MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Southampton | Page 11 | Vital Football

MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Southampton

I know people want to cut CW some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt. Answer me then why we have made no attempt to move away from 3 5 2, and why we start as near as dammit the team from the previous defeat. What do we do first game next season? 3-5-2 and see how we go?

If he'd been shuffling a bit to see if we can improve, I could accept it, but its 'win, lose or draw this is how we play'. Same underperformers on the pitch, week in week out. He looks to be just going through the motions and so wedded to his wonderful system that no one can question it.
Because we all remember what happened when McCabe got rid of Warnock. I understand your comments but give Wilder while November for me.

I would hope the Prince and board have solutions in place however this season pans out, seems odd to say CW hasn't a plan "B" yet assume the board haven't. Would imagine questions will be asked of Wilder in the remaining games, and rightly so which will determine which way the Prince jumps. Certainly need to see more in the next games to be convinced he has learnt anything and can change definitely undecided from me.

Because we all remember what happened when McCabe got rid of Warnock. I understand your comments but give Wilder while November for me.

We didn't need to replace Warnock with the pisshead, and there's no reason why we'd replace CW with a no-hoper. There were a dozen managers who would have had us back up. By November we could have lost 40 out of 50 games. Where else could a manager get away with that? Here was me thinking that it was a results business...

McCabe started his run of picking abysmal managers with robson in spite of everything he was told, it’s true the prince could go the same way but I believe his ego isn’t that big that he won’t listen to advice so although there’s no guarantees I think the odds are stacked more in his favour if he decides in a change of direction
i will reiterate once again I would like Chris to have the chance to redeem himself and the team but if the worst happens I can’t see HRH picking worse than McCabe ( hope this doesn’t come back to bite me on the derieré)

We didn't need to replace Warnock with the pisshead, and there's no reason why we'd replace CW with a no-hoper. There were a dozen managers who would have had us back up. By November we could have lost 40 out of 50 games. Where else could a manager get away with that? Here was me thinking that it was a results business...
Just out of interest name the dozen managers Pops,tha can fone a friend if ya need too.UTMPB

McCabe started his run of picking abysmal managers with robson in spite of everything he was told, it’s true the prince could go the same way but I believe his ego isn’t that big that he won’t listen to advice so although there’s no guarantees I think the odds are stacked more in his favour if he decides in a change of direction
i will reiterate once again I would like Chris to have the chance to redeem himself and the team but if the worst happens I can’t see HRH picking worse than McCabe ( hope this doesn’t come back to bite me on the derieré)
I agree he did make some poor appointments but without doubt Robson was the worst.I can remember before he arrived at BDBL Rovrum were linked with a managemnet team of Robson&Gazza and all the millers i know said well the Millmoor Hotel(pub) would be delighted if they did arrive at Millmoor.UTMPB

Last edited:
I don't take it for granted Warnock would have taken us back up. Cardiff retained him after their relegation and it didn't work out. McCabe's appointment of Robson was just one of many puzzlers from a chairman with a low footballing IQ.

We can't keep looking to the past to keep fueling the fear of change. Look at Southampton, they moved on from Adkins to employ the current PSG and Barcelona managers. Comparative to the division this is the worst season in our history, to just carry on regardless will waste the opportunity to become a PL mainstay, which is a task CW heartbreakingly doesn't appear capable of.

Whatever the Prince decides will carrry a risk, but we can't underestimate the long term effects this season will have on the club and all involved.

Just out of interest name the dozen managers Pops,tha can fone a friend if ya need too.UTMPB

Amongst the managers who were available, or who could have been poached for less money that pisshead were Tony Mowbray, Tony Pulis, Mick McCarthy, Roberto Martinez, Alan Pardew, Martin O'Neill, Shaun O'Driscoll, Roy Keane, Mark McGhee , Sam Allardyce, Chris Coleman, Phil Parkinson. Or are you going to tell me that there WEREN'T 12 managers better than pisshead. I didn't know you held him in such high regards...

I don't take it for granted Warnock would have taken us back up. Cardiff retained him after their relegation and it didn't work out. McCabe's appointment of Robson was just one of many puzzlers from a chairman with a low footballing IQ.

We can't keep looking to the past to keep fueling the fear of change. Look at Southampton, they moved on from Adkins to employ the current PSG and Barcelona managers. Comparative to the division this is the worst season in our history, to just carry on regardless will waste the opportunity to become a PL mainstay, which is a task CW heartbreakingly doesn't appear capable of.

Whatever the Prince decides will carrry a risk, but we can't underestimate the long term effects this season will have on the club and all involved.
but emplying a new manager could result in a sesaon of mistakes and then the cycle begins of a new manager every season. wilders made his mistakes and hopefully hes had his learning curve. we need to keep him at least for halve of next season. the odds are he,ll do better than a new manager cause he knows the players and their limitations,before a new manager works them out we could be in a relegation scrap again. keep him for at least halve a season thats what i say.

Amongst the managers who were available, or who could have been poached for less money that pisshead were Tony Mowbray, Tony Pulis, Mick McCarthy, Roberto Martinez, Alan Pardew, Martin O'Neill, Shaun O'Driscoll, Roy Keane, Mark McGhee , Sam Allardyce, Chris Coleman, Phil Parkinson. Or are you going to tell me that there WEREN'T 12 managers better than pisshead. I didn't know you held him in such high regards...
Now now Pops i've said plenty of times it was a very poor appointment.Roy Keane's done wonders in management hasn't he,:shake: Pardew not for me,Mark McGee really?:giggle: O'Driscoll again not for me,he did ok for a season or so at Donny but then what? Coleman and Parkinson have failed miserably at Sunderland,Mowbray,what are his successes in management? It's along time ago but were Allardyce,Pulis,McCarthy,ONeill really available to us then? Martinez has done well and usually has his teams playing good football.

but emplying a new manager could result in a sesaon of mistakes and then the cycle begins of a new manager every season. wilders made his mistakes and hopefully hes had his learning curve. we need to keep him at least for halve of next season. the odds are he,ll do better than a new manager cause he knows the players and their limitations,before a new manager works them out we could be in a relegation scrap again. keep him for at least halve a season thats what i say.

Whatever the Prince does is going to carry a risk and open him up for criticism.

What United can't afford to do is allow CW to bring in a load of his players in the window only to last a few games before he's sacked. That happened when Blackwell was sacked and Gary Speed was left trying to get Andy Taylor, Richard Creswell and Johnny Ertl to fit into a passing, possession based side.

If Wilder is to stay he has to be on the same page as the Prince on everything, Including a DofF. He has to accept the Prince calls the shots. The club can't be run as CW's little fiefdom anymore.

Now now Pops i've said plenty of times it was a very poor appointment.Roy Keane's done wonders in management hasn't he,:shake: Pardew not for me,Mark McGee really?:giggle: O'Driscoll again not for me,he did ok for a season or so at Donny but then what? Coleman and Parkinson have failed miserably at Sunderland,Mowbray,what are his successes in management? It's along time ago but were Allardyce,Pulis,McCarthy,ONeill really available to us then? Martinez has done well and usually has his teams playing good football.

I said we didn't have to employ a tosser who spent a fortune and wasted it, and set the seeds for our decline. I think today, if CW was out the door, there seems to be an assumption that we would pick a tosser who will make us worse, in effect, CW is the best we can ever have.

Well...he might be, he might not, but I still want to understand why he has been so passive as this season has unfolded as such a disaster. Its a results game. Managers get 10 shyte games, not 40. And for 40 games we've really changed nothing.

I thought he was pro-active thinker, a student of the game. Maybe he's just a lower level motivator who just dropped lucky with the 3-5-2 system and him and AK will never come up with anything that good again.

Whatever the Prince does is going to carry a risk and open him up for criticism.

What United can't afford to do is allow CW to bring in a load of his players in the window only to last a few games before he's sacked. That happened when Blackwell was sacked and Gary Speed was left trying to get Andy Taylor, Richard Creswell and Johnny Ertl to fit into a passing, possession based side.

If Wilder is to stay he has to be on the same page as the Prince on everything, Including a DofF. He has to accept the Prince calls the shots. The club can't be run as CW's little fiefdom anymore.

Wilder needs reminding he's just a manager in charge until he isn't anymore.
He can leave on his own terms as a legend or out the back door as a spoilt brat.
Wilder is flawed as shown by his one trick pony 3-5-2 at ANY cost irrespective of who is available to play. No, lets go 4-4-2 while we are on the bare bones and get a few points here and there. He has started criticising players as not up to the standard needed. No shit Sherlock. No acceptance of any RESPONSIBILITY whatsoever. The boards fault, VAR, Refs, other clubs for having more money, the sun has started rising in the west, the earths flat.
I find certain traits on here interesting.

McCabe was great and Wilder is God and the Prince is iffy.

Two "one of our owns" and a johnny foreigner.

Mmmm.