Match Thread Blackpool v Barnsley | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread Blackpool v Barnsley

My thoughts from the couch today:
We need to be clinical in front of goal. Lavery missed great chance in first 10 mins and the Arsenal lad couldn't get the ball out of his feet yo get any purchase on his shot at 1 0.
We always look nervous at 1 goal up.
That said we controlled the first half for 44mins. Great but of skill from Keshi who was superb first half and a great finish from Lavery.
Second half once Arsenal lad went off we lost the high press and I'm sad to say Madine offered next to nowt when he came on and we went under the cosh.
Knobber made 2 good saves but his kicking is getting worse
Captain or not he needs replacing for me.
Dougall grew into the game.
Garbutt got in to 2 great positions but both times took 1 touch too much and the opportunity was lost

MOTM for me was Chelski kid. Superb and is a real unit. Got more forward than last Sat too. Well done Dujon.

A wins a win. 9 pts out of 12 with a right test coming up next Sat. T'rovers stuffed Baadiff 5 1 today and we all remember what they did to use.

Tues is a winnable game and I'd take 3pts from the next 2 games.

Neil Critchley hailed the impact of 'pest' Shayne Lavery after the Northern Ireland international's goal handed Blackpool a well-deserved 1-0 win over Barnsley.
Lavery's sixth goal for club and country in all competitions this season came on 32 minutes as he latched on to Keshi Anderson's perfectly-weighted ball into the left channel and clinically tucked home from a narrow angle.
The 22-year-old was a thorn in Barnsley's side all afternoon, forcing Tykes goalkeeper Brad Collins into a smart early save after getting on the end of another Anderson cross and also testing the stopper from 15 yards in the second half.

"Shayne was a real pest today – he deserved his goal," said Blackpool boss Critchley. "He was a real handful for the Barnsley defence and he could have scored more.
"His speed of thought is amazing and he has great positional sense. He attacks spaces so well and he can be a major threat for us.
"He put in an excellent centre-forward's display."
Although the game ended 1-0 and Barnsley did have chances of their own, Blackpool were good value for the win.
Collins brilliantly smothered Luke Garbutt's close-range effort just before Lavery's opener, while Anderson and Tyreece John-Jules saw second-half attempts go wide.
Critchley added: "I'm very happy of course. We were very good, in the first half particularly, but sometimes when you don't make it two when you're on top it can come back to bite you.
"If you just make that one error, especially in this division, it can prove so costly. Overall I thought we deserved the win though.
"We looked more solid again, as we have done in a couple of recent games. We're getting back to our old selves now I think.
"Hopefully we're finding our feet in this league, and that's a big thing for a side that is newly promoted."

While the Seasiders now have three victories in their last four Championship games, Barnsley's winless streak in the competition reached seven matches.
The Tykes had their moments at Bloomfield Road – home goalkeeper Chris Maxwell brilliantly palming away Victor Adeboyejo's crisp effort just before half-time and denying Cauley Woodrow from a tight angle late on.
However, manager Markus Schopp was frustrated by his side's failure to do the basics correctly across the course of the game.
"We did struggle in that first 45 minutes and we didn't really deal with the most important duels well enough," explained Schopp.
"It was too easy for them when we conceded the goal. It's just not good enough, and I've said that before this season.
"The lads know that they can do so much better, but again one single error in defence has proved very costly for us.
"In the Championship we know it's a very tough league, and everybody has to learn fast.
"We have got a very young squad here but that's definitely not an excuse. First of all we have to look at the basic things we've not done.
"We need to improve our away form, everyone can see that. We've got two home games to come now though.
"We'll find the right words and the right decisions ahead of the next game and hopefully that will help to get us the result we need."

Aaaaaay up---Thankfully, we managed to hang on and get all 3 points. It was a nightmare of a game to watch when we only had the one goal to our advantage and we looked pretty bloody vulnerable defensively. We really missed Gabriel at RB but the old war horse played well as did Spud. Maxine was of a concern with his poor kicking but did make a couple of vital saves to keep them out. On the positive side Anderson and Lavery were outstanding and we are now above the Nobbers. :grinning:

Roll on Tuesday night away at ULL and hopefully Wine Lodge will play upfront instead of young JJ. UTMP :clown:

Last edited: