Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

Wouldnt be surprised to see Deano rotate the full backs. probably chose the more defensive options last week as he knew it was going to be backs against the wall for long periods. The rest will probably be the same.
All very well people calling this a must win or must not lose (ridiculous IMO). I'm pretty sure Bournemouth will be targeting this as a game to get points from as well, especially after they failed to beat Sheffied Utd at home last week. Not sure their fans will be in meltdown if they only have 1 point after 2 matches though.

Same line up, but if up to fitness etc would put Luiz in place of Hourihane.
Buying a player for that amount from Man city who have insisted on a buy back clause and getting player of the tournament in toulon suggests to me he must be pretty decent and therefore gets my vote ahead of Connor in that position.

El ghazi stays in . Just. Unless we can play Jota and Trez in the same team?

Na'h we're at home, on the front foot, and will hopefully be winning our fair share of corners and free kicks.

Why would you drop Hourihane?

Bring Luiz or Nakamba in when we're away from home and in need of that extra protection

Lots of people underestimating Bournemouth; know little about them other than they clearly didn’t consider Tyrone among their best defenders.

Have predicted a defeat as likely to take five or six weeks for this group to gel and for the new lads to fully understand and express deano’s playing style.

If we don’t get anything, all need to get a grip and not overreact.

UTFV

I'm looking forward to this but not with unrealistic expectations. A good performance with new players showing their worth and a loud, supportive Villa crowd will get my spine tingling. Lessons will have been learned from the Spurs game and I expect to see a few tweaks to improve understanding and fluency.
There's no underestimating Bournemouth's ability but Villa players and management will want to make a statement.
Bring it on. UTV!

Same line up, but if up to fitness etc would put Luiz in place of Hourihane.
Buying a player for that amount from Man city who have insisted on a buy back clause and getting player of the tournament in toulon suggests to me he must be pretty decent and therefore gets my vote ahead of Connor in that position.

El ghazi stays in . Just. Unless we can play Jota and Trez in the same team?
I'd go for Jota and Trez, give el Ghazi a chance to make up for that embarrassing performance against spurs off the bench.

I can't really judge Jota on that performance as he came on when our backs were to the wall. Possibly Lansbury may have been a better choice. I want to see him when we're on the front foot or when the game's evenly balanced and see what contribution he makes then.

It's interesting that Jota was singled out in the RO'K interview. The people behind the scenes seem to think he's something really special.

I'm still trying to stop myself from calling him Joe-ta.

Why would you drop Taylor after his best performance in a Villa shirt? Totally demotivating. Players confidence and belief is hugely important. Taggart (thanks McP) will have to bide his time and take his chance when Taylor is found guilty.
He was caught out of position a lot and didn't offer anything outside of our own box.

He was caught out of position a lot and didn't offer anything outside of our own box.

Didn't see him caught out of position that much. Saw the defence playing very narrow and allowing Spurs possession out wide but closing it down quickly. I would imagine that was under instruction.

Nobody offered much outside our box in the second half and that was the big reason Spurs passed us to submission. Full backs can't get forward if those in front of them can't keep the ball.

Thought Taylor's positioning was spot on. Blocked a number of attempted crosses. Didn't get forwards much because we were concentrating on defence. For a similar reason El Ghazi didn't have many chances to shine.

I've not got much love for Taylor as he's a total chocolate teapot in the opposition half like Elmo but that's likely to be more of an issue last season than this you'd think. If he's a better defender than we will have seen last season as we were doing less of it then perhaps it's worth giving him a few games to see how he does when we're more likely to be under the cosh more often.

Lots of people underestimating Bournemouth; know little about them other than they clearly didn’t consider Tyrone among their best defenders.

Have predicted a defeat as likely to take five or six weeks for this group to gel and for the new lads to fully understand and express deano’s playing style.

If we don’t get anything, all need to get a grip and not overreact.

UTFV

Have to agree, they have survived several years with some respectable finishes, I can’t recall them going down to the wire to survive or pulling off any miracles.

It’ll be a tough game, they’re not unbeatable but they are a handful going forward with their strong and pacey strike force.

I went for a score draw as a (hopefully) worst case result.

Last edited: