Match ratings v WBA | Vital Football

Match ratings v WBA

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
Thought it might be interesting to see folks scores.

Pants: 6.5, little to do. Caught the easy stuff but still makes me nervous.

Darth Winker: 7, decent going forward, decent defensively but another who makes me nervous. One great cross in particular should have been a goal and often offered himself as an outlet.

Benny: 7, as above, decent at both ends of the park but didn't shine.

Fox: 8, comfortably our best defender, and played a couple of excellent passes.

Tobias: 7, rusty start but grew into the game.

Jack: 7, another rusty start but showed his intelligence as the game went on to break up play.

Gueddy: 9.5, superb, no other comment needed.

Lolley: 6.5, he's a real threat but must improve his end product.

Dias: 7, looks the brightest of the 3 Portuguese chaps so far. Still waiting for him to really click but impressive work rate too.

Carvalho: 6.5, threatened but never quite imposed himself.

Grabban: 7, good movement, and with match sharpness could of had a couple.

Subs: little impact so no scores.

AK: while the result was frustrating if we play this style of football all season with a top 10 finish I'll be happy.

Agree with most of that except I thought second half Carvalho was outstanding and Darikwa was utterly frustrating with his misplaced negative backwards passing.

I also really like lolley - think a lot of his opportunities are self created but agree his finishing needs improving. If he did, he'd be the complete player!

Defence still concerns me slightly, though o don't think individually the CH's playes badly.

Agree with most of that except I thought second half Carvalho was outstanding and Darikwa was utterly frustrating with his misplaced negative backwards passing.

I also really like lolley - think a lot of his opportunities are self created but agree his finishing needs improving. If he did, he'd be the complete player!

Defence still concerns me slightly, though o don't think individually the CH's playes badly.

Agree with all of those points

I agree with cp on carvalho being honest. I think he should have come off much earlier I think his legs were gone . He lost nearly every 50/50. Great vision and can play great balls

Thought Grabban and Lolley both had off days, both should have scored (and both were denied by superb saving tackles on other occasions).

Darikwa did give the ball away a couple of times, but Soudani did so within minutes of coming on. Darikwa didn't look bad over 90 minutes. Great team performance, ran out of steam in the last 10 minutes and old familiar weaknesses came back.

Geddy probably tired near the end too, but was magnificent overall. Pity the shot from his own half didn't go in.

Thought most were over 7, Darikwa maybe 6.5 does the odd good thing then many bad things to ruin it. Overall that gave me plenty of hope we may flirt with the top end rather than where we've been flirting the last 2 seasons, couple more ins and outs then hopefully the side will start to gel even further.

Carvahol is great. The angles of his passing you just don't see from English players.
Dias really worked for the team, and massively helped Osborne out. He'd have tracked Phillips back for the goal. Might not have stopped it but would've hopefully made it more difficult.
Darwika was pretty good until he suddenly started giving the ball away under little pressure at around 65 minutes. Fitness or concentration, I'm not sure, but it will cost us big style at some point.

Carvahol is great. The angles of his passing you just don't see from English players.
Dias really worked for the team, and massively helped Osborne out. He'd have tracked Phillips back for the goal. Might not have stopped it but would've hopefully made it more difficult.
Darwika was pretty good until he suddenly started giving the ball away under little pressure at around 65 minutes. Fitness or concentration, I'm not sure, but it will cost us big style at some point.

I agree about Carvalho , i think we have a very special player on our hands.

Cant remember the last time i saw forest that good. Commitment, quality, all excellent.

Teams will now park the bus against us beginning with reading on Saturday for sure.

I don't want to sound presumptuous but in WBA we have a team who's just come down from the Prem' and it was (on paper at least) going to be a test, especially them being "A Wounded Animal" after their Saturdays result but what I saw last night, any lesser team would have had a real spanking.

Four changes from Saturday!! - did it make us any weaker? I don't think so. The strength on the bench tells its own story!!! thus giving us plenty of hope for the whole season.

People talk about keeping the same side gives you consistency but bringing on any of those off the bench would not have weakened the side - fair enough those that came on had to come up to the speed of the game, but the more we get into the season that will not be so.

With rotation, come Feb/March we won't have tired legs like a lot of other sides and what I witnessed last night I don't think it will be long before someone gets that spanking - I just hope it comes sooner rather than later to show our intent - Hopefully come Saturday!!!

To say we were on the Telly and a mid-week match what a magnificent turn out - We just need some goals to repay the loyalty of the supporters who've put the trust in the club and put their money where their mouths are.

I dear bet, know-one after 90 minutes was thinking of the their season card problems and getting in - once sorted, we can all sit back and just enjoy the football, so let's get our heads down and think what we can moan about next:unsure:

What a bright future!!!

Last edited:
6.5 for Carvalho is a rough rating to give him (especially if you’re giving Grabban a 7). If he’d cost us 2mil you’d probably have given him a 7.5, trying to unlock an excellent WBA Defence won’t be easy for any number 10 in all fairness. But that said the final ball from everyone wasn’t quite good enough, a little more tempo needed and some sharper finishing will make a world of difference.
I see us being the championships version of Liverpool last season. Entertaining, quality attacking football but equally wobbly defensively.
I’m already booking an appointment in May with the Doc for my blood pressure :D

I don't want to sound presumptuous but in WBA we have a team who's just come down from the Prem' and it was (on paper at least) going to be a test, especially them being "A Wounded Animal" after their Saturdays result but what I saw last night, any lesser team would have had a real spanking.

Four changes from Saturday!! - did it make us any weaker? I don't think so. The strength on the bench tells its own story!!! thus giving us plenty of hope for the whole season.

People talk about keeping the same side gives you consistency but bringing on any of those off the bench would not have weakened the side - fair enough those that came on had to come up to the speed of the game, but the more we get into the season that will not be so.

With rotation, come Feb/March we won't have tired legs like a lot of other sides and what I witnessed last night I don't think it will be long before someone gets that spanking - I just hope it comes sooner rather than later to show our intent - Hopefully come Saturday!!!

To say we were on the Telly and a mid-week match what a magnificent turn out - We just need some goals to repay the loyalty of the supporters who've put the trust in the club and put their money where their mouths are.

I dear bet, know-one after 90 minutes was thinking of the their season card problems and getting in - once sorted, we can all sit back and just enjoy the football, so let's get our heads down and think what we can moan about next:unsure:

What a bright future!!!

Me and my mate were saying the same thing last night.

For most of the last 5 years, bringing on a sub generally meant fresh legs but a weaker player.

Last night we were able to replace outstanding players with more outstanding players.

We should have done it earlier but it was so refreshing to see the strength in depth

Ill go:

Pantillimon - 7
Darikwa - 6
Osborn - 7
Figueiredo - 6
Fox - 7
Colback - 7
Guedioura - 9 (btw, Lansbury not fit to pick the peanuts out of this guy's shit)
Lolley - 6
Carvalho - 7
Dias - 7
Grabban - 6

6.5 for Carvalho is a rough rating to give him (especially if you’re giving Grabban a 7). If he’d cost us 2mil you’d probably have given him a 7.5, trying to unlock an excellent WBA Defence won’t be easy for any number 10 in all fairness. But that said the final ball from everyone wasn’t quite good enough, a little more tempo needed and some sharper finishing will make a world of difference.
I see us being the championships version of Liverpool last season. Entertaining, quality attacking football but equally wobbly defensively.
I’m already booking an appointment in May with the Doc for my blood pressure :D

That's a reasonable comment on Carvalho, I just thought he flitted in and out of the game a touch. Lots of potential, just didn't quite make the most of our domination.

That's a reasonable comment on Carvalho, I just thought he flitted in and out of the game a touch. Lots of potential, just didn't quite make the most of our domination.

Agreed he technically could have done more, and will when people catch up with how his vision translates on the pitch. But only his second game in the shirt, in a different league / tempo, I thought he was very impressive. Massively outshone by Gueddy mind, pleased he’s such a seemingly likable chap too!

Me and my mate were saying the same thing last night.

For most of the last 5 years, bringing on a sub generally meant fresh legs but a weaker player.

Last night we were able to replace outstanding players with more outstanding players.

We should have done it earlier but it was so refreshing to see the strength in depth
Looking back. I am surprised that Dawson wasn't brought on for 3 at the back in the 80/85 minute. Surely with 10 minutes to go and a spare sub.....
even if to just to disrupt/slow them down a bit.
Aitor gets a 6 from me

Looking back. I am surprised that Dawson wasn't brought on for 3 at the back in the 80/85 minute. Surely with 10 minutes to go and a spare sub.....
even if to just to disrupt/slow them down a bit.
Aitor gets a 6 from me
Gayle coming on and the change of formation caused us problems, but AK did nothing to counter it.

Bristol away has been a problem of late and a very good WBA team, be them struggling, was always a tricky start. The beginning of the season always takes some time to bed in. Teams settle after 5 games. New faces, bit rusty, match fit etc. Forest often struggle against the, so called, poorer teams and Reading of late fall in to that category. Saw nothing when they played Derby to give concern. We may also benefit from having played the extra game this week but shuffled the pack. Think Saturday will indicate the potential of this side. Looking forward to weekend.