Marinakis era | Page 2 | Vital Football

Marinakis era

Christie he did improve but I’m not sure about the others especially Garner who I actually think got worse

The new CEO has been in about 8 weeks & 2 of those we’ve had a COVID outbreak

As you have said Hughz doesn’t know how to change this.

We need a new manager if that then goes wrong then we can start blaming CEO’s.
What has the COVID outbreak got to do with his job though? Fuckery for the manager but how does it stop Murphy doing his job?

Murphy has to do his job from day 1, not day 100. He happened to have been brought in just before the most crucial and important period of the club's season. He has to get the job done straight away. He's a CEO, not a teenager on the till. He's paid the money because he can come in and do the job, not to waste 2 months figuring how to get us relegated.

Where else would absolute categorical failure in the core of your job be defended, excused, even celebrated? The only place I can think of is in government.

One of the things I don't like about Hughton (or any manager) is the idea of the bomb squad. I would be fascinated to know what has happened with Arter, and whether that is a problem between him and the regime and him and Hughton. If it's the latter, then that is a massive failure of management and we need the player we are paying 40k to. Same with Jenkinson- a perfectly good player who would be a real asset in our current deminished state. We are paying him, he isn't likely to be going anywhere- fucking use him!

Our new ceo commented in the athletic on how he was leaning heavily on hughton for his vast experience

My background is accounting and financial systems so i probably understand it alot better than you .we need to sell. But we don't need to sign 20 bums out of it as we have done . Lamouchi Turned down Guerrero twice...that wasn't the manager choice.

Hughton can have no excuse but there must be a reason manager keep failing here. He said he was frustrated with lack of signings weeks ago.. we signed a sub keeper, zinc who is decent and a right back who spent all last year injured.

Not saying there aren’t problems but compared to Fawaz it’s totally different we can’t just constantly sign players & expecting Hughz to change just isn’t going to work as he’s shown he hasn’t & wouldn’t

Also his subs are embarrassing

Last edited:
What has the COVID outbreak got to do with his job though? Fuckery for the manager but how does it stop Murphy doing his job?

Murphy has to do his job from day 1, not day 100. He happened to have been brought in just before the most crucial and important period of the club's season. He has to get the job done straight away. He's a CEO, not a teenager on the till. He's paid the money because he can come in and do the job, not to waste 2 months figuring how to get us relegated.

Where else would absolute categorical failure in the core of your job be defended, excused, even celebrated? The only place I can think of is in government.

One of the things I don't like about Hughton (or any manager) is the idea of the bomb squad. I would be fascinated to know what has happened with Arter, and whether that is a problem between him and the regime and him and Hughton. If it's the latter, then that is a massive failure of management and we need the player we are paying 40k to. Same with Jenkinson- a perfectly good player who would be a real asset in our current deminished state. We are paying him, he isn't likely to be going anywhere- fucking use him!
Agree totally with your last paragraph, especially in reference to Jenks and Arter. Bong and Da Costa, can go, once we have a replacement LB.
I can guarantee that a new manager will bring those 2 back into the fold. Arter has to be a better option than Colback and Yates, and having him and Fornah in that role has to be a better option

Just knew this transfer window was going to be up there with the Mark Arthur days

I did say!

At least Fawaz signed players and kind of backed his managers

Im not having it as this as CH's fault he is a recognised good manager at this level

I think we have to recognise that we are at our level

I suspect once all the Clough generation die off ( including me ) the fans will be happier and more realistic

Are we all convinced that we are selling Worrall, and he's not injured? If so, why haven't we done the deal already. This, if true, is baffling me

Just knew this transfer window was going to be up there with the Mark Arthur days

I did say!

At least Fawaz signed players and kind of backed his managers

Im not having it as this as CH's fault he is a recognised good manager at this level

I think we have to recognise that we are at our level

I suspect once all the Clough generation die off ( including me ) the fans will be happier and more realistic

Sighh, maybe..

Current owner has backed the club to be fair, he just spent it unwisely It does make sense tho after covid and the failure on the pitch, bad investments and millions spent on the academy and even millions spent on planning applications then any right minded owner would be questioning things.

It would be totally understandable if he got Murphy in and said, look, sell half the squad if you can but spend it on the team cos there really aint much more cash coming from me right now. Youre a bright young thing apparently great with the poor clubs finances.

I aluuded to that before I guess in the sense that his experience isnt spending good money is it.

Bit silly keep hearing from some that it isnt CH's fault tho. You all watch the games. You all see the failures week in week out and the total inability try anything new or progressive. You can accept that optimism etc after a few games but not 50, thats just bullheaded.

Of course it isnt his fault that we aint doing well, its just stating the obvious, but its 100% his fault at failing to play good football or scoring goals or entertaining the fans or to be honest, even trying to. Think he played 2 up top twice for about an hour each? lol Hes lasted this long cos of Covid, thats it... hmm, OR hes got away with not making major changes cos we werrnt there. Well theres no secret anymore when youre getting booed is there

Last edited:
Perhaps we need a replacement first? Once that deal in place, we can confirm Worrall's departure.
if we dont sell them seemingly we are too skint to buy so hard to go with that right now.

What we might well find at this rate is we sell jo and have to pay over the odds in wages etc to attract players who aint featured in the first few games of thier clubs eh. Hey thats new

There isn’t a singular blame for this horror show. It’s BOTH the board and Hughton. The board have been shambolic in getting players in, and their woeful dealings have been emphasised due to the dreadful management of Chris Hughton on the field.

This is why it’s hard to even begin to know how we’re going to get out this mess. I have zero confidence in this recruitment team to get the players in, and if they somehow do, I have zero confidence in this management to get the best out of them and turn it around.

Now let’s assume they don’t get players in and Hughton has to turn it around with this squad…. That’s relegation all day long.

My initial thoughts are, get the players in and hope the manager does have it in him to sort, as that’s the most likely way we’ll end up being a championship team next year.

hmm, putting it like that maybe we need better lawyers at trhe club so we can tear up contracts for dereliction of duty.

'perfectly' good doesnt sound fair but I know what you mean, its a living body lol

There isn’t a singular blame for this horror show. It’s BOTH the board and Hughton. The board have been shambolic in getting players in, and their woeful dealings have been emphasised due to the dreadful management of Chris Hughton on the field.

yep, summed it up far better than me I admit lol

Did Murphy bring Valerien Ismael in as Barnsley manager ? That seems to have been a pretty decent appointment.

Barnsley had a good season and have some more than decent players on their books who won’t be on huge wages. Surprising therefore that we haven’t been linked with a single one of their players…

Barnsley had a good season and have some more than decent players on their books who won’t be on huge wages. Surprising therefore that we haven’t been linked with a single one of their players…

We seem to be targeting clubs like Derby and Reading, who must be desperate to bring some money in. The downside is of course, they also can't replace any players they sell due to the embargo. Remains to be seen if they cave in, plus obviously Derby won't really want to sell to us. Haven't we been linked with three Reading players now ? Holmes, Laurent and I think there was someone else ?

We seem to be targeting clubs like Derby and Reading, who must be desperate to bring some money in. The downside is of course, they also can't replace any players they sell due to the embargo. Remains to be seen if they cave in, plus obviously Derby won't really want to sell to us. Haven't we been linked with three Reading players now ? Holmes, Laurent and I think there was someone else ?
Clubs with embargo’s can be harder to buy from than clubs without as we are finding out. And that’s without a rivalry to consider.

Derby have named their price for Buchanan now though and it’s telling that nothing seems to have happened since.

I don’t remember a third Reading player being named but the two we have been linked with don’t seem to want to move.

Barnsley have a few players we should at least be watching with Murphy's links but not a whisper.

It is beginning to feel that the board can’t or won’t sanction any sort of real fee and with the state of our squad that is more than concerning. This ongoing relegation battle is all their own doing.