Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Get the feeling slocombe could get a few starts now, slightly worried as we seem to leak goals when he plays.

I do hope not! His ability with crosses and 'housekeeping' (fielding back passes, distribution) is suspect, and its all very fidgety which can't help defenders' confidence.

So what do we think the future holds for the loanees, now that we are out of their competition? Will any of them get any real game time now?

Mensah
Crookes
Gordon
Slocombe
Wharton

Agreed he looked promising, he will have been making runs which get him past age group players but not the more experienced ones he was up against tonight. Looked sharp and keen and hopefully will learn from it.

Ellis's inexperience also showed, but he can clearly pick a pass and put in a shift in midfield, likewise Luque who hopefully has earned that contract extension as he'll have little match time during the rest of this month.
chapman put in quality long pass forward for both the early goal and the penalty. has also showed in other games that he can do simple passing around midfield.
lost the ball a couple of times in bad areas, including the first equaliser. but there looks to be a lot more to come from him when he builds up a bit more experience and confidence. worth noting chapman and luque were up against brown and conneelly tonight, which was the centre-mid partnership that won the league last year.

So what do we think the future holds for the loanees, now that we are out of their competition? Will any of them get any real game time now?

Mensah
Crookes
Gordon
Slocombe
Wharton

I personally think Wharton , when given a proper chance is one of our best footballers so hopefully he'd stay. Blackburn might want to recall and send him on though if we don't play him.
Gordon has shown enough to be of value as a squad player
Slocombe's position rests purely on Vickers' injury
Mensah and Crookes back to their clubs to free up room for incomings in Jan

Mensah
Crookes
Gordon
Slocombe
Wharton
keep gordon and wharton [if blackburn allow it]

slocombe - i think we can do better [an allsop-type loan, given a bit of time to research it in january]
crookes - also think we can do better in january, given our league position.

would definitely keep luque over mensah.

FIFTY UP:

Akinde 7
Green 6
Anderson 4
Andrade 3
Frecklington 3
McCartan 3
O'Connor 3
Pett 3
Rhead 3
Shackell 3
Bostwick 2
Gordon 2
Luque 1
McCombe 1
Toffolo 1
Wharton 1
Wilson 1

Own goals 3

Seventeen different scorers.

Wharton - If we could, but hasn't quite hit the heights of last season. Can't put my finger on it, but he doesn't seem to be enjoying it as much, possibly because his opportunities have been few, with Shackell playing so well. Could be off elsewhere next month.

Luque - Sign him up!

Mensah - not on what I've seen of him.

Crookes - on the fence with him. Noticed an improvement this evening.

Gordon - keep him, if we can. Will give Harry a rest from time to time at the very least.

Slocombe - inspires no confidence in his defence. Distribution not good, doesn't command his area and liable to an error a game.

That was a good performance from a scratch team - especially in the second half - with fringe players playing out of position and two who aren't actually players at all.

How the hell can Luque not get in Bromley's side?

Unlike most I'm disappointed to have gone out. I was hoping to retain the trophy without actually winning a game.

Made it home despite the usual selection of greater Manchester motorway closures.

Sad we're out but result apart, a really really entertaining match.
4-4 would have been a fair 90mins scoreline.
Luque and Green were our best players.
Rheady's pen miss the turning point.
Hope that doesn't mean he never reaches his 50.
Ellis is a mixture of decent with a liberal sprinkling of errors. But he will improve.

But Luque was the stand out plus from this match. He looks physically strong. His passing was the best I've seen this season by a midfielder.
Is central midfield where he could be most effective or left wing?
His determination was obvious to see, battled for everything.

Anyway Trophy and Lge Cup both ended in Lancashire!
Hope FA Cup not also going to end there too...

Just seen Rheady's penalty miss and had to laugh. Not because he missed it but because it must have set a new world record for number of players in the box when he takes it. Bloody Hell I've seen less players in the box for a corner.

I thought Chapman and Luque did ok in centre midfield first half but became over run in the 2nd. Chapman will improve for sure, just at the minute he’s tending to get caught out with a sloppy pass in midfield in key areas.

I thought Chapman and Luque did ok in centre midfield first half but became over run in the 2nd. Chapman will improve for sure, just at the minute he’s tending to get caught out with a sloppy pass in midfield in key areas.

It was a very green midfield indeed. Two seventeen year olds (one of whom is a striker), a forward who's only played part time football prior to this season, and a winger who's barely played 10 games in the FL.

And yet up to the Accrington second goal I didn't think they were posing any real problems at all. The last 15 minutes were a different story.

Luque has started twice now in a central midfield two. I wonder if he'd ever played there before? It wasn't noticeable if he hadn't, though to enforce a stereotype Spanish players are often adaptable.

chapman put in quality long pass forward for both the early goal and the penalty. has also showed in other games that he can do simple passing around midfield.
lost the ball a couple of times in bad areas, including the first equaliser. but there looks to be a lot more to come from him when he builds up a bit more experience and confidence. worth noting chapman and luque were up against brown and conneelly tonight, which was the centre-mid partnership that won the league last year.
Is Chapman 17 or 18?
Danny purrs about him doesent he in interviews.

FIFTY UP:

Akinde 7
Green 6
Anderson 4
Andrade 3
Frecklington 3
McCartan 3
O'Connor 3
Pett 3
Rhead 3
Shackell 3
Bostwick 2
Gordon 2
Luque 1
McCombe 1
Toffolo 1
Wharton 1
Wilson 1

Own goals 3

Seventeen different scorers.
And 50 for Rheady as well?

Get the feeling slocombe could get a few starts now, slightly worried as we seem to leak goals when he plays.
We've been leaking goals with Vickers in the nets, and a full strength back four. We were 6, I think, without a clean sheet up to Saturday.

Just seen Rheady's penalty miss and had to laugh. Not because he missed it but because it must have set a new world record for number of players in the box when he takes it.

I agree - at least four Accrington players plus Matt Green. Referees never seem to bother enforcing that rule.