Match Thread Blackpool v Lincoln City | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread Blackpool v Lincoln City

Not often I shed a tear but I did have emotional watery eyes at the final whistle. The wife just just can't understand it. The cat nearly shat it's self twice as my son and I jumped out of our chairs and cheered loudly when Dougall scored his brilliant goals. His call up to the Aussie team is so well deserved as is Ballard's to the N.I. team. I think Lincoln only had one shot on target during the whole of the game. Not often you will see a club owner down on the pitch enjoying victory celebrations with the team. Well done SS. Ian Holloway was at the game too and was captured for a few short moments by tv cameras and mentioned in the commentary. A huge pat on the back for all concerned at Blackpool F.C. and to the 4000 Seasiders at the game for their deafening vocal support.

Onwards and Upwards. :clown:

Last edited:
Liverpool exit justified as coach wins promotion

Neil-Critchley.jpg

Blackpool manager Neil Critchley says winning promotion to the Sky Bet Championship justified his decision to leave Liverpool.
Critchley walked away from his job as the Reds’ Under-23s manager in March 2020 and, in his first full season in charge, took the Seasiders back to the second tier for the first time in six years with a 2-1 League One play-off final win over Lincoln.
The day started horribly for them when Ollie Turton put through his own net after just 48 seconds, but two Kenny Dougall goals either side of half-time deservedly won it for Blackpool.
The 42-year-old was in a secure job at the Anfield club but wanted to test himself and winning promotion has exceeded his expectations.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would end at Wembley with an occasion like this,” he said.
“It was a reason why I left Liverpool because I wanted to taste senior football management, the highs and lows, the journey and it has been a special day.

“They say there is no better way than going up than winning at Wembley. I would have swapped with Grant McCann or Darren Ferguson at Hull or Peterborough after 48 seconds but I can assure you when the final whistle went I have never felt emotion like that before and it was an incredible feeling.
“It is a great, great season. I couldn’t be prouder.”

Blackpool’s plans for the showpiece game were thrown into disarray when striker Ellis Simms suffered an injury in the final training session.
Critchley said he had to revise his plan of attack.
“We have had a lot to deal with in the last 24 hours because of circumstances out of our control,” he added.
“Ellis has been a top performer, even recently the goals he has scored and the way he has led the line.
“We practised all week with him in the team, for him to suffer that the last kick of the last session the day before Wembley was heartbreak for him and us.
“We have had to do that during the season, we have had to be adaptable. The reward the players have got is incredible. We are deserving of going up.”

Lincoln were dreaming of a third promotion in six years and could not have hoped for a better start after they went in front after just 48 seconds.

Boss Michael Appleton, who used to manage Blackpool, felt his side might have gone in front too early, but says they have to use this defeat as motivation.
“No one wants to lose a play-off final,” he said. We got off to a decent start, maybe too good of a start.
“We had moments, but we were playing against a really motivated side who have been on a fantastic run since the turn of the year.
“We gave them an OK game but that doesn’t win you finals. I am not going to be critical of the players for what they have produced over the season.
“We have fell short at the final hurdle, sometimes you need to do that to get over the line.
“If we don’t use this as an example to try and push forward and be in these type of games on a regular basis then there is something wrong.”

You blokes should really swap mobile phone numbers for future use via the private message system on this site or when you reunite at Bloomers next season if you haven't already done so!!

Last edited:
Ingham ' Graham ' has a whats app group with the lads from his pub, all ipshit fans, shame it was a sunday evening as there was no one there when we got home, but im sure we both will be making big of it the coming weeks. just a shame the budgies got promotion for us.

Yates: We Always Believed
6 Hours ago

Large

After a superb 2-1 Play-Off Final win over Lincoln City on Sunday, Jerry Yates said Blackpool always believed they could do it, as the Seasiders confirmed their place in the Sky Bet Championship next season.
“I’m buzzing with the result,” he said.
“After the first ten minutes, I thought we were in for a long day, but all the lads showed unbelievable character and reacted well, so it was a good day all around.

“We believed - we always believe. In every game we concede, we always believe that we can come from behind and win the game. I don’t know what to say - I’m speechless and buzzing.”
Although most of the goalscoring pressure has been on Yates this season, two Kenny Dougall strikes saw Neil Critchley’s side clinch promotion, and Yates couldn’t be happier for the Aussie.
“I’m delighted for him. He’s been unbelievable all season, so he deserves them two goals today, and he’s an unsung hero if I’m honest.
“He has now got to go and do it in Dubai on international duty for Australia, so I hope he enjoys it, and he deserves every little bit of success he gets.”
Despite conceding early, Yates praised the side's character in coming from behind to secure the win.
“We never doubted ourselves when we conceded. We can come back from anything, and we have shown that many times this season. The character that we showed was fantastic, and we’ve gone on and won the game 2-1.”
Yates also wanted to dedicate today’s promotion to everyone associated with the Club and described how he has sights already set on next season.
“Today has to be up there in my career. The fans get a day out at Wembley, and it means a lot.
“The manager has kept us going, kept us believing, and we’ve paid him back. We’ve done it for him, the owner, the staff and the fans and I can’t wait to get going next season.

Nottingham Forest duo post emotional messages as loan spells come to contrasting end
Reds youngsters Jordan Gabriel and Brennan Johnson were on opposite sides in the League One play-off final.
It was a case of contrasting emotions for Nottingham Forest youngsters Jordan Gabriel and Brennan Johnson as their loan spells came to an end.

The former was part of the Blackpool squad which toppled Johnson’s Lincoln City 2-1 in the League One play-off final at Wembley.

Right-back Gabriel was an unused substitute for the Seasiders as his season-long loan was capped with promotion to the Championship.

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 21.38.27.png

He made 35 appearances for Neil Critchley’s side and scored his first professional goal earlier in the campaign.

Posting some pictures of the post-match celebrations on Instagram, Gabriel wrote: “PROMOTION BABY! What an incredible experience! What a team! That was for the fans!”

While Gabriel celebrated, Reds teammate and fellow Nigel Doughty Academy graduate Johnson was left feeling quite the opposite.

The 20-year-old had been included in the Imps’ starting XI and played a part in them taking the lead after just 48 seconds, when his cross was turned into his own net by Ollie Turton.
But despite causing Blackpool plenty of problems, Johnson was unable to prevent Lincoln falling to goals from Kenny Dougall either side of half-time.
He posted afterwards: “Thank you to this unbelievable club for giving me the platform to express myself and believing in me. Wanted to also thank the fans for their support from afar for most of the season and gutted we couldn’t finish off the job today. Lastly wanted to say thank you to the manager, players and staff for taking me in from day one.”

Johnson still enjoyed an impressive stint at Sincil Bank, racking up 13 goals in 49 games.
His dad, David, posted a picture of Gabriel and Johnson together, writing: “The Home of English football @wembleystadium is the best stadium to play. But it’s the worst place to lose. Well done @brenjohnson_ on a fantastic season.”

Johnson and Gabriel will hope to play a part for their parent club next term.

The duo have gained plenty of experience during their spell away from the City Ground. And while both have attracted attention from other clubs, they are expected to be given a chance to impress by Forest boss Chris Hughton in pre-season.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor..._VaAW-O_eXLq6qg-Zzteyj0YiP9vqlg-8fThNuiR44N3c

Finished 3rd
Noted as the best team from October
Manager of the month awards = 0
EFL team of the season Blackpool players = 0
Quite interesting that. I think that reflects that this promotion (more than any other) has been about collective management and team effort, not just individuals