Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Anyone disappointed by today consider that the point gained today takes us to 11 points on the road this season.

Last season we gained 10 in total
even better than last season as we only got 9 away points in total.
and we have won 3 away cup matches as well. One away defeat in 9. The kind of progression Appleton is talking about.

I am not convinced a midfield of Jones and McGandles works. I would prefer to see Grant, Bridcutt and one other

Jones and McGrandles start virtually every game and I think there are reasons for this.

They can both get from box to box. Attack and defend and are decent in possession.

They are important to the way we play and integral to why we have started so well.

Bridcutt and Grant both bring additional quality to the side but neither of them can do what Jones and McGrandles do.

Sheer work rate, running power and athleticism doesn't attract much attention, until you lack it.

Jones and McGrandles start virtually every game and I think there are reasons for this.

They can both get from box to box. Attack and defend and are decent in possession.

They are important to the way we play and integral to why we have started so well.

Bridcutt and Grant both bring additional quality to the side but neither of them can do what Jones and McGrandles do.

Sheer work rate, running power and athleticism doesn't attract much attention, until you lack it.
Totally agree with you, but today the game seemed to pass by Jones and I think he should have been subbed at half time, although from no fault of his own.

Really feel Scully needs to start, he's always a threat. In place of whom or in what formation though I'm afraid I have no idea.
Agreed; and agreed; hes strong as an ox, his ability to shield a ball from defenders is terrific but he's not tall enough to be a target man like Hopper. He's quick and can exploit spaces behind a defensive line, but not as quick and explosive as Johnson.

But his goals per minutes ratio is the highest of the current squad? 4-4-2 off Hopper plays to his strengths but probably weakens the team elsewhere.

What MA is paid for.

One problem with seeing matches via single camera video stream is the watcher gets a restricted view of the game, you get little idea of what's going on off the ball.

I think McGrandles in particular is underappreciated in this respect, though in a couple of games recently, including today, a strong first half has been followed by a noticable fading of influence before being subbed.

Agreed; and agreed; hes strong as an ox, his ability to shield a ball from defenders is terrific but he's not tall enough to be a target man like Hopper. He's quick and can exploit spaces behind a defensive line, but not as quick and explosive as Johnson.

But his goals per minutes ratio is the highest of the current squad? 4-4-2 off Hopper plays to his strengths but probably weakens the team elsewhere.

What MA is paid for.
You are right, apart from today perhaps, when the team really didn't play to their strengths. Plus we seem to play better on the ground without worrying too much about a target man. I wouldn't/couldn't do M.A.'s job, how does he sleep at night?

For me I am struggling to see what Jones brings to the party, especially today. I think when Grant plays in the middle his tackling and closing down can be underrated as people are just looking for the defence splitting balls.

For me I am struggling to see what Jones brings to the party, especially today. I think when Grant plays in the middle his tackling and closing down can be underrated as people are just looking for the defence splitting balls.
I felt the same yesterday until I started paying particular attention to Jones. He is certainly a workhorse and integral to the way we play. For some reason, commentators don't mention his name too much. It was said when he came here that he wouldn't get the recognition and it's true.

I felt the same yesterday until I started paying particular attention to Jones. He is certainly a workhorse and integral to the way we play. For some reason, commentators don't mention his name too much.

Let's face it Hortin doesnt hardly mention anybody's name. Watched the ifollow first half with Crewe commentary and they knew all our players and quoted plenty of stats on us. Then i had to go out in the car so put radio Lincs commentary on and I think I heard Hortin mention a Crewe players name a couple of times...Its also getting on my nerves when he gives it the......"what's happened there Thommo ,what's the referee given here, I didnt see anything". Then there is a 10 second silence as if we are building the tension to a massive crescendo and then Thommo will come out with something like "I think hes given a corner Michael"......What!..a friggin corner, Hortin builds it as if it's going to be some major incident and then all hes given is a corner.
I dont mind Hortin and understand it is going to be a more City biased view on the commentary but would like him to have done at least some basic research on the opposition and be able to reel off their names in commentary. After all it's not difficult is it, their names are plastered right across the back of their shirts.

Lincoln City certainly have come a long way in a short space of time when fans are arrogant enough to think that a draw away at Accrington is cause to make sweeping criticisms of individuals or the system they play in. Especially when those individuals and system had recently seen us sit top of League One.

To be fair to Hortin yesterday, their commentary position was at one end level with the 18 yard line. We get the camera view - they are commentating without it. There are many times I have sat in the stand at a game and can't read the player's names on their shirts. Hortin and Tommo are just as far away every game, and some games (like yesterday) far far away.

Haing said that, he is easily distracted at times and loses track of what is happenning on the field.

The only area personally I think we are short in this squad is a natural goalscorer - perhaps an upgrade on Hopper who can hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses.

Hopper works really hard, but he is not a goalscorer and hardly ever attacks the ball on the numerous crosses we put in. Like some others, I wouldn't mind us trying a front three of Johnson, Scully and Anderson. Scully is the closest we have got to a goal poacher.

The only area personally I think we are short in this squad is a natural goalscorer - perhaps an upgrade on Hopper who can hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses.

Hopper works really hard, but he is not a goalscorer and hardly ever attacks the ball on the numerous crosses we put in. Like some others, I wouldn't mind us trying a front three of Johnson, Scully and Anderson. Scully is the closest we have got to a goal poacher.

True, he’s certainly not Tyler Walker. But he gives us a lot more in his all round play, which is vital for the way we set up. If only we had a 20 goal a season striker who had all the link up play as well. Is Harry Kane available in January?

True, he’s certainly not Tyler Walker. But he gives us a lot more in his all round play, which is vital for the way we set up. If only we had a 20 goal a season striker who had all the link up play as well. Is Harry Kane available in January?

It is the area we are lacking though, obviously the Morton situation is hurting us. Portsmouth have that player. Way out of our league price wise but this is what we’re competing with now. I guess the salary cap will even things up when it kicks in properly.

I will say though, as I keep saying, we’ve had the toughest fixtures by far. Maybe the goalscoring situation will change in the run to the new year.

To be fair, he isn't the answer. The last 2 games have seen him have just one shot on target, granted that one was a goal. He's not prolific enough for us.

To be fair, he isn't the answer. The last 2 games have seen him have just one shot on target, granted that one was a goal. He's not prolific enough for us.

I haven’t reached that conclusion yet. When the team struggles for goals for a period it’s a bit easy to point to the No9.

It’s a problem area for us at the minute in terms of options but let’s see how it goes in the run to the new year.

To be fair to Hortin yesterday, their commentary position was at one end level with the 18 yard line. We get the camera view - they are commentating without it. There are many times I have sat in the stand at a game and can't read the player's names on their shirts. Hortin and Tommo are just as far away every game, and some games (like yesterday) far far away.

Haing said that, he is easily distracted at times and loses track of what is happenning on the field.

The Accrington commentator had exactly the same position, he referred to it during the game, but the difference (as it always is with other stations) is stark.

The problem is the total lack of preparation. That, and that he might be a good presenter for all I know, but he is totally unsuited to match commentary.

One of the problems with the striking position is that we don't seem to have anyone in that poaching position in front of the keeper for balls squared into the box and now we have Anderson and Johnson who can get to the byline and cross the ball into the box we need someone further forward - I would play Johnson upfront in a 3 with Anderson and Scully - some pace and good feet.

Would have settled for a point at 3.0pm yesterday but a side pushing for promotion would have won that playing 10 men. If we have any Play Off ambition we need three at Swindon on Tuesday, sort of games decent teams will win, are we as good as some thought we are !? Injuries have not been kind recently.

Last edited: