Match Day Thread: The Mighty Blades v Brighton and Hove Albion | Vital Football

Match Day Thread: The Mighty Blades v Brighton and Hove Albion

Not_A_Cheat

Vital Reserves Team
So back in action at last after the 'winter break'. Even more annoying than an international break. So this afternoon we welcome Brighton to BDBL, for what turns out to be the first ever top flight meeting at Bramall Lane. Until today I've felt pretty confident about the result of this game, with Norwich concerning me more... illogical really. But Brighton definitely need the points and this will not be another Burnley style result IMHO...

But anyway...

Any team news? :)

Fully fit squad?

McBurnie leading the line?

In fact is there any need to change anything?

Perhaps McGoldrick getting the nod?

I'm looking forward to us getting back in action, but the nerves are really going to be tested in these last 12 games. It wasn't supposed be this way. Safety is a superb achievement, why did that chance of Europe have to come up...lol. Anyway we go game to game and achieve what we can. Particularly want us to beat Brighton, and in contrary to my earlier statement... 3-0 Blades victory. Berge scoring today....

UTB

I think it will be very interesting to see how we click with Didzy back in. The two No.9's has done okay, but we've lacked that link up play.

I expect an unchanged side, but the partnership between McBurnie and Didzy caused them all sorts of problems at the AMEX, so CW might decide to change it up a bit. It would be harsh on Billy though.

aaagh! Could and should've won it............but 40 points, by the end of Feb, I'll take that - brilliant acheivement Blades :wahey:

Disappointing, could have gone either way, but its two points dropped. That shows you how far we've come. 40 points. Are we safe now..?

I hope in the close season we'll be working closely with Berge to turn him into a forward thinking, marauding midfielder, going on runs, carrying the ball, getting ahead of the strikers occasionally like we saw in the youtube clips.

We miss McGoldrick, and we miss having a player in Duffy's mould, a player that can do something or create something against stubborn opposition by thinking a bit differently.

I have no idea how other teams work us out
At one time we were 5-1-4, then 2-3-5 in just a couple of minutes, amazing
Disappointed, but we have com so far
UTB

Pundits are making a big noise about Lunny's VAR checked challenge. Sky , well Pinocchio, and Matt Holland on Talksh!te both saying it was a definite red.

Watched on a stream and the ball is miscontrolled by the Brighton player who falls down as it hits Lunns midriff and bounces between them so Lunny goes for it and the ball bounces away leaving nowhere for Lunny's leg to go other than onto the B/ton player's leg. Complete accident, no intent, no option for Lunny but the pundits saying definite red.

Anyone else have a view?

Pundits are making a big noise about Lunny's VAR checked challenge. Sky , well Pinocchio, and Matt Holland on Talksh!te both saying it was a definite red.

Watched on a stream and the ball is miscontrolled by the Brighton player who falls down as it hits Lunns midriff and bounces between them so Lunny goes for it and the ball bounces away leaving nowhere for Lunny's leg to go other than onto the B/ton player's leg. Complete accident, no intent, no option for Lunny but the pundits saying definite red.

Anyone else have a view?

You should be a pundit TT - nonsense from the media

You should be a pundit TT - nonsense from the media
Thanks Aya but I'll leave it to the experts- they provide more entertainment for us all !

When they said VAR wwas checking it I thought they were looking at their player's involvement as he slid into Lunny!

Brighton came to spoil ala Newcastle. We scored but then gave away a very soft goal down the right hand side of the defence in the air also similar to Newcastle. After that we had all the possession but looked devoid of ideas in how to break them down.

We stuck with the same formation making like for like subs. It didn't work. We need a plan B such as Mcb coming on in the No.10 role behind two forwards when teams sit as deep as Brighton did.

Two points lost. As for Lundstrams challenge VAR got it right. Unfortunately it didn't earlier in the day when Le Celso stamped on a Chelsea player.

Anyone else have a view?

At the match, I thought it was a foul on Lundstram, not by him, as the Brighton player (Duffy?) lost control of the ball and dived in. Having seen it again, it looks like two committed players going in for a 50/50 and nothing more than that. I have no idea how the Match of the Day team thought it was worse than the Lo Celso challenge. Then again, they thought that the Palace/Newcastle match should be on before our game. Bunch of muppets.

At the match, I thought it was a foul on Lundstram, not by him, as the Brighton player (Duffy?) lost control of the ball and dived in. Having seen it again, it looks like two committed players going in for a 50/50 and nothing more than that. I have no idea how the Match of the Day team thought it was worse than the Lo Celso challenge. Then again, they thought that the Palace/Newcastle match should be on before our game. Bunch of muppets.
Same here SRE. I thought it was a bit harsh to look at a red for the Brighton player as he had slipped when going for the ball!. When it transpired it was for Lunny's challenge I was amazed. The way it happened Lunny had no option but to put his foot down where he did.They were saying Lunny had mis controlled the ball as it came off him BUT it came off his midriff from Duffy's miskick as he slipped.

A terrible day for VAR all round but at least they got that one right.

The Leicester /Man City pen/non pen was a farce and the 2 incidents a direct contradiction of each other. Bournemouth were very unlucky and if the VAR ref thinks they were handball (via the arm) he needs an anatomy lesson.

The Leicester /Man City pen/non pen was a farce and the 2 incidents a direct contradiction of each other. Bournemouth were very unlucky and if the VAR ref thinks they were handball (via the arm) he needs an anatomy lesson.

I thought that the Leicester/Man City decisions were correct, as Praet's arms were away from his body, but de Bruyne was just protecting his face. There is a lack of consistency with handball and VAR though. Bournemouth were absolutely screwed by it, as both of their goals should have stood.