What is disappointing is how the team put out doesn't sound as if it even tried to take its chance.

I'd rather have lost last night through fielding a weakened side than get through with a full strength one and pick up a couple of injuries/suspensions. Too many games in a short space of time coming up to risk it and we haven't got the depth to be without 2 or 3 players.

I suspect we'd not have made as many, if any, changes had it been played when it was supposed to.

JT_LCFC - 22/12/2015 08:31

The problem is outside the starting 11 it looks very bare, with for me a starting 11 that also needs improving if we want a top 5 finish.

If Hearn isn't coming back then we need to move him on, Nolan, Diagne and Brown as these are four senior players who aren't in our squad for various reasons and initially formed part of CM 18-20 man squad.

That's a very good point. Effectively 25% of the squad unavailable to us, for various reasons. Nothing much CM could have done about Hearn it seems, but didn't he re-sign Nolan and Brown? Diagne, I think was unfortunately given 2 years by Simpson.

With a small squad, virtually every player has to be in contention for there to be any squad depth. As we said much earlier in the season, it's a thin squad that has got thinner.

PerthImp - 22/12/2015 00:13

I think Perth Imp has a point. When Moyses is moving certain players on in the new year he can point to last night as a reason to do so. He certainly reacted well to St Juste running rings around the defence and brought Tempest on in the second half to mark him out of the game.
Mid January will be a crucial time for the club with what is now a totally free weekend caused by last night's defeat.

I think there needs to be some departures in January to make room for the necessary quality new signings. I don't believe our squad is that small just that there are a several not in realistic contention for the first team. Names that come to mention are Robinson,Everington,Hodges,Wright and Nat Brown. (I'll give Simmons the benefit of any doubt for the moment).In addition I wouldn't keep either Reid and Blisset . In the cases of Nolan and Diagne ,I understand they are both out on season long loans so I would just let those arrangements run their course.

I didn't keep totally up-to-date with the game last night but I've picked up on Bush being terrible again.

Sounds like he's been better at CB this season. I wonder whether we'll be in the market for a new LB or RB, use Bush as a back-up CB, get rid of Brown and perhaps release Wood into CM for a bit to address the lack of mobility.

Pace, or lack of, is a big issue, though. Both in and out of possession.

57harry - 22/12/2015 11:47

I think there needs to be some departures in January to make room for the necessary quality new signings. I don't believe our squad is that small just that there are a several not in realistic contention for the first team. Names that come to mention are Robinson,Everington,Hodges,Wright and Nat Brown. (I'll give Simmons the benefit of any doubt for the moment).In addition I wouldn't keep either Reid and Blisset . In the cases of Nolan and Diagne ,I understand they are both out on season long loans so I would just let those arrangements run their course.
Nolan's due back January 4th, unless something has been agreed and not announced.

SIMJON - 21/12/2015 22:23

Davidimp - 21/12/2015 22:17

implausible - 21/12/2015 22:09

Skip155 - 21/12/2015 21:43

German Imp - 21/12/2015 21:35

Youth Policy !!

I'm a critic of that too but we played our first choice available back 4, first choice GK and captain marvel in midfield and didn't keep a clean sheet long enough to let the young lads play. That foundation has to 'be the men' to give the kids a bit of freedom. That said I don't think the youths are good enough.

The youths who have made the first team may be suspect but the current youth team are joint top of the league. if you don't give players a chance you miss another Sam Clucas.
Aren't the youth team currently top of their league?
Maybe they'll come good unlike the current crop.

There's a big difference between playing against other youths and playing against men though.

Absolutely correct, how many 17 and 18 year olds do you see playing in this league?
I think we would be much better served with having a reserve team than a youth team, it would allow you to attract players who cant afford to give up full time jobs to play for us and you could also play some of the better youngsters in the team allowing them to make the jump into the first team if good enough more smoothly.

clanfordimp - 22/12/2015 12:02

Youth Policy !!

I'm a critic of that too but we played our first choice available back 4, first choice GK and captain marvel in midfield and didn't keep a clean sheet long enough to let the young lads play. That foundation has to 'be the men' to give the kids a bit of freedom. That said I don't think the youths are good enough.

The youths who have made the first team may be suspect but the current youth team are joint top of the league. if you don't give players a chance you miss another Sam Clucas.

There's a big difference between playing against other youths and playing against men though.

Absolutely correct, how many 17 and 18 year olds do you see playing in this league?
I think we would be much better served with having a reserve team than a youth team, it would allow you to attract players who cant afford to give up full time jobs to play for us and you could also play some of the better youngsters in the team allowing them to make the jump into the first team if good enough more smoothly.
We cannot afford to run a Reserve team unfortunately.

My worry is what is going to happen in our league during the January transfer window.
There are money clubs in our league that will be sure to spend some cash and strengthen.
We might have some money to spend on the back of the new investor, but signing new players, permanents or on loan can be a bit of a lottery and changes the whole dynamics one way or the other. Just hope we get some players in that change the dynamics positively.

The starting eleven is decent and with some good back up we could still make the play offs. The danger is that people now know we've got some investment and could hold us to ransom. How many players of the required standard will there be available for free who would drop to us? Not many is my guess. So Moyses is going to have to spend his money very wisely.

Steve O'Dare - 22/12/2015 12:04

Youth Policy !!

Why not, surely it wouldn't cost that much. Most of the players would be at the club full time anyway and you would top them up with trialists and non contract players and play in a midweek evening league, if they still exist. If not play friendlies against clubs from around the midlands.

Steve O'Dare - 22/12/2015 12:04

Youth Policy !!

Glib response; does a youth team cost more or less than a reserve team. Without knowing the economics of both no conclusion can be wrought. The returns from the youth team have been nothing.

I like the idea of a reserve team instead of a youth system. As has been said most of the players,assuming a squad of 20-22 would be here anyway. The extra costs of trialists,good quality youths would not,IMO,be prohibitive. The idea of using a small number of good quality part-time players needs to be looked at more closely although I strongly believe we should stay mainly full time.