Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

I agree he's isolated but half of that is because he's unable to hold the ball up and bring others into play.... Which is worrying as I thought that's what he was signed for.

It's too early to write him off but you can only judge him on his 2 performances to date and he's been useless.

Tammy has a better touch based on what we've seen so far. And hes a predator and a goalscorer too.

Hard to disagree.

Everytime today I thought Wesley had cracked it he then looked like he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Wesley doesn't seem to fit the style of play at all does he, a big lumbering lump in a side that wants to pass and move and play intricate football.
I've read this shite about we don't create enough for him about our last half a dozen strikers when they don't score. Good strikers score from nothing or next to nothing

I watched a video of him when we bought him and couldn't see why we went for him at the time and I still can't - he looks too slow for this league IMO.

A

Another defeat...entirely possible.....
and confidence already fragile will evaporate. Then serious questions will be asked about smiths hotchpotch of buys...most of whom dont even have PL experience. And don't compare us to wolves....their players came from champions league.
Never mentioned Wolves. They came up as champions, we scraped up from fifth place with a team that was no where near as good as Wolves in the first place, never mind the additions.
A defeat is possible against anyone in this division. Everton got a draw away at Crystal Palace and a win today home to Watford. Four points yes but from teams that we would expect to be in with a shout against. We arent playing like a team with fragile confidence, we just need a bit of luck to launch our season.

IMHO , it's far too early to be judging any of the players yet. Some adapt quicker and some don't.

Probably the one who looked most off the pace today was Super Jack , so it's not just the new signings who are having to adapt.

I am having trouble adapting as well ......... to the higher quality of rubbish refs.

And yet Den, with six credited key passes, Grealish will be irked he didn't walk away with at least one assist even though he was no where nears last season's best.

We need the rub of the green to get firing and I still can't believe we didn't take at least a point.

Ah ..... it's the hope that gets me. Get all excited and built up for the game, then 42 seconds in facing an uphill battle. Dont want panic kicking in but wouldn't want to wait too much longer for a few points

Let's face it, even the more optimistic amongst us acknowledge there is a shed load of improvement needed, I just feel I'm seeing enough to know it'll click eventually and goal difference or a point come the end of the year is the only sensible aim given how much catch up we need to do.

We'll play far worse that Spurs and Bournemouth and take points. We'll play far better as the season goes and still have our arses handed to us.

Yeah, I'm still torn on whether we should change the fullback slots now, but I'd more imagine El Ghazi's time as a starter is over as Jota (today) did far more for me. Although EG did have 3 shots that I can't remember lol

Said a few times I don't have a gauge for how these players will be at this level, because most don't have the experience of the PL for us to truly know.

There are a few of our existing player who I am surprised are still here, I feel they are nowhere near PL level, but at this stage of the season, just two games in, is it fair to name players and judge? Nah. But I think a few weren't really always champ quality let alone PL

Others need to step up to their hype.

Others are new, settling and hopefully will make impacts real soon.

It was two silly mistakes that gave Bournemouth their comfortable league. They had a couple of other decent chances they should have converted. Plus Heaton made a few good saves.

We will see. Next 3-4 games will shape the season, if we don't start winning, confidence will go and no doubt the boo boys will start, it's what they seem to enjoy doing.

I think what disappoints me most is that it was pretty clear, well to me anyway that SJM and Jack would cut it in the PL.
We went out and bought a new team bar those two, now only to see players like Taylor and Elmo as the first choice, it's really deflated me,

Mingels partnership looks good midfield looks a bit lightweight but all comfortable with the ball at their feet and the front three don't look up to it at the moment,
I'm glad Wesley is playing because if that was Davis playing like that he'd be ripped a new one on here. Wesley will get leeway as he's Brazilian and we've paid a lot of money for him so he must be good

if we don't start winning, confidence will go and no doubt the boo boys will start, it's what they seem to enjoy doing.

And that is the worst thing that can happen. As I said, early losses don’t cause relegation, but negativity from the fans certainly does.

Really hope the fans stay positive no matter what and support the players. Otherwise we may as well pack it in

Agreed Yank, negativity within the squad as well was a real problem when we were relegated. Hopefully this lot can keep their heads up and push on, no matter how bumpy a start to the season we/they get.