Match Thread Blackpool v Ipswich Town | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread Blackpool v Ipswich Town

Terrible post match interview from Critch he is in denial.

I agree, that is the first interview he has done that is not realistic and honest. He glosses over the first half, as if it hadn't happened. Perhaps that is because that exposed obvious deficiencies in the quality of play (even the basics, but also the guile and creativity to break down the opposition), of teamwork (the players don't seem to support each other or be up for a fight) and leadership and organisation of defence and midfield (something I have been on about for weeks). We need an experienced captain in midfield and someone to also organise the defence.

I am also beginning to doubt the abilities of NC. Firstly, his substitutions. He has consistently put Williams (who has never scored in his league career) on when we are a goal or two down and takes Anderson off (who at least has a goal in him). He should have used Kemp and Lubella to at least have a go at the opposition. Hamilton should have been subbed because he was totally ineffective. It was only yesterday that NC finally relented and started Madine, who was the only player who looked like scoring. Secondly, NC has also been stubborn about bringing in a couple of experienced leaders in both midfield and defence. It is ok signing 'the best of league two' but they have no experience at a higher level to draw upon and look totally lost and devoid of ideas and organisation at times. Thirdly, the majority of the squad were signed early, so NC has had plenty of time to work with them and develop a relationship. Something is not right, whether the players lack of quality, the tactics or the manager's motivations (or inexperience) to get them up for a fight. He also does not seem to have a plan B. I was a bit surprised that he didn't bring in someone more experienced as his assistant ( but that is consistent with his approach on recruiting the playing squad).
The 2 new centre backs may help in defence (even though it was the full back at fault yesterday) but that still does not solve the lack of cutting edge both in midfield and attack or question marks over NC's abilities.

I suppose the thing that strikes me the most is the, ahem excuses that, we've brought a lot of new players in, they need to gel, they're a young squad yah de yah de yah etc etc. A lot of teams have brought new players in, new coach, younger players but it seems like we're really struggling. Maybe LC doesn't have the dressing room? He seems a nice enough fellah but can he bond a team? Can he motivate a team? Can he kick arse when he needs to?
Time will tell of course and as I've said, I'll keep the faith.

For now.

I suppose the thing that strikes me the most is the, ahem excuses that, we've brought a lot of new players in, they need to gel, they're a young squad yah de yah de yah etc etc. A lot of teams have brought new players in, new coach, younger players but it seems like we're really struggling. Maybe LC doesn't have the dressing room? He seems a nice enough fellah but can he bond a team? Can he motivate a team? Can he kick arse when he needs to?
Time will tell of course and as I've said, I'll keep the faith.

Bob, can you see him kicking ass ?

For now.

Chucking money about isn’t necessarily going to work we’ve recruited the wrong management team the wrong players (not one of them looked like they cared yesterday I could maybe argue the case for robson) Critchley is completely out of his depth and needs to go ASAP

Going to attempt my second long post of the day, so apologies in advance if I bore you all!

Let me start by saying I am not 100% convinced that NC is or will be a good manager. If you look back at my posts when he was appointed, you'll see that I had my reservations (others on here were absolutely cockahoop with his appointment). Personally, I'd have preferred someone with more experience (although look at how it went with Grayson!) and I'm convinced he wouldn't have even been on the radar had he not managed those two Liverpool games last season.

I still remember his introductory media interviews and he looked uncomfortable infront of the camera. However, I was willing to give him a chance.

When I disagree with people calling for his head now and point out the track records of previous successful BFC managers, it's not because I 100% think NC is the man for the job, it's because I don't think we've seen enough body of work from him to decide either way.

Success in football, like life, is not lineal. Sometimes things take time to come together. Sometimes there's bumps along the way. Sometimes we doubt we'll achieve what we're aiming for. Sometimes we'll get angry and not think rationally, particularly in the heat of the moment or immediately after some bad news. Sometimes we'll have a lack of confidence or belief. Sometimes we'll panic. Sometimes we'll realise we got something wrong and need to learn to adapt, to change, to improve. As long as we're heading in a positive direction overall though, we should be happy. And I think, overall, we are, even if results on the field don't suggest it at the moment.

The last four BFC managers who won promotion did not have brilliant starts to their reigns, as I posted earlier. However, we stuck by them, even when people on here were posting calling for them to be sacked.

Those of you who are calling for his head; do you always chuck the towel in if something doesn't work immediately? What would have happened had Churchill chucked the towel in after some of his big defeats in WW2? Please note that I'm not suggesting that NC is Churchillian by any stretch of the imagination!

Those of you calling for his head, who would you appoint? Would you sack them too if they had the same record as NC after the same number of games? Would you then sell all the players and bring in an entire new squad again? That's no way to run a football club. We used to laugh at other fanbases who reacted in this way, and now a lot of our fans are reacting in exactly the same way but don't have the self-awareness to see it.

I used to think it was younger people who had no sense of pragmatism or a willingness to wait for good things, but it's the older generation too. Everything has to go well or work immediately or it's shit.

We're all desperate for success, but it might not (and isn't) happen(ing) overnight. Does that mean we're completely on the wrong track and start over? No. But do we keep having to look for improvement, no matter how small? Absolutely yes.

Oxford and Portsmouth didn't start last season brilliantly, but both made the playoffs. Oxford haven't started this season well either; perhaps they should sack Robinson? Indeed, haven't Portsmouth been in this division for four seasons now? Even if I think it's a pretty bang average league again this season, it's not an easy league to get out of - as our previous history shows.

Let's have some perspective - if the Oystons were still in charge during Covid we'd be absolutely fucked. There's every chance the club could have gone pop. So when premier1 is fretting that we might not be successful between now and when he's no longer here (and let's face it, he'll probably outlast us all as obstinate as he is), he should be thankful that at least we're not Bury, Macclesfield or Wigan.

I've seen people saying that other clubs have bought in a large number of players as well and started well, so why haven't we? Lincoln is the common one right now, but they lost to Bristol Rovers yesterday. Presumably if they lose next weekend v Fleetwood as well, people will conveniently stop using them as an example? The Lincoln fans I posted about last week are convinced we'll end the season higher than them, and they had a 100% record until yesterday!

People keep saying we need more experience, particularly at the back and in midfield. But our average age is older than that of Lincoln and Gillingham's two centre halves and two centre mids were 20, 20, 19 and 19 respectively.

For me, experience does not necessarily equate to leadership (and I do agree that we need more leadership as NC is essentially trying to organise and talk them all through the games from the side at the moment). You should have a blend of ages in your side in my opinion, and to be honest we have enough players in the squad who have enough games under their belts to be showing more accountability, particularly when things aren't going our way.

Who would people bring in in terms of experience? Individuals got excited when Fox was linked, but he's off to India which is surely a sign that he's not of the required standard? People harped on about Adam again this summer, but he's ended up in the Scottish Championship... if he was still good enough, surely he'd have ended up playing at a better level?

I'm not suggesting I have all the answers, and we clearly do need a bit more business in the transfer market between and it closing, but we have been a lot more aggressive and ruthless in the market than I expected. I said earlier this summer I felt it'd take 3 windows for NC to transform the squad so he was happy with it, but a lot of the work has been done in this window - even if it is taking some/several of the players time to click.

I think we need to remember we're a League One side and we're not going to have world beaters in our team. Take Feeney for instance - he was horse shit in his first season. Even with Armand, some of those now saying we miss him massively were saying he was a big lump when he was with us and that he was the reason we were playing hoofball! Now we're trying to play a more expansive game and it's not working, people seem to want to go back to a style of play they were criticising last season!

I know it's still early in the season, but are any of the players we've let go pulling up any trees? Take Hardie for instance. He's played three games for Plymouth (starting two) and not scored a goal. Nor has he completed ninety minutes for them yet.

Not everyone we sign will work out, but at least we have a clearly defined way of working now and players signed to the club for at least more than 12 months or a short term loan deal.

I do think we have lessons to learn when it comes to recruitment (as the large turnover in the squad this summer demonstrates), and I am concerned that we are too reliant on agents. But again, I dread to think who we would have signed if the O's were still in charge.

Personally, I've certainly seen things from NC I like, but I've also seen things that I think he needs to improve, and in some cases, improve substantially.

One improvement I've seen from him is how he deals with the media; he's much more confident now. I know he doesn't always look the interviewer in the eye, but I do the same thing when I'm trying to gather my thoughts and give a considered answer, and I'd much rather have a manager give a considered answer than have one spouting the crap Grayson did last season.

I haven't listened to his interview from yesterday, but he's clearly not one for calling out players in public and I respect that. Grayson called out players left, right and centre last season and look at how that went. From what I understand, NC expects very high standards and isn't afraid of holding players to account when he doesn't have a microphone in his face.

He does need to improve like I say, as do the results, but, just like how he now deals with the media, I think he's shown he's the sort of manager that can improve. And I want to see improvement in how we defend. I want to see improvement in winning challenges. I want to see improvement in our attacking play. I want to see improvement in set pieces.

NC is clearly learning on the job and has made and will continue to make mistakes along the way (I still question his choice of assistant manager for instance), but SS is learning on the job and has made and will continue to make mistakes along the way... perhaps we should get rid of him too?

I do feel a little for NC. Expectations are sky high (personally I've said before I'd be happy with 10th this season, and I also didn't think we'd have a good start to the season), and he's taken a job where after a matter of days we've gone into lockdown and things haven't been normal since. That's a hell of a lot to deal with in your first job, and we've seen how it's affected other, bigger clubs than us.

As I said earlier today though, I do think NC is about to enter a key run of league games with five of the next six very winnable in my eyes. We should have a clearer picture of things then I think.

Going to attempt my second long post of the day, so apologies in advance if I bore you all!

Let me start by saying I am not 100% convinced that NC is or will be a good manager. If you look back at my posts when he was appointed, you'll see that I had my reservations (others on here were absolutely cockahoop with his appointment). Personally, I'd have preferred someone with more experience (although look at how it went with Grayson!) and I'm convinced he wouldn't have even been on the radar had he not managed those two Liverpool games last season.

I still remember his introductory media interviews and he looked uncomfortable infront of the camera. However, I was willing to give him a chance.

When I disagree with people calling for his head now and point out the track records of previous successful BFC managers, it's not because I 100% think NC is the man for the job, it's because I don't think we've seen enough body of work from him to decide either way.

Success in football, like life, is not lineal. Sometimes things take time to come together. Sometimes there's bumps along the way. Sometimes we doubt we'll achieve what we're aiming for. Sometimes we'll get angry and not think rationally, particularly in the heat of the moment or immediately after some bad news. Sometimes we'll have a lack of confidence or belief. Sometimes we'll panic. Sometimes we'll realise we got something wrong and need to learn to adapt, to change, to improve. As long as we're heading in a positive direction overall though, we should be happy. And I think, overall, we are, even if results on the field don't suggest it at the moment.

The last four BFC managers who won promotion did not have brilliant starts to their reigns, as I posted earlier. However, we stuck by them, even when people on here were posting calling for them to be sacked.

Those of you who are calling for his head; do you always chuck the towel in if something doesn't work immediately? What would have happened had Churchill chucked the towel in after some of his big defeats in WW2? Please note that I'm not suggesting that NC is Churchillian by any stretch of the imagination!

Those of you calling for his head, who would you appoint? Would you sack them too if they had the same record as NC after the same number of games? Would you then sell all the players and bring in an entire new squad again? That's no way to run a football club. We used to laugh at other fanbases who reacted in this way, and now a lot of our fans are reacting in exactly the same way but don't have the self-awareness to see it.

I used to think it was younger people who had no sense of pragmatism or a willingness to wait for good things, but it's the older generation too. Everything has to go well or work immediately or it's shit.

We're all desperate for success, but it might not (and isn't) happen(ing) overnight. Does that mean we're completely on the wrong track and start over? No. But do we keep having to look for improvement, no matter how small? Absolutely yes.

Oxford and Portsmouth didn't start last season brilliantly, but both made the playoffs. Oxford haven't started this season well either; perhaps they should sack Robinson? Indeed, haven't Portsmouth been in this division for four seasons now? Even if I think it's a pretty bang average league again this season, it's not an easy league to get out of - as our previous history shows.

Let's have some perspective - if the Oystons were still in charge during Covid we'd be absolutely fucked. There's every chance the club could have gone pop. So when premier1 is fretting that we might not be successful between now and when he's no longer here (and let's face it, he'll probably outlast us all as obstinate as he is), he should be thankful that at least we're not Bury, Macclesfield or Wigan.

I've seen people saying that other clubs have bought in a large number of players as well and started well, so why haven't we? Lincoln is the common one right now, but they lost to Bristol Rovers yesterday. Presumably if they lose next weekend v Fleetwood as well, people will conveniently stop using them as an example? The Lincoln fans I posted about last week are convinced we'll end the season higher than them, and they had a 100% record until yesterday!

People keep saying we need more experience, particularly at the back and in midfield. But our average age is older than that of Lincoln and Gillingham's two centre halves and two centre mids were 20, 20, 19 and 19 respectively.

For me, experience does not necessarily equate to leadership (and I do agree that we need more leadership as NC is essentially trying to organise and talk them all through the games from the side at the moment). You should have a blend of ages in your side in my opinion, and to be honest we have enough players in the squad who have enough games under their belts to be showing more accountability, particularly when things aren't going our way.

Who would people bring in in terms of experience? Individuals got excited when Fox was linked, but he's off to India which is surely a sign that he's not of the required standard? People harped on about Adam again this summer, but he's ended up in the Scottish Championship... if he was still good enough, surely he'd have ended up playing at a better level?

I'm not suggesting I have all the answers, and we clearly do need a bit more business in the transfer market between and it closing, but we have been a lot more aggressive and ruthless in the market than I expected. I said earlier this summer I felt it'd take 3 windows for NC to transform the squad so he was happy with it, but a lot of the work has been done in this window - even if it is taking some/several of the players time to click.

I think we need to remember we're a League One side and we're not going to have world beaters in our team. Take Feeney for instance - he was horse shit in his first season. Even with Armand, some of those now saying we miss him massively were saying he was a big lump when he was with us and that he was the reason we were playing hoofball! Now we're trying to play a more expansive game and it's not working, people seem to want to go back to a style of play they were criticising last season!

I know it's still early in the season, but are any of the players we've let go pulling up any trees? Take Hardie for instance. He's played three games for Plymouth (starting two) and not scored a goal. Nor has he completed ninety minutes for them yet.

Not everyone we sign will work out, but at least we have a clearly defined way of working now and players signed to the club for at least more than 12 months or a short term loan deal.

I do think we have lessons to learn when it comes to recruitment (as the large turnover in the squad this summer demonstrates), and I am concerned that we are too reliant on agents. But again, I dread to think who we would have signed if the O's were still in charge.

Personally, I've certainly seen things from NC I like, but I've also seen things that I think he needs to improve, and in some cases, improve substantially.

One improvement I've seen from him is how he deals with the media; he's much more confident now. I know he doesn't always look the interviewer in the eye, but I do the same thing when I'm trying to gather my thoughts and give a considered answer, and I'd much rather have a manager give a considered answer than have one spouting the crap Grayson did last season.

I haven't listened to his interview from yesterday, but he's clearly not one for calling out players in public and I respect that. Grayson called out players left, right and centre last season and look at how that went. From what I understand, NC expects very high standards and isn't afraid of holding players to account when he doesn't have a microphone in his face.

He does need to improve like I say, as do the results, but, just like how he now deals with the media, I think he's shown he's the sort of manager that can improve. And I want to see improvement in how we defend. I want to see improvement in winning challenges. I want to see improvement in our attacking play. I want to see improvement in set pieces.

NC is clearly learning on the job and has made and will continue to make mistakes along the way (I still question his choice of assistant manager for instance), but SS is learning on the job and has made and will continue to make mistakes along the way... perhaps we should get rid of him too?

I do feel a little for NC. Expectations are sky high (personally I've said before I'd be happy with 10th this season, and I also didn't think we'd have a good start to the season), and he's taken a job where after a matter of days we've gone into lockdown and things haven't been normal since. That's a hell of a lot to deal with in your first job, and we've seen how it's affected other, bigger clubs than us.

As I said earlier today though, I do think NC is about to enter a key run of league games with five of the next six very winnable in my eyes. We should have a clearer picture of things then I think.
Great post Abel 👍 still firmly believe Critch is the man to turn it around. Once the players gel we can go places

Are you sure Critchley has the right glue,we all hope he turns out to be a great success but not looking rosy at the moment.

Hard to believe I know, but I've actually got a little to add to that!

In terms of SS's mistakes, like I said last weekend, I felt it was a mistake to say the aim is promotion (with the players then reiterating that) as that just puts the pressure on and we've always done better when we're unfancied. I know why he did it (wanting to give the fans hope + distance himself from the Os), but the reality was there was loads that needed to be sorted at the club to give us a solid platform.

I think he'll have reservations over some of his hires as well. Take Mansford for instance. He let Larry disregard the scouting department last Jan, then made a real mess of replacing him until SS stepped back in.

Switching back to NC, and I know pre-season games ultimately count for nothing, but I didn't see anyone calling for his head when we stuck 3 past a strong Everton team or lead a strong Liverpool team at half time. Or even in season when we kept a clean sheet against Championship Stoke. All those were a matter of just weeks ago and suggest to me there is ability and potential in this side. I just hope he's the man to bring it out of them consistently.

Another great post Abel. Ever thought of taking up sports journalism? :grinning:
The thing is a few results that have gone against us could so easily have gone the other way and I suspect if we had played much like we have but got a couple of lucky breaks and say 4 points more, there wouldn't be so much negativity on here.

Another great post Abel. Ever thought of taking up sports journalism? :grinning:
The thing is a few results that have gone against us could so easily have gone the other way and I suspect if we had played much like we have but got a couple of lucky breaks and say 4 points more, there wouldn't be so much negativity on here.

Wow teachers approval again :clap:...... I guess I'm in the naughty corner :tongue::grinning:

I’m all for giving a manager time but we’ve got to at least show something I was dumbfounded last season we managed to beat Oxford I don’t think we can compare ourselves to that early season side of there’s you could see there was a good side waiting to click. I see absolutely nothing with us not one thing we are poor we are playing like a loads of kids we lose to Crewe next week which is very probable and the rot will set in. Yes we’re stuck with this clown for a while longer but we’re looking at the bottom six not the top six. It’s going to be a very depressing season.

Hi folks, new here. Used to post on the AVFTT FOL board and the short-lived BFC Online that's moved to a new platform. Been keeping tabs on here and seems a decent forum.

Simon Sadler said at the start he wants a Head Coach / Director of Football / Head of Recruitment structure but he just hasn't got the right people in the right roles yet for me. I don't think having a Chief Exec who thinks he's a DoF because he used to be an agent, and knows other agents, is right for our club. And I don't see how pro-active or effective Tommy Johnson can be as HoR because of that, but even as a talent spotter full stop. I think he's just someone who flits around from club to club and is easily moved on.

I also don't think it's right that they've brought in two youth coaches based on nothing other than the notion that because they've been at Liverpool they must be OK at managing a league one football team. You could see from early pre-season they're only interested in overcoaching lower league players into a rigid 4-1-2-3 formation with point-to-point passing, holding a high defensive line offside trap and don't seem to see the downside to several players being played out of position. Nothing on improving individuals or countering the opposition as yet. Do they even have any new ideas of their own appropriate the job they're doing? What is their remit from the club?

You never know when the next win will come from and how that will change the feeling, and god knows Critchley will be desperate for something to fall his way soon, but right now the way it's headed I'd say if it does sort itself out then it's going to have to come from an almighty bust up where the players read the riot act to the coaches, and then things might change. We're only eight competitive games in and Critchley already looks like he'd cry if anyone shouted at him and buggered up his coaching sessions and routine. It looks like anyone who might be capable of confrontation or opinion at the club has been removed, as that's how Mansford comes across as well. Husband maybe the only one left who feels like he's got some umph to him, and he did already hint on how the players are feeling in an interview and what they need to be doing a few weeks ago.

I was busy so I couldn't get to see the game yesterday, as I'd made other plans based on having no fixture, but when I saw the teamsheet I couldn't work out the formation until I got a text to say he'd gone with another full back at centre half, only one step further with a right back at LCH this time. Following on from the success of how it worked with a left back there last week! It felt like a waste of a rearranged game considering the opposition and our defensive availability/form problems due to the lack of planning and preparation since March. At best it was a game where they could have gone to a back three and midfield structure to see if they could get anything from it against an opposition in form, battled more for a result and made the players feel better about being in a team playing in an empty ground. Try and give them something to build on.

It's maybe to be expected when throwing youth team coaches at proper football but there's a few odd things quickly mounting up at the moment where I think we might look back on it when things are more stable and think 'what the hell was going on there?!'. There's no quality control at the club.

I think everyone is learning on the job from top to bottom we seem to have made a massive mess of things in such a short time and it’s going to take a hell of a lot longer to sort it all out with players on long contracts I don’t see us getting out of this division at the right end anytime soon.

Hi folks, new here. Used to post on the AVFTT FOL board and the short-lived BFC Online that's moved to a new platform. Been keeping tabs on here and seems a decent forum.

Simon Sadler said at the start he wants a Head Coach / Director of Football / Head of Recruitment structure but he just hasn't got the right people in the right roles yet for me. I don't think having a Chief Exec who thinks he's a DoF because he used to be an agent, and knows other agents, is right for our club. And I don't see how pro-active or effective Tommy Johnson can be as HoR because of that, but even as a talent spotter full stop. I think he's just someone who flits around from club to club and is easily moved on.

I also don't think it's right that they've brought in two youth coaches based on nothing other than the notion that because they've been at Liverpool they must be OK at managing a league one football team. You could see from early pre-season they're only interested in overcoaching lower league players into a rigid 4-1-2-3 formation with point-to-point passing, holding a high defensive line offside trap and don't seem to see the downside to several players being played out of position. Nothing on improving individuals or countering the opposition as yet. Do they even have any new ideas of their own appropriate the job they're doing? What is their remit from the club?

You never know when the next win will come from and how that will change the feeling, and god knows Critchley will be desperate for something to fall his way soon, but right now the way it's headed I'd say if it does sort itself out then it's going to have to come from an almighty bust up where the players read the riot act to the coaches, and then things might change. We're only eight competitive games in and Critchley already looks like he'd cry if anyone shouted at him and buggered up his coaching sessions and routine. It looks like anyone who might be capable of confrontation or opinion at the club has been removed, as that's how Mansford comes across as well. Husband maybe the only one left who feels like he's got some umph to him, and he did already hint on how the players are feeling in an interview and what they need to be doing a few weeks ago.

I was busy so I couldn't get to see the game yesterday, as I'd made other plans based on having no fixture, but when I saw the teamsheet I couldn't work out the formation until I got a text to say he'd gone with another full back at centre half, only one step further with a right back at LCH this time. Following on from the success of how it worked with a left back there last week! It felt like a waste of a rearranged game considering the opposition and our defensive availability/form problems due to the lack of planning and preparation since March. At best it was a game where they could have gone to a back three and midfield structure to see if they could get anything from it against an opposition in form, battled more for a result and made the players feel better about being in a team playing in an empty ground. Try and give them something to build on.

It's maybe to be expected when throwing youth team coaches at proper football but there's a few odd things quickly mounting up at the moment where I think we might look back on it when things are more stable and think 'what the hell was going on there?!'. There's no quality control at the club.

and yes welcome aboard 👍🏻

Cheers guys.

Yes it's not cut and dried that it will or won't work, but I just think with the environment that NC has come from he himself will need a rocket up his arse every now and again from somewhere (even though there isn't anyone on the football side at the club to do it), because I can see that he will revert to just coaching a method and that's all you will get out of him. The players started off all full of beans in pre-season but you could quickly see the enthusiasm and individuality drain as they give themselves up to this one way of playing.

I saw the Accy game midweek and Grant Ward actually tried to tackle Dan Kemp in the build up to the ball rolling to Keshi Anderson for the finish. Ward turned round to rollock Kemp as if they were working to different sets of instructions, or Kemp had accidentally strayed into his area of the pitch when he shouldn't. And Bez Lubala started off well probably for the first time, but you could see as the first half went on he was checking his runs and looking around for passes, as if it had been drilled into him that's his only option. He soon faded out of the game and obviously wasn't alone. All a bit formulaic, paint by numbers. I doubt anyone really cares about the LDV Vans Trophy but I watched as I wanted to see if they could express themselves more with the pressure off, they couldn't.