The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

I have yet to see evidence that we have done ok with our signings. We are 2nd from bottom and on a downward trajectory .

It is rank amateur signing so many players that needed to 'step up'.

Not one sense. In every sense it has been a gamble.
We had a choice to mix the likes of Marvelous with experience. We chose not to . We look awful .

I suppose we could have signed Danny last summer. He's got experience. :grinning:

I think he's great - reminds me of Idrissa Gueye, who pretty much everyone slated when he was with us. And he's not turned out too badly, has he?

Pretty much, he gets exposed at times because of poor players around him, just like Gueye. Both had dodgy distribution here at times but that was because they were surrounded by thickos who wouldn't get close enough to receive the ball.

Pretty much, he gets exposed at times because of poor players around him, just like Gueye. Both had dodgy distribution here at times but that was because they were surrounded by thickos who wouldn't get close enough to receive the ball.
Too often,he was a one man midfield. He looked poor at times but the tactical naievity from Dean and his staff left many of us bemused as he was exposed time after time. Overall,a rare plus and a player there.

He flatters to deceive for me. He has a decent game followed by an absolute stinker. Too often caught out of position and having to chase around because of it. Considering as a defensive midfielder he has a key role to play in he overall defensive strength of the team and seeing how weak we look defensively I think he has to be seen as partly culpable for that

This was recently posted on bbc mail.
According to the statistics used, it rates nakamba quite highly in terms of interceptions and tackles.
What do you guys make of it?
Are the stats reliable?

0BA4DCAD-E249-42BD-B029-F32511B5127D.jpeg

According to the statistics used, it rates nakamba quite highly in terms of interceptions and tackles.
Are the stats reliable?

I do rate Marv but I don't think he is good enough just yet. He needs much more time on the training ground to pass better.

I believe in stats but they need context. 3 of the top 5 names play for the bottom 6. Chelsea are defensively porous and naive, both Kante and Jorginho are high on the list.

Its one of those tables thats very difficult to read. I think what most of the top 5 players have in common is that their team has almost solely relied on them to do the defensive work (except Bournemouth Lerma is supposed to be their destroyer, I think it shows he is just a ticking time bomb). Billing is high on that list, I am sure he is fairly useless and he's not supposed to be a defensive player. Leceister had a disastrous run without Ndidi but our last 10 games without Marv went well.

Are the stats reliable?

View attachment 41420
Personally I've never bothered with stats but a blind man on a galloping horse can see he cuts out so much stuff and is one of the few who actually tackles in the Villa side he has quick feet and. He dwells to long on the ball sometimes which is the same as Luiz used to do but he will come good, Happy to have the ball anywhere on the pitch which is always a good sign.

Marvs a weird one. When we’re ontop he keeps us in their half with his excellent pressing. When we’re sat deep he looks poor. Strange for a DM.

He’s not particularly strong either. Billing destroyed him and he’s, well, Billing.

Marvs a weird one. When we’re ontop he keeps us in their half with his excellent pressing. When we’re sat deep he looks poor. Strange for a DM.

He’s not particularly strong either. Billing destroyed him and he’s, well, Billing.

To be fair Billing is 6ft6 so he'd beat most midfielders for strength.

He's a pretty good player, does the defensive stuff well, we failed to get enough bodies around him for the easier pass as well. Same with Gueye in many ways, he was criticised for not being good on the ball but again it was cos of a static midfield around him.

We'd be mad to let Nakamba go.

It doesnt surprise me that he's split fan opinion, he's got attributes that many people look for in a good old fashioned anchor man but lacks ability in many areas of his game. I don't think he's shockingly bad, but I also don't think we would be mad to get rid. Like people said above, he's good at pressing, full of energy, not bad at tackling.

But also, as people have said above, lacks strength, dreadful on the ball, no footballing intelligence whatsoever.

People saying he needs to be surrounded by better players doesn't work for me. This is modern football, every position on the pitch is being optimised in terms of player ability and performance. Ball playing centre backs, ball playing goalkeepers, creative full backs, goalscoring wingers.

Douglas Luiz is a far more intelligent defender, makes clever fouls and interceptions because he can predict the next 5, 10, 30 seconds of play. But Dougy also offers something going forward. Excellent range of passing, a goal threat, intelligence on the ball.

Nakamba will never be good enough to replace Douglas in the team and there isnt room for two of them in a 4-3-3. If Douglas was injured and replaced by Nakamba, the drop in footballing quality in the side would be damaging and the rest of the side would have to work so much harder when in possession.

In my opinion, Nakamba has a place in the squad next season for the exact role he was used for in the final few games. Bring him on to play beside Douglas when we are ahead in a game and the opposition are dominating possession. Or start him in a 4-2-3-1 beside Douglas in games where the opposition have a far stronger midfield such as City and United.

In time, I think he will need to be replaced with a player closer to the abilities of Douglas Luiz, Fernandinho, Fabinho, Rice etc.

Marv has no place in an improved first eleven. I just don't see that level of class. He's a useful player to have on the bench though as he is energetic and honest - good enough to keep things tight for 20 minutes when that's needed, instead of a more expansive player.