Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City

very similar to mk and rochdale.
gave a team an early start. they were then happy to sit back and hang onto it.
a little bit sharper with the all round game and we would have got something from that. doesn't feel like massive stuff that appleton needs to improve on.

fitness seems to be one of our big strengths. just need to start better.
#uti.

very similar to mk and rochdale.
gave a team an early start. they were then happy to sit back and hang onto it.
a little bit sharper with the all round game and we would have got something from that. doesn't feel like massive stuff that appleton needs to improve on.

fitness seems to be one of our big strengths. just need to start better.
#uti.
Agreed: sounded like Blackpool were on gas and air last 15 minutes, but we'd allowed them to have something to defend, get into those last 15 minutes at least level and its a whole different proposition.

Let's be honest, the problem is the defence. Horribly neglected by the Cowleys over the summer. You should always build from the back.

It's very surprising there wasn't at least one signing there (and by that I mean a proper first teamer). I know you don't mean 'build' from the back in quite that way, but potentially someone who could use the ball a bit better too... especially with the new goal kick rules, constantly splitting the CBs and signing loads of midgets

Every time the ball went into the blackpool box they looked nervous and vulnerable. They will not keep too many clean sheets. Think we missed a trick not bringing Akinde on for the last half hour. Just to instill a bit more panic in their defence.

Need to give ourselves the starting chance and looking at the goals we’ve lost out on a simple pass again
Small steps would imagine midweek we’ll see changes front to back
They don’t come much bigger league games than next Saturday
MA has got a good week now with his new man at his side
Uti

Back from a very long day settling the lad in London to see a loss tonight. Reading this thread though shows that there is a light at the end of this tunnel with what looks like a decent performance.
September has not been a great month for us and the schedule in October is not easy but looks like a far better performance tonight so glass still half full

We are probably OK playing out from the back until it reaches Shackell, his ball control is atrocious & his passing isn't very good either, he lacks speed tracking back, but his heading ability though is pretty decent.
So 25% of him is doing OK
What he's lacking is Notty's extra 31%

Way too many attacks started with Bolger in my view. With Connolly not showing for the ball, and when he did show not doing anything creative, we really had nothing in midfield other than the odd forage forward by Morrell.

O'Connor in for Connolly for me, and Bossie back in place of Bolder or Shackell.

The effort was there (or rather, was back after Saturday), but we just have no midfield penetration.

Over the entire game we probably deserved a point, but you can't play like we did in the first 20, make basic mistakes through out the game and expect to win. Blackpool were pretty average. They played some good football at times, we're very physical, better finishers and masters of gamesmenship. For a lot of the game we did the defending work for Blackpool by just giving the ball back to them.

We're far too easy to get at and that's a lot to do with our ineffective midfield partnership. I was amazed to see the same starting line up and formation, particularly with Connolly starting. Though he was better than on Saturday, he's still fast enough or good enough or on the ball to play in midfield. I'd like to see us playing him at centre back. Morrell was again a shell of the player he was at the start of the season and Anderson looks low on confidence.

After the first 20 mins we really grew in to the game, but just weren't quite good enough in front of goal and struggled to get up the pitch quick enough. Bolger must have been the lmayer with most touches the entire game, but every time he had it the lack of movement in front of him was obvious. Really happy Payne deservedly opened his Lincoln City account and hopefully he'll kick on. Eardley was my man of the match closely followed by Bruno.

Not the best performance, but at least we saw some progress. This is going to be a long season but we need to give Appleton time.

Early goals against = always up against it. How many games is that now? MK, Doncaster, Wycombe, Rochdale, Oxford, Blackpool.