Match Thread: Boston United v Lincoln City | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Boston United v Lincoln City

Trialist B (centre back) looks poor. Trialist A (right back) slightly better. Bramall looks as poor defensively as last season.

Pitch is awful for any flowing football as the grass is too long, but Boston are streets ahead of us.

Like others, I think preseason should be about trying to work towards a settled team. Not throwing players in who will not even make the final squad just to give them minutes. All you do with selections like today is the destroy confidence of the eventual first choice players. Three games so far, and three defeats.
Agree I'll get the forager in for silage after t'game.

Unexpected this, thought it might be closer. no good saying it's just s friendly, it doesn't matter. It does, shows back line not able to work together, the need for a keeper, and basically an all round clueless performance thus far.

All about getting minutes at this stage still. That said, the trials defenders haven't gone themselves any good.

Unexpected this, thought it might be closer. no good saying it's just s friendly, it doesn't matter. It does, shows back line not able to work together, the need for a keeper, and basically an all round clueless performance thus far.

[IMG]https://forums-cdn.vitalfootball.co.uk/data/avatars/m/10/10350.jpg?1522919975[/IMG]
Gratzimp
Vital Squad Member
Aug 29, 2020

Who was it who said Grant had a good game?? Imps_joe was it? Sorry mate but i lost count of the missplaced passes, and amount of times he lost position. He was pretty garbage. Whenever a move broke down it was generally him at the centre of it. Scully on the other hand worked his balls off and challenged for everything. Montsma, was probably the best at the back, but worryingly the amount of time and space given to Oldham for their 2nd goal was criminal, no challenges of pressing, just a case of, let em have it.

Trialist B (centre back) looks poor. Trialist A (right back) slightly better. Bramall looks as poor defensively as last season.

Pitch is awful for any flowing football as the grass is too long, but Boston are streets ahead of us.

Like others, I think preseason should be about trying to work towards a settled team. Not throwing players in who will not even make the final squad just to give them minutes. All you do with selections like today is the destroy confidence of the eventual first choice players. Three games so far, and three defeats.

mikeosullivan

Vital Reserves Team
Aug 29, 2020

I've watched all 3 streamed games, and I'm concerned at the style we are obviously going to play.

At this level, players aren't technically proficient enough to string 8-10 passes together without one going astray. So we have to threaten the opposition goal within those 8-10 passes.

To date, we aren't doing that. Our 5 goals have all come from long through balls, and scrambles from corners/free kicks. Nothing has come from pass-pass-pass-pass.

Still early days though, but I would like to see us mix it up a bit. Today we were predictable and boring.

Yes, its a pre-season game. But 300 Imps fans have paid good money to travel to see a game that we are traeting as a closed-door practice match. I just don't think that is fair.

Just to reiterate, the trialists are there to make up the numbers, they are not playing for contracts.

The first few friendlies are all about minutes, not tactics or formations. I am sure we will see something close to a first eleven at Norwich on Tuesday, no trialists, no academy players.

[IMG]https://forums-cdn.vitalfootball.co.uk/data/avatars/m/10/10350.jpg?1522919975[/IMG]
Gratzimp
Vital Squad Member

Aug 29, 2020

Who was it who said Grant had a good game?? Imps_joe was it? Sorry mate but i lost count of the missplaced passes, and amount of times he lost position. He was pretty garbage. Whenever a move broke down it was generally him at the centre of it. Scully on the other hand worked his balls off and challenged for everything. Montsma, was probably the best at the back, but worryingly the amount of time and space given to Oldham for their 2nd goal was criminal, no challenges of pressing, just a case of, let em have it.

All about opinions, Grant turned it around, due to good coaching, and his drive to improve himself. I am not saying that things wont improve, I am just commenting on one game. We have though in all the pre-season games so far, looked very venerable at the back. Getting game time and seeing who works well with who is key to a good season, but based on that 1st half it isn't looking great is it?

All about opinions, Grant turned it around, due to good coaching, and his drive to improve himself. I am not saying that things wont improve, I am just commenting on one game. We have though in all the pre-season games so far, looked very venerable at the back. Getting game time and seeing who works well with who is key to a good season, but based on that 1st half it isn't looking great is it?

I don't think pre-season is an indication of anything...

Too many unanswered questions for my liking. Where to start ?
Even a friendly trouncing by Boston hurts imps fans, especially where imps fans are paying for the privilege.
Does getting minutes into Mcgrandles Hopper Jackson Bridcutt, Maguire and Bramhall overtake the potential confidence shaker of defeat again?
I have not included Longdon in that list as I don't regard him as a first team regular.
What is happening with Archibald,is he wanted or not. ?
Cant be doing Sam Longs confidence any good can it.?
No word about Scully. Walsh or Poole.
What is the purpose of triallists just making the numbers up.?
Any answers on a postcard please. I know we are a well run club, but this approach is just scattergun at best. Puzzled of Somerset.

Yes, its a pre-season game. But 300 Imps fans have paid good money to travel to see a game that we are traeting as a closed-door practice match. I just don't think that is fair.

It's a practice match. Anyone who paid good money to watch it is a bit daft. They're owed nothing.

I've never understood the attraction of friendlies, certainly not against lower-rated opposition.

Pre season and results wise or not, we are only 3 weeks away from the start against Gillingham, as things stand It’s going to be a big ask being ready when it really matters.