Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm

I wanted whelan out a while back , this is why I’m not a football manager ,

Whelan has put us all in our places none more so than me I didnt even want him within 50 miles of the stadium or training ground.

Re: Green I think he's getting far more flack than he deserves. Final ball yes slate him all day and beating his man is 50/50 but other than those two (crucial) attacking attributes he did as much as Uncle would have.

We've two glaring problems LB and RW - one can improve and the other is playing his best football and it still isnt good enough.

We are showing what we are capable of, second half was not so good but 5 wins with 7 games left puts us in a great position.

Didn't see the match. Did note the b.mail scored Taylor an 8 and said how much he'd improved recently. As DS isn't an idiot I presume he thinks something along the same lines.

The good thing with Green is that he will be given time.

I have never rated him. Still unconvinced but there are too many examples of the club discarding players too early in the past . He needs an extended period but like I say I have my doubts .

Didn't see the match. Did note the b.mail scored Taylor an 8 and said how much he'd improved recently. As DS isn't an idiot I presume he thinks something along the same lines.

Taylor did fine today. In fact, he made one or two very important tackles/interceptions in key areas. I would say the Mail have called it fairly. He does get sucked inside quite a bit and leaves acres of space and himself a lot to do a bit too often for me.

Agree with 57 that Axel's return would see Hause moved to LB, but the way Hause and Mings are playing, it might be counter-productive to break up that particular partnership.

The good thing with Green is that he will be given time.

I have never rated him. Still unconvinced but there are too many examples of the club discarding players too early in the past . He needs an extended period but like I say I have my doubts .
Jack has blown hot and cold before now. Let's be patient and see how he progresses. We will need our youngsters to come through whichever league we end up in.

I'm sure that the free kick that Steer was wrong footed for took a deflection. Smith was blaming Steer for a mistake
Shortly before that freekick Blackburn had a shot that (on TV replays) looked like Steer actually got a touch on it to send it wide. Ref gave a goal kick, but it looked on the replay like Steer made a brilliant save (and his initial reaction looked like he was quite pleased with himself too). Anyone else see that?

Jack has blown hot and cold before now. Let's be patient and see how he progresses. We will need our youngsters to come through whichever league we end up in.
I think Grealish was trying too hard to be clever at times because he knew Southgate was there...

He was OK mate but what I call a nothing player, timid not very good at defending and rarely does anything of note going forward. Mings covers him well if I'm honest.

If he was an 8 Whelan was and 11 lets put it that way.

Shortly before that freekick Blackburn had a shot that (on TV replays) looked like Steer actually got a touch on it to send it wide. Ref gave a goal kick, but it looked on the replay like Steer made a brilliant save (and his initial reaction looked like he was quite pleased with himself too). Anyone else see that?

Do you mean when their bloke got the other side of Hause and was clean through? I never thought he touched it there was a big ironic cheer from the fans which suggested he fluffed the finish.

I think Grealish was trying too hard to be clever at times because he knew Southgate was there...

I actually thought he was injured he looked so disinterested, thought it was his least effective game since he came back. seemed to be trying to look all chilled I think .

If you believe some, it's always the keeper's fault mate. Good job it wasn't Nyland, or one of OUR fans may have run on the pitch and took a swing at him :ROFLMAO:

Let's be honest it was his fault, he should have thrown his cap on it , even Deano said it was a mistake (politely)

Let's be honest it was his fault, he should have thrown his cap on it , even Deano said it was a mistake (politely)

I totally agree 57, but my point was, plenty seem to blame the keeper all the time.

I was shocked when they scored - I couldn't believe he hadn't caught it. The difference between this, for instance, and earlier in the season is that the goalkeeping error turned out not to have mattered in the end.

For the record, I think Steer has done just fine. There is no question he looks more commanding than Nyland or Kalinic, although I reckon I could play in goal if I had Mings and Hause in front of me :wahey:

Mind you, Steer's distribution was piss-poor today - he looked like he'd been watching Guzan videos and taking tips from them.

He was OK mate but what I call a nothing player, timid not very good at defending and rarely does anything of note going forward. Mings covers him well if I'm honest.

If he was an 8 Whelan was and 11 lets put it that way.

I think Whelan may have scored an 11 today whatever anyone else was rated. He may turn like an oil tanker, but his energy was incredible and he was always showing for the ball and trying to make things happen. Fair play - I had him out the door before Christmas.

I totally agree 57, but my point was, plenty seem to blame the keeper all the time.

I was shocked when they scored - I couldn't believe he hadn't caught it. The difference between this, for instance, and earlier in the season is that the goalkeeping error turned out not to have mattered in the end.

For the record, I think Steer has done just fine. There is no question he looks more commanding than Nyland or Kalinic, although I reckon I could play in goal if I had Mings and Hause in front of me :wahey:

Mind you, Steer's distribution was piss-poor today - he looked like he'd been watching Guzan videos and taking tips from them.

True it didn't matter, like the one at Forest and almost Stoke but one day it will matter, he hasn't had a save to make in the last 6 games except for the ones he let in and they were all "could have done better"
He's done OK and better than Nyland , I thought Kalinic was ok until the Albion bloke kicked him in the head and he let two soft goals in.
We only concede soft goals thinking about it