Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v West Bromwich Albion, Sat 16th Feb, 3pm

Negative spin or reality??

If you want to believe and peddle the Smith turned Brentford into Brazil then on you go.

Like I said looking at the current situation Bruce staying may mean we would be in a play off position now, although the football on show would have been awful.

After Smith honeymoon there are more questions than answers. His current record over the last 13 games is very poor to say the least.

Haven’t Villa got a structure now where changing the manager might not be disastrous??

An honest question Tarzan and not meant as a criticism I'm genuinely curious... if Smith went, who would you want and why?

Calmed down today, went out cycling and cleared the mind. Was pissed off after the no show yesterday and further pissed off when that Wolverhampton bound train pulled up at Aston full of those mongs talking shit and doing Zulu signs ??

I wanted to leave earlier yesterday as we just didn’t look like a like scoring at all but after last Friday you just never know. We look absolutely rudderless at the moment, god knows how we’re gonna look without Grealish, McGinn and Abraham next season (Creativity, engine and goals). We’re already seeing how bad we are without Grealish, never thought he was so key but it’s showing. He may not provide the assist or too many goals but he’s not always involved one way or another.

The season’s over for me but to be honest it already was with the teams above us having a game in hand, won’t be arranging my life around any remaining home games as they’re all dead rubbers now.

Only one request for the rest of the season... please don’t lose to them lot in 3 weeks. For the first time in a long time I fear they might actually beat us, the run has to come to an end at some point I guess but can’t bare those lot lording it over us. Fortunately I’m away that weekend so I can avoid it should the worst happen.

An honest question Tarzan and not meant as a criticism I'm genuinely curious... if Smith went, who would you want and why?

I’d go for Terry, I actually think we will end with him anyway as the club kept him in some capacity and probably against Smith wishes this season.

I think the owners have set the correct structure now and as we know have deep pockets. Getting rid of Smith would cost the club the same as it spunked say on Jacob Bedeau, small change to them.

We need someone the players not only respect but also will have teeth and give it to them. I don’t think Smith is that person. I think fans have become blinkered about what he achieved at Brentford, making out he turned them into Brazil. We had our fingers burnt with Lambert after what he did at Norwich.

You could argue Smith has done his job now and being ruthless move him on at very little cost to the club and the structure.

I’m sure I will get criticism about a Terry love in but hey ho.

I’m not buying this Smith villa fan, great football, great bloke, brilliant coach, fantastic Brentford stuff or this patience give him a few seasons rubbish.

Maybe ruthless but after the last 14 games regardless that its Bruce’s players he is stuck with I’m not convinced. I always thought it was a short term appointment anyway, a stop gap between Bruce and a longer term target.

Kalinic is very suspect. 6’7 and he can’t take a cross, why didn’t he come off if he was injured. I would play Steer.
Hause had a good game deserves credit
Whelan looked as though he cared.
Ref was very poor.

Only one request for the rest of the season... please don’t lose to them lot in 3 weeks. For the first time in a long time I fear they might actually beat us, the run has to come to an end at some point I guess but can’t bare those lot lording it over us. Fortunately I’m away that weekend so I can avoid it should the worst happen.

They say every cloud has a silver lining, but for Villa it is every silver lining has a cloud!!
The positives are that Jack will be back for the trip to the Sty, SJM will have had a rest and if they feed him raw meat for a couple of weeks, he will be right up for it. We hopefully will have Kalinic back after his kick in the noggin and with Mings, we have someone with a mean streak to sort out Adams and Jukivich. I hope that we have a couple of kids in who know what this fixture means to the city and we turn them over on their own shit heap. Other than that, the season can then end quickly and we can start thinking (dreaming?) of next season. Oh, how we wish our lives away as Villa fans!!

Nowhere near good enough...again.
I do wonder what the '3 wise men' in the dugout are talking about when they put their get their heads together. ..maybe the previous nights Eastenders episode? 'Cause it sure ain't anything about tactics or style of play, is it!
Throwing Ramsey on in that situation was clueless...El Ghazi has been useless, but he DID score twice at their place...surely he should have started or at least come on to get them out of their deckchairs?
As usual McGinn WAS THE ONLY ONE with urgency...ok I'll throw in the loanees (tammy and mings, though tammy not at his best).
Hutton,Elphick, Hourihane, plodder Whelan, plus all the others have got to go...somehow we HAVE to get these wasters off the payroll.
I say it again..Smith hasn't improved ONE player in 4 months.
And the home goals against record is a bloody DISGRACE!
Bottom half finish anyone??

Our 'youth and u23's are now all in league 2 on loan, aren't they!! SHOWS HOW GREAT THEY ARE!

Not with you mate David Beckham was on loan at Preston once, he seemed to scratch a living in the game, He even has a plaque on the wall of fame! I saw it when we went to Preston a few weeks ago

I’d go for Terry, I actually think we will end with him anyway as the club kept him in some capacity and probably against Smith wishes this season.

I think the owners have set the correct structure now and as we know have deep pockets. Getting rid of Smith would cost the club the same as it spunked say on Jacob Bedeau, small change to them.

We need someone the players not only respect but also will have teeth and give it to them. I don’t think Smith is that person. I think fans have become blinkered about what he achieved at Brentford, making out he turned them into Brazil. We had our fingers burnt with Lambert after what he did at Norwich.

You could argue Smith has done his job now and being ruthless move him on at very little cost to the club and the structure.

I’m not buying this Smith villa fan, great football, great bloke, brilliant coach, fantastic Brentford stuff or this patience give him a few seasons rubbish.

Maybe ruthless but after the last 14 games regardless that its Bruce’s players he is stuck with I’m not convinced. I always thought it was a short term appointment anyway, a stop gap between Bruce and a longer term target.

Terry has admitted himself he’s years off being ready. Next...?

You are literally the only person who has used the phrase “turned Brentford into Brazil” and you use it in just about every single post you make.

I don’t think any of us group who say to give him time or patience have referenced him being a villa fan, certainly not as a reason for keeping him.

Terry is part of the current coaching staff which apparently do no coaching whatsoever and are responsible for the “shite” we put on the field every week. So why does he get a pass and Dean doesn’t? Or are you saying he’s just stealing a paycheck while offering nothing to the party? Don’t people on here slate that sort of behavior?

Again, real shame you missed out on the November period when we scored a hatful of goals and took 13 of a possible 15 points. In fact during that period of time, what was it 17 goals in 5 matches, I think you could finally use your “playing like Brazil” catchphrase you love to use so often.

Charlie Nicholas was covering the game for Sky. He said a few things about us, first our team is too old naming Whelan and Hutton as examples saying you can't fault their work rate but they have lost too much pace. He also said that it looked obvious that our defenders don't trust Kalinic. His point about McGinn baffled me a bit, but he said he always runs with his head down and misses the bigger picture leading to a poor shot at the end of a run.

Charlie Nicholas was covering the game for Sky. He said a few things about us, first our team is too old naming Whelan and Hutton as examples saying you can't fault their work rate but they have lost too much pace. He also said that it looked obvious that our defenders don't trust Kalinic. His point about McGinn baffled me a bit, but he said he always runs with his head down and misses the bigger picture leading to a poor shot at the end of a run.

Good comments. Everybody knows our team is too old. DS has said its too old, he wants to bring the average age down a lot. That's where we are.

Don't know about Kalinic. I agree about McGinn. Appreciate his energy, but he needs to up his wider game. Said the other day when he's in a shooting position it's as though there's a rush of blood to his head and he blasts wildly. Maybe he'll improve. At the moment I don't think he's a PL player.

Personally I think Kalinic has more reason to distrust the players in front of him than visa versa. Lost count of the amount of times he was passed the ball with a Baggies man rushing in on him. He'd probably like it if any of our full backs could stop a cross coming in rather than just standing 5 yards off and watching the attacker. But then he is a foreign keeper so according to British media law he must be shit I guess.

You are literally the only person who has used the phrase “turned Brentford into Brazil” and you use it in just about every single post you make.

I don’t think any of us group who say to give him time or patience have referenced him being a villa fan, certainly not as a reason for keeping him.

Terry is part of the current coaching staff which apparently do no coaching whatsoever and are responsible for the “shite” we put on the field every week. So why does he get a pass and Dean doesn’t? Or are you saying he’s just stealing a paycheck while offering nothing to the party? Don’t people on here slate that sort of behavior?

Again, real shame you missed out on the November period when we scored a hatful of goals and took 13 of a possible 15 points. In fact during that period of time, what was it 17 goals in 5 matches, I think you could finally use your “playing like Brazil” catchphrase you love to use so often.
Ahhhhhh that November period, how many games since then?? We are nearly in March now.

Smith is the manager not Terry, he quite rightly carries the can.

Gareth Barry is 37 and I thought he was arguably the best player on the pitch yesterday. We do lack pace throughout the team though

12. Every single one of which was played without Axel/Jack. If you don’t understand the significance of that you’re welcome to go back to my previous posts where I talk tactically about why that’s important.

Or better yet, goto YouTube and watch the Derby highlights, don’t even need to trouble yourself to watch the full match. Count the number of attacks on there which start with 1 of 2 things happening: 1) Axel walking the ball through the center of the pitch into the opponent half, forcing midfielders to step to him and opening up space to move out wide leading to a scoring chance. 2) Jack getting the ball in the center, turning and running forward through the center leading to players stepping towards him and space being created for the attack leading to a scoring chance.

You’re welcome to watch the other November games where you will see the very same 2 things happening in the build up to goals and chances.

You’re welcome to watch the 12 matches since those players have been out to count the number of times those things happen. Hint it’s pretty bloody rare.

Ok so you're not buying into Smith the Villa fan, great bloke, great football coach blah blah blah........but you are buying into the John Terry, played the game at the highest level, will therefore be a great HEAD coach, no experience whatsoever but everybody will respect him mantra......bit like Thierry.....great, can't wait. Until he loses a few and then he'll be rounded upon by the usual suspects within a few months and we can then get rid and have another go, especially as we now apparently have a structure in place to just hire and fire whenever we want. What a bloody circus!

If we dont have anyone who can come in to replace what Jack was doing, then surely we should have been trying to do something different. Its just the same line up (apart from the wingers) and the same formation week after week. I can understand sticking with it for 5 or 6 games but if its still not happening you have to shuffle things about to get the most out of what we have.
Mings is also bringing the ball out from the back now.