Match Thread Blackpool v Ipswich Town | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread Blackpool v Ipswich Town

I've only seen him use his left foot for standing on and his right for kicking. Gretarsson/Husband for LCH and Ballard/Ekpiteta for RCH by looks of it unless they're switching to a back three.

That's what I thought they'd have gone for on Saturday as basically a free hit but seems intent on drilling away at his attempt at a Liverpool copy with up to 5/6 players out of their natural positions. Not even seen it trialed for half a pre-season game, only when NC first came in to what was already in place and even then he managed to end up putting a centre half at right wing back (Moore v Tranmere second half)!

That's what I thought they'd have gone for on Saturday as basically a free hit but seems intent on drilling away at his attempt at a Liverpool copy with up to 5/6 players out of their natural positions. Not even seen it trialed for half a pre-season game, only when NC first came in to what was already in place and even then he managed to end up putting a centre half at right wing back (Moore v Tranmere second half)!
Not sure why we'd have gone to a back three when we struggled to field 2 CB's as it was?

I just wondered because of that if Critchley was going to throw us a curve ball in and go with Thorniley (after including him v Accy), Ekpiteta and Turton as a three with wing backs with the options that were available, but obviously he left Thorniley on the bench for the 90 to watch a right back playing left sided centre half, so we know beyond any doubt now that he's a goner when they can move him on.

I had something like this in mind before I saw the team sheet

Maxwell
Turton Ekpiteta Thorniley
Gabriel Williams Robson Mitchell
Hamilton Anderson
Yates

I don't rate Husband as a regular CB, but he is a decent LB defender, which is his natural position. And that is what we need, defenders that can defend. Mitchell could play further forward, as his strength is attacking. I just cannot see why NC signed Garbutt to be honest

I just thought he'd been offered to the club for a year because he's local and had run of options to put himself in the shop window. And his agent had already sent other players this way in the summer so dangled the carrot. And they've heard of him and seen him taking free kicks and gone for it.

If they keep to this set up it looks like Garbutt is going to be one of two left backs with Mitchell, but both look more like left wingers to me. Or at least two players that in time you'll want to see moved out of harms way defensively and put further forward when they're involved.

And it looks like Husband is going to be one of two left centre halves. Unless he gets the Nottingham treatment and is just being manoeuvred into that position as a stopgap to be replaced and later disposed of. But again he isn't a centre half, he's still the only recognised left back at the club for me in terms of the things that I expect a league one left back to be doing in a back four. It's one of a few things that doesn't feel right really, but this is where we are with this bold new outlook that I can't remember asking for!

Poolfc's post made me think about what he said on the Accrington match and he does have a point.
Yes, formation is vital and we can analyse it all till the cows come home, but if they don't have the knowhow or the freedom to play or express themselves, what chance have they got to go up a gear ? I liked what Carlo Ancelotti said the other week too, about football being a simple game. It doesn't need to be complicated. I think the way forward is for the players to enjoy themselves. After all, too much tension can lead to defeat.

Last edited:
Hopefully behind the scenes it's not just about drilling in a way of playing until it hurts, and lads will be moved on if they can't hack it, and there's some honesty on both sides about what everyone is capable of. If for nothing else other than we can't keep having a full squad change every transfer window!

I've been told he's left footed.

NI have put Ballard in against Norway again tonight. Started on the right of a back three. Haaland got in behind him after 1 min on first attack but attempt just cleared off the line, solid enough first 20 mins apart from that considering the opposition. He's marking Josh King this time, bit more comfortable than the buffeting he got off Sorloth in the home game.

Everything going on his right foot when in possession. Taken it on his left a couple of times, stopped and shifted to his right.

NI have put Ballard in against Norway again tonight. Started on the right of a back three. Haaland got in behind him after 1 min on first attack but attempt just cleared off the line, solid enough first 20 mins apart from that considering the opposition. He's marking Josh King this time, bit more comfortable than the buffeting he got off Sorloth in the home game.

Everything going on his right foot when in possession. Taken it on his left a couple of times, stopped and shifted to his right.
Yeah cheers fella, saw he was starting and stuck the game on. Certainly seems to favour his right more, although seems comfortable with his left too. He's had a couple of moments where he's been caught out, but also a couple of moments where he's done really well. Saw him organising their offside trap at one point. Interesting the co-commentator said he's with us for the season (like Arsenal have) when we've said the loan is only until Jan.

Think they need to clarify and sort that out, if not already done so and they just worded it wrong on the announcement. Because if he does start to form any sort of partnership with someone, and also become our de-facto defensive player-coach if he's got leadership and organisation about him, then we're going to want to keep him for the season.

Done OK in this so far. Although he has Jonny Evans and Tom Flanagan alongside. And five in front with the wing backs clearly told to drop in as much as possible. He won't have that here.

Sorloth on causing problems immediately and I don't know what DB was doing on that corner then for the Norway goal. Superman dive past the ball!

Evans off injured at half time.