Mark Hughes | Vital Football

Mark Hughes

Rexn

Vital Champions League
Allegedly set to be announced as manager of the Saints.

I'm struggling to remember when a manager can have been in charge of 2 relegated teams in a season. Any others?

It is baffling how these failures keep getting jobs, how many clubs has Hughes gotten sacked from? Stoke, QPR, Fulham, City, Blackburn and Wales. Did they all show him the door?

In all fairness, he didn't do badly with Wales, Blackburn and Fulham, getting those last 2 into Europe.

Ironically, having got a reputation for building a dirty team at Blackburn, he got Fulham into Europe through the Fair Play League.

His record at clubs isn’t too bad in all honesty. Usually finished in the top half. However, I believe he has still lost more games than won and thus a failure on the shite manager merry go round

Just as a quirk, he has won 223 games and lost 212. Having said that, his stats at QPR and Stoke (W79 L101)have put a dent in his previous record.

The fact is the same serial managerial failures keep getting jobs in the premier league, why don't they give a go to some lower league managers.

To be honest, isn't it the same run of the mill clubs doing the roundabout of the same run of the mill managers? Occasionally one gets a better job and screws up. It's the leagues within leagues principle.

It costs a country's GDP to enter the 'big five/six' and be at the top. Next you've the survivors - Expensive, and they lose money striving. Then you've got the yo-yo's. A lot of us on here would suggest that is what Ashley has done to NUFC because get it right and you make a lot of money.

Really, these managers are on this same gravy train. Look at the current bottom five; managed in declining order by Moyes, now Hughes, Hodgson, Lambert and finally Pardew.

Rexn - 15/3/2018 16:10

Just as a quirk, he has won 223 games and lost 212. Having said that, his stats at QPR and Stoke (W79 L101)have put a dent in his previous record.

Apologies. I was going off his PL record.

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/2639/Mark-Hughes/overview

Not a problem. He did have some good cup runs earlier in his career, I think a final, reaching 2 semis (albeit sacked before the semi took place) and did well in Europe with Blackburn.

I just see him as one of the merry go round that will never achieve anything, eventually get sacked and move on to next club down that end of the table.

Would prefer to see some younger managers come through and try to shake things up a bit. Guess it’s all about the money though. Owners just want the TV loot and hope for 17th each year.

Officemonkey - 16/3/2018 19:51

I just see him as one of the merry go round that will never achieve anything, eventually get sacked and move on to next club down that end of the table.

Would prefer to see some younger managers come through and try to shake things up a bit. Guess it’s all about the money though. Owners just want the TV loot and hope for 17th each year.
I'm with you on that. Eddie Howe is a breath of fresh air. Gary Monk is one who could go the same way as Pards or actually end up as a good manager. Nigel Adkins had promise but make have been dealt an impatient hand. Aidy Boothroyd wasn't given time to develop but has done well with the England youth. Similarly Keith Downing and Paul Simpson (who had the misfortune of being linked to McLaren) have won trophies as coaches in their own right.

The way to do it is as Chris Hughton has done, take a team up and keep them there but it needs a supportive board, as Burnley have been with Dyche. Paul Clement is another who might consider himself unlucky.

Managerial change means that out of Pards, Hughes, Allardyce, Hodgson, Lambert and Moyes, only 3, or half, will be relegated so the other routine failures will be seen as a success.