Mark Byrne | Vital Football

Mark Byrne

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member
Sounds highly promising. :7:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/irishman-seals-gills-deal-97421/

<p>A mix of fairly promising and underwhelming - but then maybe you can't really look at this one signing on it's own. It'll be interesting to see who else we sign to see how JED is going to set out the team, and how he's going to use Byrne. I think most see him as a direct replacement for Loft. While certainly he'll be cheaper, Loft was a good player IMO but the description seems to fit with Loft's style as well. I would qualify the following with the fact I know very little about the player and don't think i've seen him play so of course I'm certainly not damning him or expecting amazing things just because of a few things i've seen written in an article. <br /><br /><strong>Good points:</strong><br /><br />- He dominated Newport?s end of season awards, picking up seven trophies. Clearly a stand out performer in an otherwise fairly poor team?<br />- He's worked under JED before, so JED clearly knows a) what he's capable of and b) his personality and will be able to work well with him.</p><p>- He's their captain soclearly gives the leadership we were sorely lacking at times this year.<br /><br /><strong>Bad Points<br /></strong>- He played in a side that battled relegation last year so it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that he will make the grade at the top of League 1.</p><p>- He's 27 and has never played at a higher level than League 2.<br />- He's described as a combative midfielder? Do we need another one of these if we have Wright?</p>

I rated Loft too but his fitness record wasn't good. Byrne doesn't appear to miss many games and has plenty of experience. The manager clearly wanted him from way back and we still don't know whether Wright will resign for us. Looks a good signing on paper.

As with any new signing I'll give him a chance to show his stuff, hope he does well and follows in Hess seniors footsteps.

AK, to be honest mate i wouldn't call Wright combative at all. We looked really weak in midfield at times last season.

Sounds promising, certainly a replacement for Loft who had a rough time with us but I also thought he was a good player when fit. Hopefully Byrne will bring some sort of tenacity to our midfield which we've been lacking since PT sacked off our pit bull in Charlie Lee. Fingers crossed he does well.