Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City

How has he influenced the game if you are saying the pen was a pen. Ultimately he made the right choice. Just because he pointed for a gk first is pretty irrelevant. His probable only error was not giving them an another pen... how has he single handedly decided the game?

Because he didn’t give the nailed pen or the 50/50 pen to Lincoln.

And as he initially said no pen before changing his mind without any other opinion which is at best weird.

That's not being negative. It's just a fact. We are unable to beat crap teams. Playing Doncaster Gillingham Accrington Cambridge etc is where we should be getting points and we are not. That was the case last season and looks like it's going to be in this one as well.
If we can get something from clubs like Wednesday, Ipswich or Derby then it's simply a great and enjoyable bonus cause it won't be happening to often.
But you know what as long as we have enough points to stay up in the end I don't care that much...
Last seasons results have nowt to to do MK
Considering our budget new management and injury list I’m not sure where people think exactly where we should be

Considering our budget new management and injury list I’m not sure where people think exactly where we should be

Well, apparently, winning all of the matches against the teams we expect to be around us, and losing against those that we expect to be above us because that is obviously how it works for a club like ours that have a lower-half budget...

There is a possibility that some, or all of that, should be in whatever the colour is, but I can't be arsed!

Also back home after attending first match this season MK.

Positives are few, but Diamond was our best player (by a country mile); our pace and pressing put Bolton under pressure early in the match; Mandriou looked good in his few minutes - as indeed did Sanders, not all right foot.

Negatives are more, unfortunately. That early pressing faded to nothing and we spent most of the match stuck in our half; we were so wasteful with possession; generally out muscled by a side who were crisper in possession but otherwise not much better than us and fortunately wasteful in front of goal.

Our set pieces were poor apart from one Poole chance from a corner. Throw ins have become a real issue. MA had a simple method of a receiver coming short, playing back to the thrower, worked more often than not. MK seems to want a longer, upfield throw and no players were coming shorter to offer options and I expect possession retained from throws is much lower. Roughan's error a result of Jackson seemingly the only available option. Needs sorting.

And please ditch the short corners, once again it led to a break up the opposite end. Liked leaving 1 or 2 on half way when defending corners though. Bolton however provided the worst set piece with that first half free kick, comedy gold.

Absolutely. Considering its a new team, new manager, new backroom staff, and a far from easy fixture list, we are doing OK. Especially considering the constant injuries, which must be a concern to the board after replacing just about the entire medical and fitness staff.

I don't think MK knows his best team yet, even if everyone is fit, or the best way for us to play. But I think that will come.

I wasn't impressed today with 3-4-3. Personally I'm not sure we have the pace at full back in TJ and Sean to play three at the back. Plus the 2 in midfield were just bypassed today. But MK is still learning about the squad and their capabilities - all the while keeping us mid table. That will do for me.

It's not the point is it ?
What I'm trying to say is that beating clubs around us is the best way to secure league status without drama. We are for some reason not winning these games though and that's problematic.

Never feels good to lose but on the whole more positives than negatives to be taken from today.

What I'm trying to say is that beating clubs around us is the best way to secure league status without drama. We are for some reason not winning these games though and that's problematic.
I guess the fact you gave 50% of your examples as teams not in our division less people to refer to last season

Only heard 50% on radio but thinking and reading back i barely heard or read TJ. Can’t work out if that is a good or bad thing

Yeah, I know Just tried to say it's an ongoing problem of ours being crap against crap teams. We were last season and so far this as well.

Our ongoing problem is that there are very few "crap" teams in our league.

Nonetheless our first 10 games... made up of

6 away , 6 against top half teams...

represent a very acceptable return.

Broken down we seem to be doing better against the teams lower in the league ( no losses ) than the higher placed teams!

Top 6 - (played 2 away) - W0 D1 L1
Next 6 - (played 2 home 2 away) W1 D 1 L2
Next 6 - (played 1 home 1 away) W 1 D 1 L0
Bottom 6 - (played 1 home 1 away) W 1 D 1 L0

Looking forward to next week...

I’m struggling to think Bolton away is a game we should be winning?
They’re in a different league to us with cash and resources
They had 17k today and probably average 20k this season

Not saying we should have won, but using this rationale how come we beat Derby?
Bolton are on the back of 2 very good seasons
Only Sheff Wednesday have won more points this calendar year
The difference in trajectory was noticeable
Derby on the other hand looked out of sorts and clearly the manager at the time wasn’t a good fit
I’ll guess they’ll be a different prospect under Warne