Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm

I think we have the toughest run in, but win those games and we will have the momentum for the play offs.

Phew glad to get that across the line , I've just got back I assume Grealish was only half ft as he didn't seem up for it?

Well we desperately tried to make it as hard for ourselves as possible but still got a much needed 3 points.

1st half was excellent and we deserved to go in 3 or 4 up probably. 2nd we just went off the boil. Grealish looked tired and so went or extra bit of sparkle. Difference now is that the defence is so much better. Mings and Hause won everything that came near them and it took a goalie cock up for them to score.

Don't want to moan too much but there were 2 negatives that can be improved. Firstly Taylor is painfully inadequate. He's really playing at his best to be fair but he's just not good enough. As soon as we're able to bring Axel back and shift Hause to left back we've got to do it. Second Greens final ball is too often terrible. Good things he's only young and can work on it.

Vital win, 5 in a row and a tough game next week. All we can do is win as many as we can. If we do manage to get top 6 I'd fancy us over any side in there.

Well the first half an hour was the best football we have played for ages , but we tried to be too clever at times and should really have buried the game .

Clearly couldn't keep that tempo up though and after the second got sloppy and looked knackered . Poor goal to concede but to be fair although they had a lot of the ball , they didn't work Steer too much.

I don't suppose we can win every game 3 or 4 nil and it's getting to the stage where 3 points is all that matters.

After a couple of home games where the fans could relax through the second half, this was the Villa that we love. Should have been 3 up at half time but then look knackered and could have ended up giving Blackburn an undeserved draw. Hopefully we will play better next week, but the main thing today was the 3 points given other results. UTV

To be honest the way we dominated that first 25 was a bit embarrassing. I actually felt sorry for the Blackburn fans travelling all that way to have a game like that to watch and I thought we were looking at 6 or 7 nil.

But they got a foot hold and any Mowbray side plays decent stuff.

Having said that until we got really sloppy after we scored the second they were not threatening really.

So tense last 20 because of the knowledge of results elsewhere . Biggest cheer I have ever heard for a midfielder running cross field to the corner flag !.

Still need to persevere but Green is being carried by the team . If we were struggling he would be getting pelters. His end product is poor and if our attacks breakdown it's normally when he is involved. Haven't seen anything different from before he went on loan .

Mings and Whelan :bow:

First twenty odd minutes was the best I've seen from a Villa side for many a year. Fantastic stuff. Only disappointment was not taking advantage of our superiority which led to a bit of a nail biting finish! After saying that despite not being as fluent second half I think we were superb defensively. Kept our shape really well and restricted them to the odd attempt. This for me is key to our recent form, at last we don't look like conceding many but always look as though we can score a few going forward. And to top it off M'bro have just lost their fourth on the spin and Norwich will clearly be on the beach when we play them last game of the season...:wahey:

Should have been home and dry long before they had a sniff. Superb first half hour then got a bit jittery. Ironic that Mings played superbly again yet nearly cost us the game with two errors. Not sure we can blame the keeper - need to watch the highlights as it maybe moved/deflected. Generally I thought he was OK.

I'm sure that the free kick that Steer was wrong footed for took a deflection. Smith was blaming Steer for a mistake

Have to say Whelan was the best of our midfielders today Put the Supers well in the shade.
The jury is still out on Steer for me, hasn't had much to do but what he had to do today he fecked up big time.
Should have been cruising 4 up at HT but we ended up hanging on, far to casual at times. For me lets be ruthless get the goals then showboat, we were showboating before we'd sealed the game.

It should have been another easy win but we made very hard work of finishing them off.
Looking forward to getting Axle back and getting rid of Taylor as he's the weak link, he might be ok for some but Hause is better as simple as that.

First half an absolute delight to watch, should’ve been 4 up at least. Once they scored that free kick it gave us the jitters, haven’t watched any highlights but looked like it may have taken a deflection or swerved as steer was wrong footed.

Whelan again was brilliant, not sure where this resurgence has come from but he’s playing great. Mings once again was colossal, he’s just simply great. Andre Green, great on the ball but he’s end product was shocking today, an easy problem to iron out with good coaching so no need to write him off.

Pretty sure that was the best weather we’ve had at home all season and nice to see the place full, could still see a lot of people outside a good 10-15 minutes after kick off, I dunno whether they were all quite late or couldn’t get tickets.