Match Thread: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough, Sat 16th March 2019, 3pm | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough, Sat 16th March 2019, 3pm

I think some of us are holding our breath. The remainder of the season has the potential to be one of those memories those of us around in the 70's cherish.
Long time since we've seen fluent, exciting, winning football consistently at Villa Park.

Given the last twenty years, I can't stop myself half expecting the wheels to fall off any minute. What ever the outcome, it looks like being another exciting ending to the season.

I will continue to watch in hope rather than expectation. VTID :utv:
I agree, I was so nervous during the second-half that we would concede one and then concede another With no real threat from them at all. I was so relieved when the third goal went in but realistically the game had been over an hour earlier. I’m surprised my heart actually holds out But honestly believe if we get into the play-offs we will walk them with what I’ve seen last couple of weeks. Do I believe in the Villa oh yeah but they don’t half make me nervous

Happy Villans again-long may it last. Heck didn't know SB had cancer too. Yes he does deserve respect. There will be the few that won't though. Its always the same

Bruce did not have cancer in the sense that we perceive it.
Let's get it right.
He had a melanoma that looked dodgy and had it removed.
Yes, worrying, but not like he was riddled, with secondaries.

(Advisory)
Have you totally checked your body lately?

I'm certain I can't be arsed to look, but the missus will no doubt spot anything.

I'm just chuffed that we won, easily and look like we can beat anyone in this league.

Sorry to sound like a bit of a downer on the day we break into the top 6 but I have to comment on your last sentence McP.

I do hope that Villa fans treat Bruce with some respect. Please don't forget that he was the bloke who turned around the toxic culture at our club, he got us to the play off final and gave us John McGinn. All of this whilst losing both parents and having cancer.

Please gentlemen, we don't live in Small Heath.

I'm sure fans will treat Bruce with dignity. We know what he went through in his personal life, particularly his parents, and skin cancer is a dangerous thing to have, which thankfully they seem to have caught in time.

It doesn't alter the fact I think his time here was a waste, for a number of reasons.

I think some of us are holding our breath. The remainder of the season has the potential to be one of those memories those of us around in the 70's cherish.
Long time since we've seen fluent, exciting, winning football consistently at Villa Park.

Given the last twenty years, I can't stop myself half expecting the wheels to fall off any minute. What ever the outcome, it looks like being another exciting ending to the season.

I will continue to watch in hope rather than expectation. VTID :utv:
I will look on with pride and what potential this team has for the future.
July we were a dead club with vultures circling to pick the best players on the cheap. Favorite ti go down.
A few weeks ago we were going nowhere with a new coach that so many said was out of his depth and needed to go.
Nah, dont live in hope m8, enjoy the shoots growing to a new and better future.
If not this season, which has already been exciting but next will see us going up under DS.

Bruce did not have cancer in the sense that we perceive it.
Let's get it right.
He had a melanoma that looked dodgy and had it removed.
Yes, worrying, but not like he was riddled, with secondaries.

(Advisory)
Have you totally checked your body lately?

I'm certain I can't be arsed to look, but the missus will no doubt spot anything.

I'm just chuffed that we won, easily and look like we can beat anyone in this league.
Fair clarification for those who didn't know, but doesn't change the overall impact given everything else going on and the associated worry that I assume it caused.

The latter point is spot on, it's something we should all pay more attention to.

Especially if we don't have such a nice missus PMSL

Well, wasn’t that just a pleasure this afternoon? 4th win on the bounce and the 4th 90 minute performance in the spin also. Against blues we made sure we competed throughout but today was like the Derby and Forest games - we were in full control throughout. It’s a pleasure to watch us at the moment - regardless of whether we make it to the playoffs I’d much prefer that than the Pulis play-for-a-draw anti-football every time! It was fantastic to see us winning and playing to increase the winning margin rather than settle.

Ratings:

Steer: 7 - once again a high rating for a keeper who had nothing to do BUT everything he needs to do he does well. Commands the box, wins punches, comes out when required - deserves huge credit for our defensive improvement.
Elmo: 7 - solid, supported the attack well.
Hause: 8 - couple of shaky moments where he conceded possession cheaply. More than made up for by his general dominance.
Mings: 9 - a colossus again. Outstanding defensively and outstanding with the ball at his feet. I don’t say this lightly, but he could be our new Laureen / Southgate / McGrath(?!) Sign at all costs.
Taylor: 7 Solid.
Whelan: 9 - outstanding. Always felt he’s undervalued but that was by far and away his best game for us. Won everything, superb passing - the Irish Pirlo! MOTM
McGinn: 9 - outstanding also and only narrowly pipped to MOTM by Whelan for me. Pure energy, desire and class. The way he turns and holds off players is a joy to watch.
Grealish: 8 - not as influential as recent games but still drags the opposition all over the shop (to the benefit of his midfield colleagues) and finds time to play killer passes all game.
Green: 7 - did ok, nearly scored him 6 but got the extra point as his endeavour led to the first goal (despite his initial lack of control costing us the throw in) and he worked like a trooper all match. Just a shame things tend to fall apart once the ball lands at his feet.
El Ghazi: 8 - best I’ve seen him live. If you could get this out of him every week we’d have some player on our hands.
Tammy: 7 - worked hard but nothing really came off. Almost too keen to score when he could’ve set up our third earlier in the second half.

Subs

Adomah: 7 - worked hard, nice to see him score.
Kodjia: 6 - poor touches, wasted a chance he would’ve buried two years ago, looks like the injuries have taken a toll that he won’t recover from.
Davies: 7 - lively.

Smith: 9 - had ‘Boro in the palm of his hand. They had no answer to how we played and we never relented, even after taking the lead. Worth giving credit also for how we utilised short corners / free-kicks rather than playing into Pulis’ hands. I’m not usually a fan of a short set-piece, but we’d clearly worked on them and had a plan rather than just playing short for the sake of it - i.e. we didn’t just play short because we didn’t fancy the aerial battle with no real plan, we’d clearly worked on set pieces to exploit a typical Pulis team of giants.

Delighted.

Super write up Mcgrath4Pope, and I like that you called whelan for MOTM. It’s great enjoying the whole Villa bonanza again, no matter where we end up, times are good right now. We have momentum, but the real test comes if we lose, can we maintain it after? I think we can...

He was outstanding wasn’t he Brownevillan? Great to see the Holte acknowledging his performance and roaring his name every time he took back control of the midfield today. Certainly hasn’t been a fan-favourite since he arrived but has shown his worth a few times this season for me - never more so than today.

He was outstanding wasn’t he Brownevillan? Great to see the Holte acknowledging his performance and roaring his name every time he took back control of the midfield today. Certainly hasn’t been a fan-favourite since he arrived but has shown his worth a few times this season for me - never more so than today.
He was superb against Derby and today just as good, if not slightly better. Of all the aging players in the current squad, he is making the best case for a contract extension right now. And I think he's dispelled the nonsense about him not being able to last a full match. In terms of fitness he reminds me of Sid Cowans at the same age.

Agreed - probably the only one of him, Jedinak, Elphick, Richards & Hutton that I’d consider offering a new deal to - but if we can line up someone younger who is as effective (or better) then that’s probably the way to go.

I'm sure fans will treat Bruce with dignity. We know what he went through in his personal life, particularly his parents, and skin cancer is a dangerous thing to have, which thankfully they seem to have caught in time.

It doesn't alter the fact I think his time here was a waste, for a number of reasons.

They booed Gareth Barry, they will booed Bruce too.

Unfortunately, some of our brethren are full of hate and will project it at anyone they can.

True but to me it’s about combination of players, the effect they have on each other. Hourihane also played well in that role on Wednesday but play the two together and you get a different dynamic. Dean has added quality to the squad which is running through the veins of the team lifting other around them. Mings, Hause at the back have added to Grealish, McGinn in midfield and Abraham up front and suddenly Whelan, Steer, Elmo, Anwar, Taylor are looking like different players. It also means we can afford young players like Green who have the energy and enthusiasm but are still learning their trade.

A great performance from minute one to minute 93. Completely dominated them throughout and they had no answers. I thought before the game that if we got the 1st we'd win at a canter, just like at theirs.

Everyone played well today. I even felt secure about elmo and Taylor, Taylor putting in his best performance in 18 months. Mings and Hause were superb again, dominant defensively and excellent on the ball which really helped us build from the back. Whelan had his best game for us, motm for sure. Mcginn and Grealish were a constant threat. How mcginn only cost 3m I'll never know. Green worked hard but attacking wise nothing seemed to quite come off for him. El Ghazi always looked dangerous and has shotten on toast. Took his goal well. Tammy worked hard against their giant defence. Deserved a goal but played a part in the 2nd with a dummy to mcginn.

They were possibly the tallest team I've ever seen at Villa park, Pulis definitely has a type doesn't he. 5 giants across the back, another 4 big men sitting deep in midfield and a big lump chasing hoofs up front. I think Pulis might be the only manager who would make me tear up my season ticket. A pleasure to put one over the little troll though. I'm sure he's fuming over his illustrious former neighbours doing him over yet again.

4th win on the bounce and back in the play offs. Can't say I was expecting that when Grealish returned but I'll take it. Jack's mere presence means the opposition have to always be thinking about him leaving space for everyone else. It just lets everyone else do their job rather than try to be the creator. You can't ignore the difference it makes having 2 centre halves who are dominant yet good on the ball. Hause and Mings have been brilliant signings. We look better now than at any other point this season. In the run we had shortly after Smith arrived we played some lovely stuff but were weak at the back. Now Jack is back the attack is clicking again but the defence looks solid as well. Still trying to tell myself we aren't going up as it's always the hope that kills you but I will say that should we hold this play off spot no team will want to play us should we carry on like this.

Well, wasn’t that just a pleasure this afternoon? 4th win on the bounce and the 4th 90 minute performance in the spin also. Against blues we made sure we competed throughout but today was like the Derby and Forest games - we were in full control throughout. It’s a pleasure to watch us at the moment - regardless of whether we make it to the playoffs I’d much prefer that than the Pulis play-for-a-draw anti-football every time! It was fantastic to see us winning and playing to increase the winning margin rather than settle.

Ratings:

Steer: 7 - once again a high rating for a keeper who had nothing to do BUT everything he needs to do he does well. Commands the box, wins punches, comes out when required - deserves huge credit for our defensive improvement.
Elmo: 7 - solid, supported the attack well.
Hause: 8 - couple of shaky moments where he conceded possession cheaply. More than made up for by his general dominance.
Mings: 9 - a colossus again. Outstanding defensively and outstanding with the ball at his feet. I don’t say this lightly, but he could be our new Laureen / Southgate / McGrath(?!) Sign at all costs.
Taylor: 7 Solid.
Whelan: 9 - outstanding. Always felt he’s undervalued but that was by far and away his best game for us. Won everything, superb passing - the Irish Pirlo! MOTM
McGinn: 9 - outstanding also and only narrowly pipped to MOTM by Whelan for me. Pure energy, desire and class. The way he turns and holds off players is a joy to watch.
Grealish: 8 - not as influential as recent games but still drags the opposition all over the shop (to the benefit of his midfield colleagues) and finds time to play killer passes all game.
Green: 7 - did ok, nearly scored him 6 but got the extra point as his endeavour led to the first goal (despite his initial lack of control costing us the throw in) and he worked like a trooper all match. Just a shame things tend to fall apart once the ball lands at his feet.
El Ghazi: 8 - best I’ve seen him live. If you could get this out of him every week we’d have some player on our hands.
Tammy: 7 - worked hard but nothing really came off. Almost too keen to score when he could’ve set up our third earlier in the second half.

Subs

Adomah: 7 - worked hard, nice to see him score.
Kodjia: 6 - poor touches, wasted a chance he would’ve buried two years ago, looks like the injuries have taken a toll that he won’t recover from.
Davies: 7 - lively.

Smith: 9 - had ‘Boro in the palm of his hand. They had no answer to how we played and we never relented, even after taking the lead. Worth giving credit also for how we utilised short corners / free-kicks rather than playing into Pulis’ hands. I’m not usually a fan of a short set-piece, but we’d clearly worked on them and had a plan rather than just playing short for the sake of it - i.e. we didn’t just play short because we didn’t fancy the aerial battle with no real plan, we’d clearly worked on set pieces to exploit a typical Pulis team of giants.

Delighted.

Excellent ratings.

What an easy game for us. As easy as up there. Total dominance start to finish.

I cannot get my head around anyone wanting Pulis as our manager and there were a few posts over time suggesting it.

I would seriously consider not going if he was our manager .
7 mins in I first noticed the time wasting. Complete negative set up, tactics and philosophy. I cannot stand the bloke.

Really enjoyed the game but agree with Mc4pope. Green is a weak link. Flatters to deceive. Rarely beats his man convincingly and crossing/end product is poor. Never really rated him from the off but happy with Deano to persevere with one of our own rather than a Bolasie type loan. But there will a time when a decision has to be made.

That was the best we've played at home in many a blue moon, took me back to the days when Villa Park was a fortress and we dominated from start to finish.

It really was like watching the Villa of old , we haven't seen this for what 20 years ?