Marshall | Page 2 | Vital Football

Marshall

Just saw highlights myself Mulgrew looked terrible positionally from the clips and I see exactly what you mean about 2nd goal. I think Marshall could've got accross better but seemed to bottle it and stop short to avoid impact from incoming player.

Didn't watch full thing so not fair to judge them on 5ms of highlights but what they showed was not inspiring.

Not being funny KDZ but two people who watched the whole match just told you they played well and off 5 mins highlights you've basically said they were shite.

Watched majority of the game and as was said above they both were 2 of the better performers and weren't at fault for either goal.

Not being funny KDZ but two people who watched the whole match just told you they played well and off 5 mins highlights you've basically said they were shite.

Watched majority of the game and as was said above they both were 2 of the better performers and weren't at fault for either goal.

But the highlights show the definitive moments that win or cost you games. If you play well for 88 mins but make a handful of costly errors in the 2 mins you don't get the points.

On the clips I saw there seemed a few errors from Mulgrew and it seemed both could've done better on the winner from the replays. Maybe those 3 or 4 mistakes from Mulgrew and 1 from Marshall were the only mistakes they made - but they were still mistakes that could've/ did cost them.

Just saw highlights myself Mulgrew looked terrible positionally from the clips and I see exactly what you mean about 2nd goal. I think Marshall could've got accross better but seemed to bottle it and stop short to avoid impact from incoming player.

Didn't watch full thing so not fair to judge them on 5ms of highlights but what they showed was not inspiring.
Make your mind up,in the first paragraph you say Marshall could have got across to it and indeed bottled it!
Second paragraph you say you only saw the highlights and it would not be fair to judge them!
Which one is it and if you are not sure why make a comment anyway?

Make your mind up,in the first paragraph you say Marshall could have got across to it and indeed bottled it!
Second paragraph you say you only saw the highlights and it would not be fair to judge them!
Which one is it and if you are not sure why make a comment anyway?

I don't understand why you don't think both can be true statements.

I gave my opinion on Marshall not getting anywhere near the winning goal when I think he pulled up short but I don't know how he did over the rest of the game he might have been good for the rest with just that bad mistake spoiling it or he might have been all over the place and that goal was one of many bad errors. I judged what I saw myself but since I'm not going to watch the rest i asked if anyone had for their judgement on the rest.

You said he bottled it,a opinion you came to watching highlights!
You then said it would not be fair to judge someone just off watching highlights!
Surely you can see problem in your post?
You judged someone off the highlights then said you should not judge someone off the highlights!

You said he bottled it,a opinion you came to watching highlights!
You then said it would not be fair to judge someone just off watching highlights!
Surely you can see problem in your post?
You judged someone off the highlights then said you should not judge someone off the highlights!

No you are misinterpreting what I said. I said the bit I saw I think he bottled it - I watched in back a couple of times for me he could've done more but pulled back rather than risk getting clattered.

I can judge what I have seen which is 5 mins of 85, but my caveat was it's not fair for me to judge the remaining 85 mins of his performance which I haven't seen - which is why I originally asked.

Regardless of what he does in the other 85 mins that attempted save was poor and id be going mad if he did that for us but it would be unfair to say if he had a good game with one bad mistake or a nightmare start to finish.

I don't care one iota what he did in that game, as long as he performs to the same standard that he did against Barnsley.

I don't care one iota what he did in that game, as long as he performs to the same standard that he did against Barnsley.

I'm with you on that Dragnet.
He could let 5 in every match for the sweaties for all I care.
It's how he performs for us that matters, and against Barnsley he made at least two outstanding saves, lets hope he keeps up that standard from now on.

But the highlights show the definitive moments that win or cost you games. If you play well for 88 mins but make a handful of costly errors in the 2 mins you don't get the points.

On the clips I saw there seemed a few errors from Mulgrew and it seemed both could've done better on the winner from the replays. Maybe those 3 or 4 mistakes from Mulgrew and 1 from Marshall were the only mistakes they made - but they were still mistakes that could've/ did cost them.

So in 5 minutes highlights you spotted all those mistakes. Give over! I think you're being over analytical and trying to find fault where there is none. None of the two could have prevented any of the two goals.

So in 5 minutes highlights you spotted all those mistakes. Give over! I think you're being over analytical and trying to find fault where there is none. None of the two could have prevented any of the two goals.

Watch the winner back - Mulgrew could've made it accross cleared that cross comfortably if he sprinted into the expected path of the cross but he slowly jogged putting himself in no man's land when he should've shown some urgency with the ball in the danger zone - he wasn't marking anyone just ball watching. It was like he didn't realise anyone was potentially coming in at the back post so didn't think he needed to make the effort to cut out the cross. That was shocking for any defender at any level he just turned off.

Marshall is virtually on the floor before the ball even reaches the striker and he's not at full stretch - looks like he pulls out to avoid the impact with the incoming striker. If he got accross like he could have at full stretch maybe the Russian lad would still have scored but Marshall would've had a chance of saving it compared to the half hearted attempt he made.

I don't care what they do at international level but if they both let in that goal for us I'd be seething. I was hoping they'd maybe have a good mistake free game and get some confidence up but that winner if nothing else reflects badly on both imo.

No deep analysis nedded it was glaringly obvious.

Well it obviously wasn't that glaringly obvious as, from your comments, you have clearly watched the goals more than once. Kind of odd considering you're "not bothered" about how they performed for Scotland.

Well it obviously wasn't that glaringly obvious as, from your comments, you have clearly watched the goals more than once. Kind of odd considering you're "not bothered" about how they performed for Scotland.

No it was glaringly obvious - i saw it once and thought 'that looks really bad' but i watched it back a couple of times to double check i wasn't being unfair after some folks on here said they weren't at fault but it was as it appeared on first glance a screw up from both imo.

I'm not bothered in the least how they performed for Scotland in the sense it makes no impact on Wigans standing, but i was wondering if 2 of our players who had not exactly shone so far looked any better for them than us. You can be curious about how it went without caring about the result.

Have you watched the goal back - do you still think Marshall and Mulgrew couldn't have done any better?

KDZ , Scotland now on sky sports.
Currently losing 0-1 to Belgium , didn't see the goal so no idea who was to blame.
Will update later.
EDIT: seen it, sometimes you've got to credit the opposition.

Last edited:
0-3 down on 32mins , two goals from corners !!
Second goal, Marshall might have done better.
Third goal , Charlie should have done better.

Its going to be a long night.

0-3 down on 32mins , two goals from corners !!
Second goal, Marshall might have done better.
Third goal , Charlie should have done better.

Its going to be a long night.

Just saw them myself I thought Marshall wasn't at fault for any of them, Mulgrew was touch tight on the 3rd but let the guy score with the header so you've got to fault him for that - don't think he could've stopped any of the other goals but positionally he was a bit iffy again from the highlights. Unfortunately I see a lot of the critasisms the Blackburn fans mentioned in Mulgrew showing.

No it was glaringly obvious - i saw it once and thought 'that looks really bad' but i watched it back a couple of times to double check i wasn't being unfair after some folks on here said they weren't at fault but it was as it appeared on first glance a screw up from both imo.

I'm not bothered in the least how they performed for Scotland in the sense it makes no impact on Wigans standing, but i was wondering if 2 of our players who had not exactly shone so far looked any better for them than us. You can be curious about how it went without caring about the result.

Have you watched the goal back - do you still think Marshall and Mulgrew couldn't have done any better?

I watched it live and they showed about 3 replays after. Not seen it since. All just seems a bit over analytical to me. Did Marshall drop the ball and therefore a major bollock? No. Did Mulgrew let a ball between his legs that Russia scored from? No. For me that's a major cock-up that I'd be "seething" about if they played for us.

Could they have both done better for the goals? Possibly, if you go into all the Sky/Gary Neville style analysis and say they could've been 6 inches more one way or the other but neither goal was their 'fault' so to speak and it didn't strike fear into me as to how they might do for us. Plus you have to give credit to the international level players they were playing against, sometimes there's nowt you can do.

Marshall was voted man of the match for Scotland in most papers so he can't have been that bad.