Match day programme. | Vital Football

Match day programme.

clanfordimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Wasn't aware that clubs were obliged to produce a match day programme.
Now that rule has been revoked do you think we will still produce a programme.
Personally never buy one home or away and not sure about the costs involved as to whether they are financially viable.
Won't make any difference to me if we didnt have one but can understand that some fans would miss it if we didn't produce one.

I know there are still some who are collectors of these but in this internet age they are something that would inevitably have faded out.

They are probably only relevant now for special occasion matches such as the Checkatrade final.

Perhaps rather than a matchday programme as such perhaps a season preview could be produced once the fixtures are set. I realise that keeping this a fresh thing would be difficult with comings and goings right up to the seasons start but it may be something people may want as a season souvenir. Maybe even one at the seasons end as well . DVD's are all well and good but little snippets and stats are always better on paper

Speaking for myself, I can't do without a programme when I go to a match - and I mean a printed one and not a downloadable one - but I can foresee that one day they'll go the same way as the likes of the Football Echo.

What worries me slightly is that people assume electronic media will always be there to access, but that is far from true. Try accessing anything regarding Lincoln City on the Echo site prior to last summer, for instance. It has all gone, wiped from public access when they moved to their new web platform (Mark Whiley told me he could still access it internally, but it had been lost to public view).

A lot of my quiz questions come from old programmes. As I am sure Merthyr Imp will agree, the old programmes contain a vast wealth of club history that exists nowhere else and will probably be lost forever when we all go face up and our possessions are sent to a landfill site near you.

I am being slightly hypocritical here, because I tend not to buy programmes now. However, I am very glad I have the ones I do.

We assume the internet age is a marvellous thing and will preserve everything for posterity, but it won't.

Speaking for myself, I can't do without a programme when I go to a match - and I mean a printed one and not a downloadable one - but I can foresee that one day they'll go the same way as the likes of the Football Echo.
Amongst my collection are Rotherham issues in newspaper format.

We definitely should do a programme but let's cut the price to £2
Or INCLUDE a 50/50 tkt with each one.

For the contents, i would like much more on players' stats....current season....LCFC career....player's overall career.
And full list of matches against that day's opponents.

I always buy one each game. I would hope they are kept on but they have to be viable-if not they should be discontinued.However many buy one along with 50/50 tickets -if the programmes were stopped it could have a knock on effect on these.
Just a word about the efforts to sell any unsold programmes during the game-sellers should do more than walk at bottom of the stadium,often not even looking up for any potential purchasers. They need to get up the aisles,even on the upper co-op to stand a chance. They also need to target away fans not ignore them completely.

Make them smaller in size so they roll up into an inside pocket easier, and not so thick. They are turning into 56 page coffee table glossy magazines. Make em 8 pages, 12 tops.

Well i like the programme(home ones ).
Get to the ground early(for a seat in the TP bar)get a programme (from the club shop)and read DCs notes etc etc.With my pint and lincs hot dog!

Im not sure its a hugely profitable at £3
But anymore and i believe it will sell less ! Before our recent upturn in fortunes i believe a figure of 1500 were printed per game! I assume more are printed now!

What worries me slightly is that people assume electronic media will always be there to access, but that is far from true. Try accessing anything regarding Lincoln City on the Echo site prior to last summer, for instance. It has all gone, wiped from public access when they moved to their new web platform

We assume the internet age is a marvellous thing and will preserve everything for posterity, but it won't.

I'm not all that well up on these matters but I believe there are one or two ways to save old web pages. I suppose the sort of person who saves all their programmes (me!) is the sort who would go to the trouble of saving web pages by whatever means is possible. But I imagine it's a bit more work than simply placing a printed copy of a programme on a shelf.

There was a suggestion at Merthyr Town a few years ago that people could receive the programme pages on pdf files, so that would easily make them saveable. However, nothing was done about it. I don't know what the latest thinking is now on producing digital programmes - maybe it's moved on from that.

Make them smaller in size so they roll up into an inside pocket easier, and not so thick. They are turning into 56 page coffee table glossy magazines. Make em 8 pages, 12 tops.
That massively limits the amount of adverts in it then though, which is what, about 50% of the content? Rough guess, I don't buy them - too much clutter at home already. Do the folk who always buy one keep them all?

That massively limits the amount of adverts in it then though, which is what, about 50% of the content? Rough guess, I don't buy them - too much clutter at home already. Do the folk who always buy one keep them all?
I do keep them! They get put in the garage loft in a box!?