Match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Lincoln City

A lot of the late goals last season were worldies - at least Vale and both Stevenage off the top of my head. Generally game management was one of the Cowleys' chief attributes.

Mike, I am genuinely sorry for being a pedant, but we had a serious issue last season in leaking late goals at home and in some cases away, late on. That cost us several wins.

One case in point when we were 2-0 up with under 10 mins to go.

You're quite right about that.

Mansfield (h), Bury (a), Port Vale (h), Swindon (a - admittedly with 9 men), Stevenage (h) were all games where late goals conceded meant dropped points.

Doncaster this season, too.

Sometimes the facts don't coincide with the perception, which is ironic considering what we're talking about.

Last edited:
And did he ask about the half-time sub, Grant going off? Apologies to him if he did and I missed it, but a basic question to ask, injury or tactical etc.
didn`t replay the post match chat yet,but i thought i heard him asking MA if he needed salt and vinegar on his chips

And did he ask about the half-time sub, Grant going off? Apologies to him if he did and I missed it, but a basic question to ask, injury or tactical etc.

Grant had a shocker first half and oftentimes was losing possession,
(playing wide left in front of Toffs.)
Penetration down the right via NE/bruno/Tyler was decent and we opened them up on a few occasions.

Wasn`t surprised at ht when Grant didn`t appear for the second half,he just wasn`t delivering and was hooked.

I must check that post match interview.

checked the post match and no question regarding Grant in that interview.
Having attended the game i can testify that JG was pretty poor first half and it was no surprise he was hooked at HT..................no messing with MA.

interview sub standard as usual..........do your homework or step down and let Mark Hone have a go, at least he shows some interest in the job.
Thommo holding that programme together............thank goodness
MA will continue to keep it short and sweet on the interviews,he has a big job on his hands and smoke and mirrors is not his game.

Last edited:
checked the post match and no question regarding Grant in that interview.
Having attended the game i can testify that JG was pretty poor first half and it was no surprise he was hooked at HT..................no messing with MA.

interview sub standard as usual..........do your homework or step down and let Mark Hone have a go, at least he shows some interest in the job.
Thommo holding that programme together............thank goodness
MA will continue to keep it short and sweet on the interviews,he has a big job on his hands and smoke and mirrors is not his game.

Quite an interesting one about Grant as MH in commentary said it must have been an injury as he was outstanding first half.

There is something about Grant that is likeable and a talented boy, but I am also starting to see comments made by Luton and Mansfield fans about his work ethic and attitude when the going gets tough.

I'm a little reluctant to look too much into conceding late goals at the minute for no other reason than we've seen the improvement in sides as we've tried to soak up pressure.

NL - Easy, no-one was good enough (did we even concede many late winners or equalisers when sitting back?)

L2 - Defended entries into the box pretty well but players could ping one in from 25 yards (Stevenage, Vale...)

L1 - We haven't conceded that many late goals at the minute anyway but with the bigger jump in attacking players, you're liable to be conceding from the two types of goals at Posh (edge of the box and individual quality) or Doncaster (a quick break, admittedly due to us losing the ball). L1 attackers will find a way. I don't think it's as simple as just sitting back in this league. Teams seem to build up ahead of steam much quicker and more intensely.

I've not seen as many games as others under MA I suspect, but it feels like you can see what he's trying to do. There seems a plan. We haven't always been able to say that about previous managers.

Gut feeling is that MA views 1-0 leads as further chances to counter teams rather than sit back. He'll know L1 better than us and probably thinks that seeing out games at this level is difficult.

Look at Portsmouth. I think I read they've conceded injury time (or late) goals in most of their last 6 or 7 games and dropped points because of sitting back and trying to soak up pressure.

Quite an interesting one about Grant as MH in commentary said it must have been an injury as he was outstanding first half.

There is something about Grant that is likeable and a talented boy, but I am also starting to see comments made by Luton and Mansfield fans about his work ethic and attitude when the going gets tough.

i`m a bit shocked if that was his comment on the radio,MH is entitled to his comments like the rest of us but from our position on the opposite side of the pitch,(near dugouts) he was constantly losing possession and from early on i felt he was for the hook.
The lad might have been injured but i don`t have all the facts.(speedy recovery if injured)
As you say the lad has talent but to me not really delivered in red and white other than odd glimpses in games and he is more effective when used centrally......................imo.

The 2 quotes that do accurately sum up the afternoon came from MA and Toffs.
"should have been out of sight by half time."........MA
"Outstanding in the first half"......Toffs ......(maybe not for the whole half but certainly in patches)

Last edited:
Gut feeling is that MA views 1-0 leads as further chances to counter teams rather than sit back. He'll know L1 better than us and probably thinks that seeing out games at this level is difficult.
Despite winning the title, we won a high number of homes games by a single goal last year, and seemed to always be desperately hanging on in injury time.
I'd tend to agree attack can be the best form of defence - it's a big ask defending a lead for 45 minutes at this level.

What I will say is that I thought we were much the better team on Saturday and I really believe an upturn in results is just around the corner. If that is the standard of teams at the bottom then I am not too worried.

It's the same old story at the moment of missed chances and th luck not going our way, but it will!

Talking to some Wimbledon fans on the train back into London and they were surprised how good we were and said play like that and you will finish comfortably in mid table if not above.