The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

He did alright. He's never going to wow us with sparkling passing or bursting into the box. He does make interceptions and tackles though. Luiz is a more complete player though and I'll be glad when he's back.

He was fine. No N'Golo Kante, but he did a job on his first start of the season.

Honestly, I do wonder about Villa fans.

Critique is the essence of football and this site! 😂

True, we look for someone to blame but apart from one blunder and a couple of daft free kicks given away, he did well. Shots 27 with 20 on target is more the ratio to win games. Our ratio was more like you see in a kid’s game

Played well tonight but as I posted on the match thread, he won’t get an easier match all season. Didn’t have a great deal to break up and Newcastle rarely pressed us, so whenever he had the ball he had all the time in the world.

Again , like numerous others, deserves his chance in a team that is not newly promoted, has a load of new players to bring together and is fighting relegation.

Targett being a shining example of one who was struggling last season and has benefited this season.

Terrific performance last night from him with the caveat that Newcastle were dreadful and it was an easy ride and there will be teams that press him far more . That’s not his fault though . Can only play the opponents in front of him.

Last edited:
I thought he did everything asked of him last night. I did expect him to be a little rusty, but thankfully not a sign of rustiness. For me, he was up there with 2 or 3 others a possible MotM.

Obviously some of the new boys have done really well, particularly Martinez & Ollie
Some of last year's buys stepped up after Lockdown, particularly Konsa, Luiz & Trez
Some of last year's buys have stepped up this season, particularly Targett

But also some of the 'not good enough' bench warmers have come in and played well
Marvellous has come in and played well.
Hause came in and played well
El G has done okay, Elmo too

Obviously tactics/organisation, confidence, better players around them all make a massive difference
But is the big change in fitness ? Targett looks strong now.
We are now the team scoring at the end not the one under seige for the last 15 minutes

A lot of work has gone into stringing passes together. Last season players had to stop and see who was ready for a pass; this season they expect them to be. Doesn't always work, but mainly it does and it speeds up play a lot. Think Marv has benefitted from that. When he moves it on quickly it's to players who can take it on.

We're going to benefit from this sort of squad depth.

He knows what he's good at and what he's not so good at. Win tackles, make interceptions, get the ball to someone who can do something with it quickly and without fuss. A very good player to have in the squad for games like Arsenal when we might not have as much possession but need more steel.

The question to ask is .
Did we noticeably miss Luiz yesterday?.
Not in my humble we didn’t . And I’m a big Duggie fan from the start.

Should start next week. He has earned it. I think at the moment it should be between SJM and Luiz. I think the role Marvelous plays brings us more balance maybe.

The question to ask is .
Did we noticeably miss Luiz yesterday?.
Not in my humble we didn’t . And I’m a big Duggie fan from the start.

Should start next week. He has earned it. I think at the moment it should be between SJM and Luiz. I think the role Marvelous plays brings us more balance maybe.

Certainly more protection for the defence.

Douglas is a more attacking defensive midfield player if you know what I mean lol.

When he keeps it simple he looks fine, my concerns with Marv are when he has to play a bit. His passing looks suspect if he has to play it more than 10 yards. Certainly a solid squad player though and we need options to enable more rotation