MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Plymouth Argyle h | Page 8 | Vital Football

MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Plymouth Argyle h

I think the question is Ray (it’s Gray by the way) has he always been a jibbering flapper or has he become one since he signed for us? I remember Hendo getting stick on here especially in his first season ...comparisons made with George Long Simon Moore etc. Eh @Bulmer1889 ?
I can’t comment on what happened at Bournemouth gray only on what I see

She was talking about Brewster then I think from what I could gather I think she’s a goalkeeper or was and she had ramsdale spot on for me
About the only thing she war right on all day.

Said we looked as though we had been out on NYE before the Palace game.

Last edited:
He dunt needs crowds to be crucified these days Bully....he can be nailed up 24/7 on Twatter and even sent a nudge just to make sure the abuse is heard.
That can knock a lads confidence but it’s not like having 3 or 4 k stood behind you giving you shit and I know it holds 10 but not everyone boos on the kop honest 😇
as for social media if he’s got any sense he’s keeping off it

I strongly suspect Ramsdale wouldn't be alone in getting grief, if crowds were back.
Daft as it sounds maybe it’s what some of em need I never condone abuse as a rule but they wouldn’t be allowed to get away with what they have this season if a crowd was watching

Grey, he is a flapper, his positioning is really poor, he makes our defence nervous, he goes walk about and many more, but the one thing that is just weird, he dives for everything even, if it’s going nearer the bloody corner flag, too comical to laugh at
Hendo wouldn’t have wasted his energy
Just my opinion mate
Spot on Ray. As Bulmer says, I've had doubts from day one- his low, slow, making no ground attempt at the Villa looping header- and he's only confirmed what what I thought match by match.

As you say , he dives for everything- the one today going 3 yards wide of his left hand post 2nd half-which serves to show he has little positional sense.

He reminds me of the last pick on a Sunday morning kick around who ends up in goal.Thing is that kid's now bought the kit 'cos he's always picked there and so the rest think, like he does, that he's a proper keeper- that's Ramsdale in a nutshell for me- enthusiastic, dives about a lot but to little effect.

The drop in 1st half injury time- the 8th time this season was pathetic and had NOTHING to do with those around him.In fact his poor technial ability would make him a, when tested, a liability behnd the best defence in the world.

Can he improve- 'cos no one's going to buy a twice in 2 seasons relegated keeper is the big question?

Put it this way, there's plenty of scope for him to at least become average.( harsh yes but ATM accurate)

There are so many experienced 2nd string keeprs about- John Ruddy for one - who are streets ahead of him and , whilst they might want more wages they wouldn't have cost so much in initial outlay.

Did we buy him as a project expecting mistakes but big improvement? If we did that's just wrong. You can't mess about developing a player in the position where 1 mistake is a goal in the PL.

Last edited:
I think the question is Ray (it’s Gray by the way) has he always been a jibbering flapper or has he become one since he signed for us? I remember Hendo getting stick on here especially in his first season ...comparisons made with George Long Simon Moore etc. Eh @Bulmer1889 ?
Sorry Gray
Hendo was always a good shot stopper, and oozed confidence, sometimes too much!!
And he was suspect at crosses , and his positioning at free kicks definition suspect
But Rammers, I can’t see any qualities he is supposed to have, or what our scouts have seen
Time will tell I suppose, I really hope he proves me wrong
And, becomes our greatest keeper!!

Sorry Gray
Hendo was always a good shot stopper, and oozed confidence, sometimes too much!!
And he was suspect at crosses , and his positioning at free kicks definition suspect
But Rammers, I can’t see any qualities he is supposed to have, or what our scouts have seen
Time will tell I suppose, I really hope he proves me wrong
And, becomes our greatest keeper!!
Absolutely no need to say sorry Ray, I was just letting you know that it’s Gray my friend. I’ve been called Gray all my life except for my Mum and my Mrs when I’ve been in bother...then the extended version comes out. 🤪

I do hear what you say mate and understand your concerns, I see similar right now. All I‘m saying is that I can’t recall him getting anything but plaudits last season and he looked decent in the games I saw him play including against us. I always keep an eye out for our ex players and I thought he looked solid, my only concern was his physique, I wondered if he was big enough. I also thought he was far more confident than he is now in his early games so with all that in mind, is his current nervous state down to the ever changing sloppy defence in front of him or not? That’s all I’m saying. I’m not sure Hendo would do much better much as I rated him, we’d started shipping more goals at the back end of last season with him in goal and even with JOC playing.

Absolutely no need to say sorry Ray, I was just letting you know that it’s Gray my friend. I’ve been called Gray all my life except for my Mum and my Mrs when I’ve been in bother...then the extended version comes out. 🤪

I do hear what you say mate and understand your concerns, I see similar right now. All I‘m saying is that I can’t recall him getting anything but plaudits last season and he looked decent in the games I saw him play including against us. I always keep an eye out for our ex players and I thought he looked solid, my only concern was his physique, I wondered if he was big enough. I also thought he was far more confident than he is now in his early games so with all that in mind, is his current nervous state down to the ever changing sloppy defence in front of him or not? That’s all I’m saying. I’m not sure Hendo would do much better much as I rated him, we’d started shipping more goals at the back end of last season with him in goal and even with JOC playing.
Like I said mate, I really hope I am wrong about him, I really do
We are all blades (even our Chris) , and we want all our players to be great, and I am sure they are not having a rough time because they want to be, it’s a difficult for them as it is us

@Grayblade I understand the giving him time m8 I really do but how long can we wait there isn’t one blade alive that doesn’t want him to succeed I certainly do my problem is we haven’t got time to wait my other problem is the back up is probably worse we’re stuck with what we have but unfortunately atm what we have isn’t good enough and there’s f all we can do about it atm. Who to blame I’m not sure for me Chris has to be part of it he reckons he’s hands on with transfers so he has to take part of the blame at least even if he comes good in the future this season has been an outright failure which is the most important point

Like I said mate, I really hope I am wrong about him, I really do
We are all blades (even our Chris) , and we want all our players to be great, and I am sure they are not having a rough time because they want to be, it’s a difficult for them as it is us
Spot on Ray!

The point was raised on S2 that he may have issues with his eyesight.

This has crossed my mind too, since I realised he wears glasses/contact lenses.

Imagine that.

But whether it's a problem or not, I think Wilder and our staff had the blinkers on when it came to signing him. I think sentiment played too much of a part.

I was relatively in favour of signing him, just not for that price. But I didn't watch him extensively as our staff surely did. If this is how he played much of last season, there's no excuse at all.

@Grayblade I understand the giving him time m8 I really do but how long can we wait there isn’t one blade alive that doesn’t want him to succeed I certainly do my problem is we haven’t got time to wait my other problem is the back up is probably worse we’re stuck with what we have but unfortunately atm what we have isn’t good enough and there’s f all we can do about it atm. Who to blame I’m not sure for me Chris has to be part of it he reckons he’s hands on with transfers so he has to take part of the blame at least even if he comes good in the future this season has been an outright failure which is the most important point
The way I look at is this season is gone now Bully so we might as well settle for winning the FA Cup and give Rammy the rest of the season to regain his form.😉

I‘m glad you mentioned the back up keeper situation by the way because the general consensus was that Moore wasn’t good enough for the PL and yet it seems to me the the two backup keepers that have been added are no better maybe even worse than him. Can anybody disagree? Obviously Wilder doesn’t otherwise one of them would surely have been in the side giving Ramsdale time to recover some semblance of form this season.

Everybody’s has had a view on the club not bringing in a decent replacement for JOC but for me (even allowing for the fact that I’m a bit ‘keeper fixated), the fact that we’ve gone through a season and a half in the PL with no competent backup goalkeeper is nothing short of dereliction of duty. I don‘t want to believe that Wilder has been ok with it and yet here we are flogging a keeper who’s confidence is shot to death as there’s no alternative. It’s shades of George Long under Clough all over again but at far higher stakes and level. We’d probably get a decent experienced Championship keeper for a few £million who could really challenge Ramsdale, it doesn’t make sense. I mean come on Wes bloody Foderingham. What the hell is all that about?

As Clough senior used to say, the goalkeeper is the most important player in the team and yet we rocked up to the best league in the world with lower league backup and we have still not addressed it. Frankly I find it totally baffling.

Spot on Ray. As Bulmer says, I've had doubts from day one- his low, slow, making no ground attempt at the Villa looping header- and he's only confirmed what what I thought match by match.

As you say , he dives for everything- the one today going 3 yards wide of his left hand post 2nd half-which serves to show he has little positional sense.

He reminds me of the last pick on a Sunday morning kick around who ends up in goal.Thing is that kid's now bought the kit 'cos he's always picked there and so the rest think, like he does, that he's a proper keeper- that's Ramsdale in a nutshell for me- enthusiastic, dives about a lot but to little effect.

The drop in 1st half injury time- the 8th time this season was pathetic and had NOTHING to do with those around him.In fact his poor technial ability would make him a, when tested, a liability behnd the best defence in the world.

Can he improve- 'cos no one's going to buy a twice in 2 seasons relegated keeper is the big question?

Put it this way, there's plenty of scope for him to at least become average.( harsh yes but ATM accurate)

There are so many experienced 2nd string keeprs about- John Ruddy for one - who are streets ahead of him and , whilst they might want more wages they wouldn't have cost so much in initial outlay.

Did we buy him as a project expecting mistakes but big improvement? If we did that's just wrong. You can't mess about developing a player in the position where 1 mistake is a goal in the PL.
england u23s first choice keeper, plays well almost every game,maybe because hes confident that the team in front of him will perform. can he do better of course he can ,but hes nowhere near as bad as your making out. if he was that bad why does wilder pick him. then again wilder picks mcburnie every game when hes fit hahahahahaahhahahaahahah

The price paid is nothing to do with CW. He just gives the “money men” a list of targets. Then it’s up to them. We pay much less in salaries than your other PL sides, so he doesn’t necessarily get his first choice (or 2nd., or 3rd.). I’m not saying it’s the best way to do it, but it’s how it is.
Having said that, I suspect Rammers was his first choice.
yes it is he sets the value we pay, example, dont pay over 18 million for him and we,ll negociate his wages with his agent. ,he has a budget and he says where its spent im afraid its all down to wilder. remember that fly on the wall programe sky did,where the agent put 5 grand on the wages of a player at the last minute ,wilder were informed and he said im not paying that hes not worth the extra 5 a week.

The point was raised on S2 that he may have issues with his eyesight.

This has crossed my mind too, since I realised he wears glasses/contact lenses.

Imagine that.

But whether it's a problem or not, I think Wilder and our staff had the blinkers on when it came to signing him. I think sentiment played too much of a part.

I was relatively in favour of signing him, just not for that price. But I didn't watch him extensively as our staff surely did. If this is how he played much of last season, there's no excuse at all.
voted player of the season by the fans

yes it is he sets the value we pay, example, dont pay over 18 million for him and we,ll negociate his wages with his agent. ,he has a budget and he says where its spent im afraid its all down to wilder. remember that fly on the wall programe sky did,where the agent put 5 grand on the wages of a player at the last minute ,wilder were informed and he said im not paying that hes not worth the extra 5 a week.
This is how I’ve read how it goes too it’s been said too many times not to be right

The way I look at is this season is gone now Bully so we might as well settle for winning the FA Cup and give Rammy the rest of the season to regain his form.😉

I‘m glad you mentioned the back up keeper situation by the way because the general consensus was that Moore wasn’t good enough for the PL and yet it seems to me the the two backup keepers that have been added are no better maybe even worse than him. Can anybody disagree? Obviously Wilder doesn’t otherwise one of them would surely have been in the side giving Ramsdale time to recover some semblance of form this season.

Everybody’s has had a view on the club not bringing in a decent replacement for JOC but for me (even allowing for the fact that I’m a bit ‘keeper fixated), the fact that we’ve gone through a season and a half in the PL with no competent backup goalkeeper is nothing short of dereliction of duty. I don‘t want to believe that Wilder has been ok with it and yet here we are flogging a keeper who’s confidence is shot to death as there’s no alternative. It’s shades of George Long under Clough all over again but at far higher stakes and level. We’d probably get a decent experienced Championship keeper for a few £million who could really challenge Ramsdale, it doesn’t make sense. I mean come on Wes bloody Foderingham. What the hell is all that about?

As Clough senior used to say, the goalkeeper is the most important player in the team and yet we rocked up to the best league in the world with lower league backup and we have still not addressed it. Frankly I find it totally baffling.
Got to put the blame on recruitment and as twirlo says it’s down to Chris imo he’s fcked up big time but everyone makes mistakes anyone who doesn’t has never done owt the measure of the man is admitting when he has and taking appropriate action

still waiting