Martin H Gregory | Vital Football

Martin H Gregory

terry2013

Vital Newbie
I used to work for Jim Gregory way back, I remember his sons too, more so Martin!! Martin was well quiet way back then, didn't do a lot for his high wages but I guess enjoyed his fathers money. I remember Martin's very young children calling Mechanics 'dirty garage man' I remember seeing Martins face go red with embarrassment. I was involved with the Gregory family on and off for many many years, they had this label of being asset strippers in the business world and I saw how they operate first hand. Ask anyone that used to work at Cole & Kirby (Renault dealers) Stanmore in the 90's what the Gregory's did!! In fact I have lots of dirt and first hand knowledgeable account of things with that family. I recall having to get out of bed in the very early hours of the morning and drive to a health farm in Grayshott that Jim Gregory used to go because he (Jim Gregory) had a serious argument with his then chauffeur (Eric Rumbold) in his Bentley. The chauffeur pulled the car over in the middle of nowhere and got out leaving a very very drunk Mr Gregory sitting in the passenger seat!! Mr Gregory then got out and got into the drivers side of the Bentley and drove off!! I collected Eric Rumbold from the local village police station and drove him home to Balham london. Oh they were the days.........

Interesting first post Terry.

Do hope to hear more from you as we look to the positives of this era, altho a little bit of dirt dished isnt ever turned down by anyone is it :71:

I haven't seen Martin in years.........how come there aren't any photo's or press releases of him when he was Chairman way back..........Yeah I could write an interesting paperback book with what I know about that Gregory clan. Its a shame the media wasn't made fully aware of what Mr J Gregory died of either, it was just reported that he died due to ill health, ha.....little do they know!!!!........ Brian Henson, John Provost, Peter Hinckenson were just a few of the Gregory's ass-kissers BUT at the same time s**** scared of JG when he was alive. Actually JG got turned over a few times by the people he thought he could trust in many of his subsidiary companies, Moons Motors, James Young, James Young Car Hire, Blue Star Garages to name a few endured fraudulent losses of money from people that wanted that little be extra from JG if you know what I mean.

Seems our club is riddled with dirt throughout the ages .. luckily now we are at least in our own hands and a lot more transparent eh ... What do you think of the current set up compared to what you've experienced in the past terry ?

BTW I was actually stunned when I learned that Martin Gregory took over the role as Portsmouth FC Chairman. I remember when his father purchased a property in Richmond surrey and turned it into a prestigious car lot and named it Martin H Gregory. The place was fully of Rolls, Bentley, Range Rover, Ferrari, Porsche and yep Martin F***** it all up and lost big money lololol!! No education as such or business background and I got the impression he wasn't really keen on learning from his father. Mr J Gregory was a Jekyll and Hyde character more so when under the influence of the Champagne he'd guzzle down in the evenings!!

I haven't really followed Portsmouth to be honest with you since I lost all ties with the Gregory's, so I don't know anything about its current setup or who exactly ended up buying the whole setup from the Gregory's or for what price. My thoughts on Portsmouth FC away from the grasps of the Gregory clan is that it has to be good news for the club on a whole. I do hope that the club can regain its popularity and achievements it once had as I feel the Gregory's ruined the club when they owned it. It might take a few years but I am sure Portsmouth will bounce back provided the current owners seriously invest and take the owning of a football cub very seriously. I think the Gregory's thought that owning a football club would be good for their family image rather than invest in the correct ways that they should have done in the first place to turn the club into something special, they ran that club into the ground!!

ah OK Terry .. so you nothing of the club after the Gregory's left .. Ok well in context to what came after Terry Gregory was a naughty school boy compared to some of the gangsters we've had in the club since then.

Would agree that in comparisom the he was a schoolboy.

Our problems since the Gregory's are well documented arent they but (and I am not having a go at you terry) I am looking to the here and now, and hopefully positive future, from now on all being well...

Diabetes is such a bad illness, and on the increase. A history of it in my family, sadly my mum's brother died due to this, her father too and she has this as well...

Chances are that I, or one (or more) of my brothers and sister could become diabetic down the line.

Is controlable of course!

Guys, Schoolboy kind of sums him up lololol. I remember seeing Martin in his plush Office in Alton House Holdings (then the head offices of JG), stacks of newspapers, Magazines, scissors and some kiddies glue on his desk cutting out stuff from these and gluing them into a scrapbook, apparently for his then 2 children (girls). No idea what exactly he was cutting out or sticking in the scrapbook but it seemed rather odd to me that his life at that time appeared so boring and that he definitely had no real interest in all his fathers businesses. Actually come to think of it the Gregory's were an odd family, no real friends as such, I'd call them loners to be exact, didn't trust anyone really.

JG (Jim Gregory) had been diagnosed with blood poisoning, at that time it had affected one of his legs, the leg was swiftly amputated, from thereon JG's health went into a serious decline. Having high blood pressure as well as other health issues JG demise soon came about. As mentioned in another posting of mine, the Gregory's were known as asset strippers, I had seen this action first hand and I am sure Portsmouth FC was bought by JG not for his love of football as it was so often reported but for the land the grounds stood on. At that time rumors flying around Alton House Holdings where the intentions of building homes on that land.

The decent hard working folks those Gregory's stood on to get what they wanted goes far beyond belief, no one out there knows the real truth of how this family operated. Media was continually fed shit the Gregory's wanted them to hear and print stories if you like of utter bullshit, just like the families B/S concerning the real cause of JG demise.

I am a true believer of what goes around eventually comes around, Gregory got his comeuppance in the end and the hammer is still slowly falling on his son Martin, hence the many many companies his father once had have now been dissolved!!

BTW I forgot to mention, Blood poisoning led to the gangrene that led to the eventual decision to amputate the limb.

JG (Jim Gregory) had been diagnosed with blood poisoning which led to Gangrene to one of his legs, the leg was swiftly amputated, from thereon JG's health went into a serious decline. Having high blood pressure as well as other health issues, JG demise soon came about.

The immediate family decided to keep it all hush hush from the press so only a few people really knew the truth, more so JG's personal chauffeur (Mr Eric Rumbold) who JG relied on so much and spoke openly about many many family issues, personal issues and business deals!!

I'm sorry to learn that nothing changed for the better when the club changed hands after the Gregorys. Hoping Portsmouth FC has a bright future from now on.

Vital Pompey, bringing people together!

Plenty of interesting reading in this thread, firmly agree with the what goes around comes around thoughts...

Pompeyrug, I am rather chuffed you have found my postings interesting as originally I thought that people wouldn't of wanted to be reminded of the past during the Gregory's reign at Portsmouth. Besides that fact, its been many years now since Martin Gregory quit the club and perhaps people are wondering why would I be making such postings regarding things that happened many years ago or speaking about the Gregory's? I thought what the hell!!

Like I said in a past posting here, I could write a paperback book with some real juicy bits (the truth).

Hi tpedro, not sure if we know one another but our paths might have briefly crossed at some point :). To perhaps help your memory about Gregory selling cars in Wembley with someone called Les, wasn't he called Les Smith by any chance or Les Norris (I believe people used to call him Norris though, I may be wrong??

I remember meeting a Les way back, seemed a rather shady little man, gap between his front teeth and he liked to wear suits with a thicker white pinstripe. He also came across to me as a joker, liked to crack jokes. When I met Les he was driving an old RR Shadow one in a real crappy brown colour lolol and came across to me as a has been so to speak.

Hmmmm Peter and Paul surnames have seemingly gone from my memory and I am kicking myself hard over that, trust me their names do ring a bell. Something is pushing me to think of this Peter John O'neill but I may be wrong. BTW, was it Paul Rosen or Paul Norris???

I remember another shady character David Blackford, was a millionaire then lost it all, JG (Jim Gregory) for some reason continued to help him get back on his feet but I think David eventually turned over JG for a few hundred thousand quid. Funny enough JG really liked David (reasons unknown) but rumors had it that David had some serious hold over JG and could therefore get JG to agree to virtually whatever David wanted. What David always wanted was cash!!

I also remember working with a Peter, surname unknown, he became principle car buyer for the Blue Star Garage group. He had 'if you like' an open cheque book to purchase vehicles. I was working with him as his assistant BUT I had to report to JG on what we had purchased and so on, JG often pumped me for information about peter etc etc. Peter and I would do Warren Street in London daily, gosh there I met some real shady people I can tell you, we'd do the many car auctions BUT Peter just didn't purchase anything, it was like he was afraid to spend!!

I did hear a story about JG getting knocked out and had to chuckle at that, not hard to imagine though huh lolol.

tpedro, I have also just remembered the name Peter Britton, he was also working for JG at the then head offices (Alton House Holdings in Roehampton)

Certainly something different terry I will give you that and also interesting to get a different insight into another era.