Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

If we dont have anyone who can come in to replace what Jack was doing, then surely we should have been trying to do something different. Its just the same line up (apart from the wingers) and the same formation week after week. I can understand sticking with it for 5 or 6 games but if its still not happening you have to shuffle things about to get the most out of what we have.
Mings is also bringing the ball out from the back now.

Couldn’t agree more, in fact that’s been my only criticism of Dean, that he’s stubbornly sticking to something we all can see isn’t working.

Ok so you're not buying into Smith the Villa fan, great bloke, great football coach blah blah blah........but you are buying into the John Terry, played the game at the highest level, will therefore be a great HEAD coach, no experience whatsoever but everybody will respect him mantra......bit like Thierry.....great, can't wait. Until he loses a few and then he'll be rounded upon by the usual suspects within a few months and we can then get rid and have another go, especially as we now apparently have a structure in place to just hire and fire whenever we want. What a bloody circus!

I actually think John Terry would do a better job than Smith. My opinion. Darren Moore, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard have all done a decent job so far, no experience there.

I actually think we have got a structure in place now where we can hire and fire the manager if the owners choose to do that, but obviously not desirable.

Currently the team with Smith as manager has been shyte since November. Poor quality games, piss poor midfield, even poorer defence and another keeper that looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

This against shit like Wigan,Ipswich,Preston,Hull. Also starting to creep into home games aswell now.

Obviously just my opinion.

12. Every single one of which was played without Axel/Jack. If you don’t understand the significance of that you’re welcome to go back to my previous posts where I talk tactically about why that’s important.

Or better yet, goto YouTube and watch the Derby highlights, don’t even need to trouble yourself to watch the full match. Count the number of attacks on there which start with 1 of 2 things happening: 1) Axel walking the ball through the center of the pitch into the opponent half, forcing midfielders to step to him and opening up space to move out wide leading to a scoring chance. 2) Jack getting the ball in the center, turning and running forward through the center leading to players stepping towards him and space being created for the attack leading to a scoring chance.

You’re welcome to watch the other November games where you will see the very same 2 things happening in the build up to goals and chances.

You’re welcome to watch the 12 matches since those players have been out to count the number of times those things happen. Hint it’s pretty bloody rare.

The Derby game is a long time ago now.

The manager should cope without the odd injury, important player missing.

Sounds like you could do a better job than Smith currently

Ahhhhhh that November period, how many games since then?? We are nearly in March now.

Smith is the manager not Terry, he quite rightly carries the can.

Well, you've asked. 14 matches from December onwards. W3 D7 L4. 16 points from 14 games. Disappointing yes; we wanted to be sailing up the table into the playoffs and beyond. A disaster no. Roughly the same as all the teams around us.

Compare with the 14 matches over the same period 2 years ago under the mighty Bruce. W2 D2 L10. 8 points from 14 games. THAT was a disaster.

Let's keep some perspective. We're on a disappointing run, it happens. But it's not that bad.

I'll hazard a guess that it won't be turned around quickly, although it will be turned around. Stick with Dean. He's doing OK in difficult circumstances.

Well, you've asked. 14 matches from December onwards. W3 D7 L4. 16 points from 14 games. Disappointing yes; we wanted to be sailing up the table into the playoffs and beyond. A disaster no. Roughly the same as all the teams around us.

Compare with the 14 matches over the same period 2 years ago under the mighty Bruce. W2 D2 L10. 8 points from 14 games. THAT was a disaster.

Let's keep some perspective. We're on a disappointing run, it happens. But it's not that bad.

I'll hazard a guess that it won't be turned around quickly, although it will be turned around. Stick with Dean. He's doing OK in difficult circumstances.

Some fair points ?. The current flow/direction/form whatever’s you call it is concerning tho, very concerning.

wow this summer is massive, our best players aren’t ours , I’m usually glass half full but I’m worried, god please don’t let us lose to the caravan dwelling inbreeds in a couple of weeks .

lol, just posted something similar in the Dean Smith thread, it's not plagiarism I swear!

Charlie Nicholas was covering the game for Sky. He said a few things about us, first our team is too old naming Whelan and Hutton as examples saying you can't fault their work rate but they have lost too much pace. He also said that it looked obvious that our defenders don't trust Kalinic. His point about McGinn baffled me a bit, but he said he always runs with his head down and misses the bigger picture leading to a poor shot at the end of a run.

I’m still worried about Kalinic, he’s not convincing me yet. Ok he may have been a bit dazed yesterday but looking at the two goals I think he should have done better. The first, his jump hardly got him off the ground and the second, he dived over the ball.
I’m wondering if being 6’ 7” has as many problems as benefits. The jury is out.

No chance he, or any keeper was saving that 2nd one. I had an unfortunately great view of it and the deflection diverted it hugely. The 1st was either a great header or an extremely flukey header that went in the 1 place that he couldn't reach.

The first goal was a fluke. He had no intention of trying to score from there. The second was deflected and I am not sure Kalanic dived over it. It went in off the post , but it would be harsh to blame him for either goal imho.

Does anyone expect it to be any different on saturday at Stoke ? We won't keep a clean sheet and we won't score .

At Brentford on Wednesday I looked at their side and barely recognised one of their players names. The point is they may not be "names" but they have been moulded into an effective team where their respective strengths compliment each other , so I won't mind us buying players from Accrington and Blackpool if they fit that profile.

Completely at odds with us buying everyone else's best players for exhorbitant prices and wages and throwing them together in the hope that they may gel. Hogan being a prime example.

This sums everything up that’s going on at the club perfectly.

But he didn’t replace them, his recruitment team did. I’m not sure our team will manage to do the same.

You know that for certain then.. ?

You don’t - you’re guessing and jumping to a conclusion that suits your story.

As JPA intimated, he would have a very influential say in who plays on his teams.

I actually think John Terry would do a better job than Smith. My opinion. Darren Moore, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard have all done a decent job so far, no experience there.

I actually think we have got a structure in place now where we can hire and fire the manager if the owners choose to do that, but obviously not desirable.

Currently the team with Smith as manager has been shyte since November. Poor quality games, piss poor midfield, even poorer defence and another keeper that looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

This against shit like Wigan,Ipswich,Preston,Hull. Also starting to creep into home games aswell now.

Obviously just my opinion.

I think the reason terry himself would say he isn’t ready is that he doesn’t have his coaching badges. Moore, gerrard, lampard have their uefa a badges.

If terry himself has said he’s years off being a manager I’m not sure whypeople persist with it.

You know that for certain then.. ?

You don’t - you’re guessing and jumping to a conclusion that suits your story.

As JPA intimated, he would have a very influential say in who plays on his teams.

There's no guessing to it. Its been spoken about by the people at Brentford and was one of the reasons Warburton left as he wanted to have a say in what players came in.

Does anyone expect it to be any different on saturday at Stoke ? We won't keep a clean sheet and we won't score .

I certainly don't with this midfield, although I work next to a stoke who reckons they can't buy a win. No doubt they'll pull off a win against they will Villa though as they will raise their game as they did to beat Leeds

I’m still worried about Kalinic, he’s not convincing me yet. Ok he may have been a bit dazed yesterday but looking at the two goals I think he should have done better. The first, his jump hardly got him off the ground and the second, he dived over the ball.
I’m wondering if being 6’ 7” has as many problems as benefits. The jury is out.
I would say it's equally likely that Kalinic doesn't trust the defence. Early days, get rid of the old fullbacks. What is John Terry up to?