Match Thread: Big spending Forest Vs West Brom sponsored by bloody cricket | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Big spending Forest Vs West Brom sponsored by bloody cricket

We might have been reasonably solid at the back in open play, but every time they bombed a free kick or corner into the box we looked like conceding, it was panic stations back there, with Colback left trying to mark Bartley on a few occasions. They could have scored 3 times in the first 10 mins. We couldn't cope with their big defenders and we were only comfortable when Pantilimon came and claimed. We need bigger defenders or we are going to struggle again with set pieces. Dawson helps, but you can't play Fox and Osborn together on the left side as they are simply too small.

well WBA are known for the last ten years as one of the most dangerous teams in the world at set pieces so im not sure why people think they wont cause teams problems in this league. Need to have some perspective and in reality expect to concede a goal every game nowadays just cos play has progressed and scoring is what the game is about

Don't follow the harsh criticism of Ben Oz. For most of the game him and Dias kept their best form player quiet. For the goal, he had to come inside and leave Philips alone as the danger at the back post was Rodriguez. When the ball comes out to Philips Oz, Geddy and Fox are all closing down. 9 times out of 10 he would have hit a defender or fire wide/over. He will never hit it sweeter. Great Philips goal. Don't balme Oz.

I've not seen any harsh criticism, wasn't responsible by himself for the goal. Did work well with Dias in the 2nd half, got the usual good work going forwards. But, all the danger was from their right, he was certainly targeted and will be again.

My money is on Ben to overcome- like to see him and all other home grown players play but as much as I love im, he ain't a left back.

For that reason I like your 3-5-2 suggestion (against weaker teams).

We visibly tired and Darikwa in particular was very sloppy in his passing. Figi looked unfit to me and wba targeted Osborn. Osborn was excellent last night.

There were several people guilty of that- geddy and carvalho also gave the ball away. Darikwa did ok for me.

Bottom line, no one let us down imo

I've not seen any harsh criticism, wasn't responsible by himself for the goal. Did work well with Dias in the 2nd half, got the usual good work going forwards. But, all the danger was from their right, he was certainly targeted and will be again.

My money is on Ben to overcome- like to see him and all other home grown players play but as much as I love im, he ain't a left back.

For that reason I like your 3-5-2 suggestion (against weaker teams).

If he's not a left back, who in midfield will you be replacing him with? Also if our goal is promotion, do you think we should play the only proper left back at the club or BO?

If he's not a left back, who in midfield will you be replacing him with? Also if our goal is promotion, do you think we should play the only proper left back at the club or BO?

Bit early for that decision imo. Happy with BO at lb for reading

Excellent performance overall, against one of the strongest squads in the league. We pretty much dominated the game and though they did have a few very good chances themselves, we should have had the game won by then.
The new guys all did well and with some more games under their belts will be even better, as they get to know their team mates.
As I've always said, Geddy is a class act, and now he's had a good pre season he is showing it again. Awesome.
Both Colback and Fig looked a little rusty, but did well regardless. Contrary to some I thought Osborn was excellent. His work rate is phenomenal and I thought he did really well against a very good winger. I also thought Darikwa did well. No one seems to have mentioned the two great covering challenges he made to prevent WBA break always and he made some good runs forward. He was always free and available and if Lolley in particular had spotted him, he would have been clean through on several occasions.
That brings me to Lolley. Worked his socks off, but his decision making in the final third needs to approve. It was abysmal last night. On 4-5 occasions he could have either scored or slipped someone in, but each time he made the wrong decision. He was otherwise excellent, but needs to show more composure.
I thought Grabban did fine, just needs more game time. Looking at the two strikers they were able to bring on when chasing the game, for me highlights why we need another striker. We didn't really have another striker to come on and get us a goal if needed.
I still thought we looked a little suspect from crosses into the box and I was a little frustrated after we scored that we didn't go all out for a second and finish the game off. After we scored, we had several really good break away opportunities, but didn't press it, just turned back and played it backwards. If we had stopped messing about like that, we would have won that game.
But overall, really impressed.

Whilst we were on top wouldn't it have been nice (for once) to have brought Murphy on and stuck him up top with Grabban to spearhead our attack?

It would have given them more food for thought and possibly have restricted them from pushing up on us like they did when hunting for that inevitable goal.

Our fast breaking midfielders would have ripped their defence apart with the option of 2 experienced and proven goal scorers ahead of them.

To be honest Smiths finish was top drawer...as was Gueddy's...probably a fair result...but Gueddy's 70 yarder...amazing

Wonder how Watson gets back in the team