Match Thread Blackpool v Luton Town | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread Blackpool v Luton Town

That was abysmal, and to cap it we havent scored in 3 games now.

We are getting destroyed by the big physical teams in this division of which there are many you lose 50% of your game when you can't compete in the air. Most of our team are under 6 ft so when you are facing opposition 6'3 - 6'5 you get dominated. We seriously need to add some height to our squad ekpiteta and Madine isn't enough, otherwise we will remain disadvantaged.

Bowler, why?

Maxwell, why ? It appears he hates high ball crosses. It was a goal keepers game and Grimshaw has done fk all wrong up to now.:shake: Their Goalie did his job.

Last edited:
That was one of the worst Pool games I have watched this season. They have gone back to the negative possession football that they played continually during the first half of last season. Habitually passing backwards or across the pitch when there are just as easier passes to be made going forwards on the deck. Pool had 64% of the game. Bowler for me, needs moving on, as he again shows he never backtracks and just looks for other players to do it for him which draws them out of their own position. We all know that when you play big teams you play it on the floor and attack their defence through the middle not lumping low quality balls into the air from the wings. Again, Yates played a lone role upfront with very little service. We should have learnt from our home game against the big lads of Cardiff earlier in the season. Luton had done their homework well. If we continue to play in this mode we will be sliding down the table faster than a run away lift.

Last edited:
Maxwell, why ? It appears he hates high ball crosses. It was a goal keepers game and Grimshaw has done fk all wrong up to now.:shake: Their Goalie did his job.

I totally agree with you Noddy. I must admit I was critical of Grimshaw's first game but I now consider him to be a superior keeper to Maxwell.

I totally agree with you Noddy. I must admit I was critical of Grimshaw's first game but I now consider him to be a superior keeper to Maxwell.
Agree I liked our third keeper over six foot and very agile Maxwell has lost his confidence and perhaps not Championship quality.

Agree I liked our third keeper over six foot and very agile Maxwell has lost his confidence and perhaps not Championship quality.

For a goalie, he is undersized Prem by todays standards, which puts him at a huge disadvantage when the opposition bring their tall timbers up into the box for corners or free kicks. The old adage still applies,--anything in the 6 yard box is the keepers.

My preference is for a tall keeper but, having said that, Shay Given in his prime would do for me. The Knobber has won games for us and cost us games too. As a bloke he seems decent enough but he should have been on the bench whilst Gromshaw was doing s decent job.

For a goalie, he is undersized Prem, by todays standards, which puts him at a huge disadvantage when the opposition bring their tall timbers up into the box for corners or free kicks. The old adage still applies,--anything in the 6 yard box is the keepers.
Still above your brother in laws team but they are catching up only two points behind.

NC after the game:

Critchley on conceding soft goals

“It’s a collective thing isn’t it. You look at the first goal, it's a corner and the conditions were horrible for both teams and it’s swirling around and we’ve not dealt with the big man at the back post.

“Yeah we could’ve stopped that, it was a soft goal to give away, the goals were poor, the first and second were poor.

“But with their height it only takes one moment, our defending from set pieces recently has been very good, against Birmingham and West Brom excellent.

“And that one moment we didn’t deal with that the big fella (Bradley) is at the back post and he nods it in.

“And the second half, the second goal was the real one for me because we had enough time, the ball seemed to be down in that corner from a long throw, it got cleared back out, we’ve had enough time to deal with that situation before the cross comes into the box and we didn’t."

Critchley on creating chances

“The game’s decided in both penalty areas and we’ve not done enough in both penalty areas today.

“We created some really good opportunities in the first half and played some really good football, their keeper’s pulled off some really good saves.

“We’ve hit the post which was a little bit of misfortune because it ricochets off the players heel and rolls and hits the post, if that goes in and you’re 1-0 up, maybe it’s a different game.

“The disappointment was the goals we’ve conceded and for some really good approach play and getting into the final third in good areas, we failed so we need to do better at both ends of the pitch.

“First half I thought we were the better team, played some good stuff, played with energy and on the front foot, built the play from the back well and got into the final third often and created good chances.

“We’re 2-0 down and we need to go and try and find a goal to get back into the game and at 2-0 you could say it was the perfect away performance from Luton but we had them pinned right back in their own half, they’ve defended in numbers and it’s hard to break down teams who defend in numbers and they defended the penalty area very, very well with lots of bodies, but at 2-0 I felt we could get something out of the game.

“So we had to try and find a solution to get back into the game and find a goal and sometimes that can be change in personnel or a change in system..

“At 2-0 I felt like we had the momentum, we had some blocked shots and corners and we were getting into the right areas often.

“But our final cross, final delivery, final ball or the pass before the final ball failed and we can only keep working on that but I honestly felt if we can get a goal here, with the momentum and the way that they were playing, they wouldn’t have changed if we scored to make it 2-1 and the game changes.

"We didn’t do that and they go and get the third goal and it looks like a real beating and a really poor performance - it wasn’t we’re nearly there, we need to remember that, you’re going to have some tough games against teams in this division and we had one today.”

Critchley on Chris Maxwell inclusion

“It was a tough decision because Grimmy’s been excellent, he’s played very well in the games and he’s managed to get experience that he’s not had and I spoke to him yesterday and he’s made that decision very difficult, but you know Maxi’s been the captain and the number one, he was fantastic last season and he’s been fantastic this season until his injury.

“What makes it apparent now is that we’ve got two genuine number ones”

Critchley on Madine absence

“He (Madine) just felt his groin in training on Tuesday, it’s settled down and he feels a lot better to what he did on Tuesday but he wasn’t right for today’s game, but hopefully in the next few days he feels better and hopefully it’s not a long-term issue for him."

Critchley on run without a win

“Every team in this division goes through a tough period where they don’t win games or they draw games they should win or they lose games they should draw and that’s probably happening a little bit to us.

“You look at the Birmingham game last week, we had full control of that game and we should’ve got something from the game and we didn’t.

“Today again at 3-0 do we deserve to lose that game? Well yeah because they’ve scored three and we haven’t scored any and that sums up the game but in general play we played very, very well in periods.

"On Monday if I went through some of the best clips in that game with the players and showed them some of the football we played and some of the moments we created, we’d go ‘well we’re doing alright’ but we’ve got to get the ball in the back of the net and keep it out at the other end, simple as that."

Back from injury being Captain etc he should have been on the bench he had not played in a competitive game since his injury…. We also missing Keogh his experience is invaluable.

Back from injury being Captain etc he should have been on the bench he had not played in a competitive game since his injury…. We also missing Keogh his experience is invaluable.

Favouritism with Maxwell ? Yes, Keogh is definitely missed without doubt.

The first gosl was a sequence of events.
Needless foul given away by Yates, easy to catch shot punched away for a corner by Maxwell.
Resulting corner = simple header backstick 0-1.

There were a couple of poor performances, Mitchell and despite being my MOTM for the last 2 games James looked way off it on Sat and Sterling was simy bypassed at times.

Jerry upfront on his own was not a good sign for me.
Madine out injured we have no presence at all up there.
Luton no 11 looked a beast when tbe teams lined up. He scored their second and looked a mobile unit - something we had hoped Nuttall was going to be.

Keshi playing that role just behind Yates cut a furlone figure on Sat.

We are missing Keogh without a doubt and also Stewart.
Trouble is Stewart is only just ahead of Virtue in the I'm available to play stakes...

Hopefully this is our bad run for this season.
Says a lot when we are worried about things when we are sat just 6pts off the playoffs. The disappointing, thing is that especially after the last 2 games
both games were winnable.
We go again.