MATCH DAY THREAD : Fulham v The Mighty Blades | Page 8 | Vital Football

MATCH DAY THREAD : Fulham v The Mighty Blades

Wilder must know the problems but the players he has brought in are not capable of covering for tiredness injuries loss of form. His loan choice of Ampadu has proven to be poor.I wonder what Loftus Cheek playing along side a fit Fleck would have done to our points tally.

And if you don't try you lose anyway FKB. I didn't rate the ref and will never rate the VAR ref yesterday.
It was a penalty mate , I agree
Even if we did get a draw, that would have only papered of the cracks of a really poor performance

What I don't get about hoofball is what the team is trying to achieve by it.....if we were trying to achieve knockons - the other striker has to stay close (which Billy wasn't most of the time). And if we were trying to win the second ball - the midfield needed to be up with play - which they weren't.

So a really pointless tactic that handed the initiative to Fulham without a wimper.

The team is tired, physically and mentally - and deflated. Something needs changing up urgently.

That would have put us on 12 pts Chips.

What a springboard to go on a good run and stay up.:cry:
Not my point TT. If the goalie had been given a red and we had equalised then we would had had 7 minutes to score against 10 men and a makeshift goalie.

Even if we did get a draw, that would have only papered of the cracks of a really poor performance
Just said this to TT but it was a double-footed lunge. Red card, 1-1 with a outfield player in goal and 7 minutes to find a possible winner.

What I don't get about hoofball is what the team is trying to achieve by it.....if we were trying to achieve knockons - the other striker has to stay close (which Billy wasn't most of the time). And if we were trying to win the second ball - the midfield needed to be up with play - which they weren't.

So a really pointless tactic that handed the initiative to Fulham without a wimper.

The team is tired, physically and mentally - and deflated. Something needs changing up urgently.
We have no choice as our midfield is so technically poor they cannot control the ball or are good enough to give themselves that crucial 2 seconds to look round. Teams have worked out that if they press our central midfield 3 we panic and the supply line is cut off. Hence we revert to hoof.
Really depressing to see and watch. We have really missed a fit and firing Fleck with Lunny and Norwood not anywhere near Premiership standard.
Compare that with Rueben Lotus Cheek, that is a player of high quality. I really hope he stays at Fulham rather than warming the bench at Chelsea.

Just said this to TT but it was a double-footed lunge. Red card, 1-1 with a outfield player in goal and 7 minutes to find a possible winner.
They would just sub a keeper on for an outfield player unless they had already used all their subs which I’m not sure either way whether they had or not

Not my point TT. If the goalie had been given a red and we had equalised then we would had had 7 minutes to score against 10 men and a makeshift goalie.
I agree re the ludicrous decision Chips and would have loved us to go on and get the winner- but I had to be in bed by 2.00 am and, with what has passed before, I 'd have been snoring loudly by the time Billy & McB actually passed to each other, never mind score.

After last season, I was really hoping that we would find another run of form. Lord knows we need a distraction from the rest of the crap going on. Where did it all go wrong..? After much thought, I say, the signing of Sander Berge. We paid a huge sum and bust the wage structure for a very talented player, but it burst the bubble for us in midfield, playing him week in week out when he was a long way off the pace for (they say...) £40k a week, while Johnny Lundsram is on (they say...) £7k. No wonder he wanted a better contract. You can see favourites being picked week after week despite performances elsewhere in the pitch. Shankley said the challenge in management is keeping the 11 players happy who aren't getting a game. It doesn't take much for the dressing room mentality to change, and this is where I think it did for us.

Go on, tell me I'm wrong...
I‘ve had this discussion several times over the past few months and that does seem one of the more likely theories. I’ve seen staff/ management relationships fall apart over a few pounds, let alone tens of £thousands.

The only thing that casts doubt on it is that we won 4 drew and drew the other one after Berge’s debut at Palace. The season was then paused and the lacklustre performances really began when games restarted behind closed doors. Maybe it took a while for the wage situation to sink in and they all brooded about it during lockdown?

I think there’s also a possibility that this set of players just can’t deliver that extra % without fans urging them on. Maybe as a group they’re not technically good enough compared to most other PL teams or they just can’t run that extra mile that’s needed playing like we do without supporters encouraging them? You’ve only got to watch a game without the canned fan noise to realise what a god dam awful atmosphere it is.

No doubt it’ll all come out in the wash one day, but I really hope we don‘t let the past 6 months of dross completely destroy the previous 4 years of progress we’d had under Wilder. There’s a 15% chance of any club being relegated every PL season and we’re one of the 3 going down in 2021. Its a game and they’re the rules. It’s what we do next season and how we do it on a more familiar stage that should be our main concern now (IMO) but will Wilder still be here then? These are worrying and crucial times for Wilder, the club and fans alike.

Last edited:
Yes it was a poor performance but it was a penalty,Enda missed a sitter and Billy cudda/shudda scored,that said Fulham deserved the win.WE all know, or most of us know we're down and it's looked unlikely we'd survive since before Xmas but i suppose if/when fans are allowed back into grounds we won't be hearing as many moaning about not gettin a ticket for away games.UTMPB

I agree re the ludicrous decision Chips and would have loved us to go on and get the winner- but I had to be in bed by 2.00 am and, with what has passed before, I 'd have been snoring loudly by the time Billy & McB actually passed to each other, never mind score.
Being tired is no excuse :( )