Match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Lincoln City

Was at work today so was only able to make fleeting checks. Back to the car thinking we had won, so a bit gutted with the draw. However, it’s an away point, and the old adage is it’s always a point gained. Free hit against Ipswich next week and onward to the Gills and fatty Evans. UTI

Is anyone else getting near a ban ?
Morrell 5
Connolly 3
Shackell 3
Toffolo 3
Andrade 2
O'Connor 2

With the cut-off being the 19th league game, these are the only players who can pick up a suspension before it resets to a two-game ban for 10 yellows (by the 37th league game).

Got to within five minutes of the ground to hear on local radio it had been postponed!!

Still, good to see Imps winning

My wife reminded me that it's the second week running I've "attended" a postponed game in consecutive weeks, after hearing about last week's postponement while on the train to Lincoln. Took the dog out for a walk to the pub, but couldn't get a signal on my mob, so didn't know we'd ended up drawing. But we didn't lose

Worryingly unprofessional compared to the Cowley years. Under DC we would have been holding the ball near their corner flags from the 85th minute onwards. Under MA the instruction semed to be to still hit them on the break and get a second goal, even when we were only just hanging on.

We really lack on field leaders in my view, despite Shacks and Eardley's experience.

Worryingly unprofessional compared to the Cowley years. Under DC we would have been holding the ball near their corner flags from the 85th minute onwards. Under MA the instruction semed to be to still hit them on the break and get a second goal, even when we were only just hanging on.

We really lack on field leaders in my view, despite Shacks and Eardley's experience.

Completely agree, very concerning when the message in the last few minutes isn’t to hold onto the ball and do everything possible to ensure they don’t get a sight of goal.

Coming to terms with the fact that the Cowleys were a different gravy in their approach to game management, which is reflected by their impact at Huddersfield already.

Completely agree, very concerning when the message in the last few minutes isn’t to hold onto the ball and do everything possible to ensure they don’t get a sight of goal.

Coming to terms with the fact that the Cowleys were a different gravy in their approach to game management, which is reflected by their impact at Huddersfield already.

yes this was what I was getting at before.

I am sure we have a good manager now however he is and never will be the Cowley’s. Today is the situation when we missed their brand of game management.

We do need to move on but I can see it with a completely different starting 11 from now.

Success this year is staying up

No homework as usual.
Wouldn't get a job in my chip shop....taxpayers filling his wallet monthly!

i think he job satisfaction is well down from the previous years and it shows. Perhaps it’s time for him to move into bbc radio Leeds so he can regain his radio spark. In previous years he was excellent but now it sounds like he is only there because he has to be

That was a bit deflating at the end but overall showed progression of sorts at the back. For the first time in a while I didn’t feel particularly threatened defensively and thought we had it under control for 90 minutes. Until the added time.

Vickers pulled off some very good saves to keep us in it, but nothing more than I’d expect at this level. A solid performance and probably my man of the match.

We have been susceptible defensively to the better quality in this division, or as my brother put it more succinctly “We’ve been shit at the back for a lot of games this season.” That said, Wimbledon weren’t that better quality and it was a soft goal to concede with pretty basic defensive errors. Individually with Shacks, Eardley and Toffs, most would say we have a pretty decent back line, but that is currently delivering less than the sum of it’s parts.

Our goal was a decent effort, nicely worked quickly from back to front with a tidy finish from Payne at the near post. I suspect we’d have faced more resistance from the teams in the top half of the table.

We need to be more savvy in our first third, and like I said, I thought we were in the most part. I’ve no doubt that MApp is addressing the issue and it was generally better.

We could have done with a win, particularly against opposition like today. I hate the cliche the league table doesn’t lie, but there’s no better representation of the truth. We’re still in a massive transitional phase, I can see the incremental improvements in the process and I have full confidence in MApp delivering what’s required this season

Last edited:

I clearly remember the Cowleys being criticised for not going for another goal but instead trying to keep it in the corner. Usually after we conceded a late goal. Stevenage, Port Vale and Mansfield come my mind, although obviously not to others! Although this may not fit your argument very conveniently.

Why won’t we strengthen in January aswell? Clive and the proactive board in place will not of hired MAPP and tied his hands behind his back, we will fine.