Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

We can’t expect to win games at this level if we make stupid mistakes as we did for their goals. Hopefully lessons will be learned sooner rather than later.

Positives today, again the centre backs were decent apart from being asleep for the penalty. Luiz looked very good after a shaky start and a great goal. McGinn put plenty of effort in.

Negatives, the left side again offered very little as El Ghazi was very quiet again and Taylor offers nothing going forward even if his defending was ok. I don’t know if Grealish is trying too hard or is doing too many late night training sessions but he struggled. Wesley did a couple of decent runs and should have an assist if Trezeguet had showed some composure at the end of the first half, but he struggled against two centre backs. I think he needs a bit of support.

It’s too early to get downbeat but we need to cut out the stupid errors and be far more clinical when the chances come, as this league is ruthless. There will be 7 or 8, at least, in the relegation mix. Realistically we will probably be one, but we have the talent to finish ahead of at least 3 of them if we apply ourselves and learn our lessons quickly.

Until Dougie hit that wonder strike we never looked like scoring, far too slow and predictable in our build up. Lets be honest, Bournemouth sat back and let us come on to them as they had a 2 goal lead. So I'm not buying any of this we deserved to win nonsense

Sorry GGS to say we never looked like scoring until Luiz scored....you were watching a different game to me. McGinn had a great chance, Wesley created a chance for Trezeguet I think it was, right at the end of the first half, Taylor had a very good chance before we scored.....that's three off the top of my head without really having to think about it, sure there were a few others. Thought some of our build up play was decent at times and not always slow and predictable. Agree with your point about Bournemouth sitting deep but we did create chances both first half and second.

Felt sorry for Wesley for 2nd week running.
Isolated too often .

Criticise all you like but we have not created much for him .

A
There are obviously a few issues early season but I really think that we arent having the rub of the green at the moment. We will be ok when it settles down, these things even out.
Three points against Everton Friday and it will all look better.
Another defeat...entirely possible.....
and confidence already fragile will evaporate. Then serious questions will be asked about smiths hotchpotch of buys...most of whom dont even have PL experience. And don't compare us to wolves....their players came from champions league level.

Isolated too often .

He was getting a slating on WM, unfairly. We've not created him one decent opportunity, cross or otherwise in either game. He did very well to set up Trezeguet though and his hold up play is excellent. McGinn and Jack need to get closer to him I think.

We're not going to throw the game away after 15 mins every week, so it's still hard to judge where we are.

Who knows how it would have panned out today otherwise.

The main thing next week is not to stupidly concede early.

A

and confidence already fragile will evaporate. Then serious questions will be asked about smiths hotchpotch of buys...most of whom dont even have PL experience. And don't compare us to wolves....their players came from champions league level.
Did they?

Really?

All of them?

Ignoring the fact their players had 12 months or more to settle in?

Whereas our hotchpotch dominated the game https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...l-not-enough-against-bournemouth-match-stats/

Isolated too often .

I agree he's isolated but half of that is because he's unable to hold the ball up and bring others into play.... Which is worrying as I thought that's what he was signed for.

It's too early to write him off but you can only judge him on his 2 performances to date and he's been useless.

Tammy has a better touch based on what we've seen so far. And hes a predator and a goalscorer too.

Let's not kid ourselves. We had the play and pressure because Bournemouth could afford to let us. 2 nil up away. They were trying to manage the game and were still a threat. And they did it quite well.

2 games in and as per my transfer thread posts during the window I'm still concerned. Nothing has changed .

In fact there are now more questions. Such as Grealish and McGinn and them being in no mans land. When we attack they are not in the box enough leaving Wesley to his own devices. When we have the ball on the edge of our box they are too far forward leaving Luiz to his own devices. And if we need a goal and the answer is kid with no experience (Davis) or a player who could not get a game last season in the EFL (Kodjia) then we have dropped a bollock not getting a forward in. That is not good in this league I'm afraid.

Gulp.
Totally agree. Wait till everton see those lowlights. A hotchpotch of players bought in, yet little PL experience. No back up for Wesley. ..who won't score many anyway. Smith was like a kid in a sweet shop during the summer. We will do well to stay up.

Wesley doesn't seem to fit the style of play at all does he, a big lumbering lump in a side that wants to pass and move and play intricate football.
I've read this shite about we don't create enough for him about our last half a dozen strikers when they don't score. Good strikers score from nothing or next to nothing

A

Wesley scored twice for Bruges in Champions League last year, Nakamba played those champs league matches as well. Oh and Engels played 5 champions league matches for Olympiakos. El Ghazi played champions league for Ajax.

FYI -

Everton - two games - four points.

Five shots on target - one goal scored.

Few other things from today.

Wesley 2 shots, 1 on target.

Grealish most key passes.

McGinn most efforts overall and on target.

The jury is still out, but this is massive Benteke nostalgia so far.