Match Thread: Boston United v Lincoln City | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Boston United v Lincoln City

They haven't been allocated yet - that can only be done once the squad is as finalised as it can be. And we also have a number of academy players involved who do not have a number allocated to them at all. They could conceivably use 1-11, but it doesn't really matter.

Not commenting on official squad numbers, just the shirt numbers for this game.
And they do have numbers on the shirts

Don't like to be negative but starting to wonder about the purpose of this pre season. Apart from limited time for Maguire we are not getting any fresh impetus on the pitch. You could say it is a good thing to get the kids playing alongside the senior pros but we seem along way off being league one ready. Puzzling about the missing players as well. I get that the results are immaterial, but it is hard to find many positives.

Seems a bit pointless playing with make weight triallists when we should be trialling potential players

Don't like to be negative but starting to wonder about the purpose of this pre season. Apart from limited time for Maguire we are not getting any fresh impetus on the pitch. You could say it is a good thing to get the kids playing alongside the senior pros but we seem along way off being league one ready. Puzzling about the missing players as well. I get that the results are immaterial, but it is hard to find many positives.
Was thinking the same, but do recall not that dissimilar last year?

Appleton talked last season about simply getting minutes in the legs. I think Scotimp postage a couple of times giving names and minutes played and it was remarkably even for most of the squad that started. If this follows the same format it isn't about patterns of play, formation or team building, but rather a part of the pre-season conditioning.

Seems a bit pointless playing with make weight triallists when we should be trialling potential players

I see this as a good thing - we have done so much research on our targets that we don't feel we need to have them on trial, we just need to persuade them to sign up.

Trialist B (centre back) looks poor. Trialist A (right back) slightly better. Bramall looks as poor defensively as last season.

Pitch is awful for any flowing football as the grass is too long, but Boston are streets ahead of us.

Like others, I think preseason should be about trying to work towards a settled team. Not throwing players in who will not even make the final squad just to give them minutes. All you do with selections like today is the destroy confidence of the eventual first choice players. Three games so far, and three defeats.