Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 30th March, 3pm

Man C had some good periods, like when Franny Lee and Mike Summerbee played for them. Ownership problems held them back a bit. They may have been second best to Man U a lot of the time but it didn't get them down.

Never regarded Everton as being in the same class as us. Being second best to Liverpool somehow made them a sour-faced lot. Their fans are deluded about how big a club they are, maybe to compensate. Moyes did a good job on them with limited resources but never had any real thanks or credit.

He is a first team player on first team wages at a huge club trying to get back to the premier league. He should have scrutiny as much as any player. It's a tough cut throat business football even for the youth.

I think that 'first team wages' is as subjective as it gets. The kid couldnt be on more than 20,000 and I'd be shocked if he was getting that. We're not talking about Lansbury and Jedinak on 40,000+

It is cut throat and we need to be that if we want to get back to the top.

Of course every player is up for scrutiny but sometimes you have to underscore a comment with reality too.

I think that 'first team wages' is as subjective as it gets. The kid couldnt be on more than 20,000 and I'd be shocked if he was getting that. We're not talking about Lansbury and Jedinak on 40,000+

It is cut throat and we need to be that if we want to get back to the top.

Of course every player is up for scrutiny but sometimes you have to underscore a comment with reality too.

Wise words as usual CDX

I don't know, I have always considered us, Everton and Man City as similar stature of clubs. The odd period of real success, followed by about 20 seasons of alrightness, and throw in the odd plummet every so often.

Lets face it, we had the chance to be where they are now. They chose to buy Wisely, we chose to buy Heskey !

Good luck to em I say
Their current position( Man City) is nothing to do with buying wisely and everything to do with hugely rich foreign owners buying the club before FFPkicked in. But in general I would agree with your comments.

Having just finished reading the book written by "He who walks on water" he talks about how when he was manager at Stoke in the third tier they were in the company of Northampton, Macclesfield, Oldham, Colchester, Walsall and....... Manchester City!!
Many tend to forget that Citeh were at best an average top flight side until their 'sugar daddy' came along with all of his petrodollars.
In football today, money talks and if you can buy the best players in the world, irrespective of the fee and wages, then you will succeed and win things.
Spot on. Why Doug didn't have the nous to bring in serious money is a mystery. Ellis understood the finances of football but his ego led us unable to become a consistent member of the big boys club. Then randy had the cash but not the know how. Hopefully now our new owners have the cash and the know how. Surely recent attendances indicate that even a reasonable top flight team will need a minimum .50000 stadium. Aston Villa are a true giant. Ffp is the fly in the ointmen.